620 watts - will it do this..?

Azortharion

Yo - I'd like to know if this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095 can run these components, all pretty heftily overclocked.

CPU: i7-3770k @ as high as I can get it.

Cooling: H100i
Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB @ 2400 MHz (1.65v)

GPU: ASUS DCU2 GTX 770 @ as high as I can get it.

Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120G
HDD: WD Black 1TB
Other PCIe: Some wacko wireless card.

Fans: 2x 140 in front + 4x 120mm elsewhere.

Not expecting to fully tax this system (WoW/Streaming machine) with 100% load on everything but I'd like to know if 620W is cutting it - the PSU appears to be a pretty damn good one, if we check a PSU that's sort of in the same class on JonnyGuru it's pretty high rated: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185

I ran it through this PSU calculator and this is the results (I went a bit overboard with a lot of things to be "sure"): http://i.imgur.com/cnb6bKD.png

Set it to 100% peak load and stuff, but I want to be sure before I unwrap this PSU (or well it's scheduled to be here on Friday), will it do?

You should be good. Just don't SLI.

However if you are still ordering parts there are some tweaks I'd reccomend.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

yup. i think it will do the job

wow... pretty empty here...

It's a solid entry level PSU. I would have recommended you get the XFX XTR 550w, Rosewill Capstone 550w, Seasonic G 550w, or Cooler Master V550S in that $90USD price range though, but it would power your system just fine.

You should be good. Just don't SLI.

However if you are still ordering parts there are some tweaks I'd reccomend.

Well I ordered them a few hours ago so I don't think it's too late - what tweaks are they?

It's a solid entry level PSU. I would have recommended you get the XFX XTR 550w, Rosewill Capstone 550w, Seasonic G 550w, or Cooler Master V550S in that $90USD price range though, but it would power your system just fine.

XFX is $100 more, Rosewill is not a thing here, SeaSonic G is $40 more, Cooler Master is p.much the same price and looks pretty compelling for that price (almost too good.. dundundun?), it does look nice too, Idunno.

EDIT: Live in Denmark btw so PSU prices are all over the place and don't make much sense at all.

Well I ordered them a few hours ago so I don't think it's too late - what tweaks are they?

XFX is $100 more, Rosewill is not a thing here, SeaSonic G is $40 more, Cooler Master is p.much the same price and looks pretty compelling for that price (almost too good.. dundundun?), it does look nice too, Idunno.

EDIT: Live in Denmark btw so PSU prices are all over the place and don't make much sense at all.

No sound card and a non ASUS GPU. Other GPUs have better coolers.

However if you already ordered it don't worry because it is probably not worth the hassle.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

No sound card and a non ASUS GPU. Other GPUs have better coolers.

However if you already ordered it don't worry because it is probably not worth the hassle.

Well I already have the sound card - it's not a new build. I am upgrading atm:

i7 2600 to i7-3770k (could go Haswell but that'd mean I have to buy a new mobo and bllerrhh)

660 Ti to 770

CoolerMaster GX750W to SeaSonic M12ii 620W

I researched a bunch on the GPU brand, and while the Windforce OC seems to have a slightly better cooler, ASUS just seems like the most reliable/safest option out there and that's why I went with it.

550W is going to be ok, so 620W will be just fine for your rig, but it won't be enough if you will want to SLI in the future.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

i7 2600 to i7-3770k (could go Haswell but that'd mean I have to buy a new mobo and bllerrhh)

660 Ti to 770

I researched a bunch on the GPU brand, and while the Windforce OC seems to have a slightly better cooler, ASUS just seems like the most reliable/safest option out there and that's why I went with it.

That's not much of an upgrade at all.. You'd get better performance by just adding a 660 Ti for sli. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

XFX is cheaper in Denmark -_-

http://www.edbpriser.dk/stroemforsyning/xfx-core-edition-pro550w-id-5000995.aspx

PS: all XFX PSUs are made by Seasonic. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

660 Ti to 770

whhhhy????

The i7 2600 to i7-3770k won't give you a performance boost worth talking about. Even if you oc the CPU you won't see much higher game performance

The 660 Ti to 770 upgrade is just as WoodenMarker said kind of silly. You won't get much higher performance and a 660 ti is still very much a good mid-high end card. Like he said if you really want a high performance boost, then get a second 660 ti (in that case you could just keep your current 750W power supply)

As for the power supply, unless there is anything very wrong with it I don't see why you see the need to change it. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

That's not much of an upgrade at all.. You'd get better performance by just adding a 660 Ti for sli. 

WoW has a pretty crappy SLI profile, doesn't scale very well at all and I'm more about "stable" play than max FPS (WoW is not particularly hard to run, it likes clockspeed lots and I'll be doing livestreaming on top.. Dunno if I'll do Shadowplay encoding for it or not tho).

Also the reason I am getting a new PSU at all is that the current one is sort of dying.

The "main" reasons behind the 3770k choice

1) Streaming likes hyperthreading.

2) WoW likes clock speed.

3) WoW is a CPU-bound game to start with, at least in 25-man raiding where I actually crave the performance - during raiding I also wish to log all combat actions which is pretty taxing. Not sure if that benefits from hyperthreading though, it's in-OS.

I should probably have mentioned that I'm playing @ 2560x1440 too, though it might not be super relevant.

770 reasons

1) Figured the 7GHz memory would help driving a higher resolution though that's not necessarily entirely scientific.

2) Best price:performance I could find in my range for a single-card, I'm not going SLI, I think it sucks and I -especially- think it sucks for what I'm doing, which is just WoW + livestreaming. Literally not really any other games.

Just keep these things in mind, I'm still willing to hear suggestions. Not doubting the magnificence of SLI, just not for my usage. I'm not satisfied with my GPU temps to begin with and my current 660 Ti is basically from when the card was released.

The goal of the upgrade is to sort of take the weakest points in the system for what I'm doing and making them sort of up-to-shape. Like I mentioned I'd go Haswell if it didn't mean I'd have to buy a new motherboard and my current one is recently acquired. Not going for 140% gaming performance in Triple-A's or anything like that, I just wanna stream WoW in a 25-man environment and with WoW loving clockspeed as much as it does and me having a water cooler.. Well, yeah.

But yeah still open-minded just keep the things in mind.

EDIT: On the PSU thing, I really wanted modular or at least semi-modular else I could've gone significantly cheaper pretty easily.

That makes sense. I'd stick with the 660 Ti and go Haswell though. The 770 isn't that much of an upgrade. The 660 Ti is pretty much on par with the 760.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That makes sense. I'd stick with the 660 Ti and ho Haswell though. The 770 isn't that much of an upgrade. The 660 Ti is pretty much on par with the 760.

Having re-checked some SLI results for WoW it seems that scaling is close to 80%.. Might be shooting for that second 660 Ti as we're looking at TITAN-780 Ti GPU performance with that.

Only nasty thing is that a 660 Ti is the same price as a 770 unlesss I get some wacky version, but I do save $100 that way.. Wish I could save more though, because getting that second 660 Ti I'd still have to get a new PSU because this one is just shit (both on reviews + it's old, not gonna stuff new hardware in with this), AND a motherboard AND a Haswell processor and I simply can't fit that into the budget.

I do agree that jumping Sandy > Ivy seems wacky, it's mostly for the clock speed though which WoW really likes.

What do you think? 660 Ti SLI + 3770k + Some higher-end PSU? It's BARELY possible with the budget but can be done. Or 770 + 3770k + the PSU I picked? Other-than-WoW-gaming is a fairly low priority. On the other hand it's pretty sick to be able to wreck almost anything with mid-range SLI cards.

How would I go about cancelling an order I made about 7 hours ago? (It's 11:30 PM here now), or changing it a little bit? Is that possible/feasible/too much hassle? 

EDIT: Naturally Haswell is an option too, WoW seems to like both architecture and clock speed but I'd feel dumb sticking with a 660 Ti and going all-out with a 4770k and overclocking that. I really want some kind of balance, WoW likes it, streaming likes it. The whole PSU problem is bad - I'm not even 100% sure it's dying, it's just.. Not a PSU I like:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=188 is the unit.

It has developed a nasty habit of just.. Shutting down. Or well, the PC has. The PC goes into black-mode with the GPU fan at 100% (UNFATHOMABLY loud), when I press Reset it usually launches and does it again. I have to let it cooldown but OklahomaWolf mentions that it has problems when it hits 40c, however I mostly get this during simple web browsing. Sometimes I can game 12 hours a day for 5 days straight, then it just starts going down on me when web browsing. Is it dying - should I get a new PSU at all, can I trust it, will it blow me up? 660 Ti SLI + Motherboard + 4770k is possible with the budget if I don't have to buy a PSU I think. Or a 780 instead of the 770?

Few things to note, a 3930K@5GHz can't maximize a gtx 650 in 25m raids, so it's complety stupid to upgrade your 660ti or put in sli. Your 660ti is relaxing in 25m raids at 30% load at ultra settings with 8x AA, buying 2 770's in sli would give you the same frames but at 5/5% load instead. Your fps would be a lot higher than my 3930K+780 SLI setup in 25m raids, because your CPU has tons of more IPC (per core performance) and you should be using Shadowplay for streaming or use OBS (supports cuda as well).

I would go with an XFX 550W fully modular one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207032&clickid=1jxQsSVhp3kSxbER6JU5USCsUkTQ0OxVgQyU040&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Few things to note, a 3930K@5GHz can't maximize a gtx 650 in 25m raids, so it's complety stupid to upgrade your 660ti or put in sli. Your 660ti is relaxing in 25m raids at 30% load at ultra settings with 8x AA, buying 2 770's in sli would give you the same frames but at 5/5% load instead. Your fps would be a lot higher than my 3930K+780 SLI setup in 25m raids, because your CPU has tons of more IPC (per core performance) and you should be using Shadowplay for streaming or use OBS (supports cuda as well).

I would go with an XFX 550W fully modular one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207032&clickid=1jxQsSVhp3kSxbER6JU5USCsUkTQ0OxVgQyU040&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

"Your" CPU as in my CPU, is that the 3770k I'm thinking of, or?

I do use OBS with the NVENC shadowplay encoder thing. I reckon good old CPU-based stuff still looks better but I can deal.

As for that PSU, it's $100 more than the SeaSonic.