Different 1080 Ti designs - which one to pick?

Hey, looking for a used 1080 Ti, and I'm unsure which model to pick. Don't need a Galax HOF type 1080 Ti, but looking for something better than a MSI Armor design. A midrange design in other words. Either a B-rank or a C-rank design from the LTT GPU VRM/Cooling list. I've had good experience with EVGA cards, and I do have a slight EVGA bias. 

Thinking about a) the ROG Strix one, b) The MSI Gaming X one, or c) the EVGA SC2 one.

All around the same price. Which one would you choose? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for card designs that I might want to have a look at?

Thanks in advance to all who answer!

I would pick the Strix one. I know for a fact that there is a modded bios that allows higher power draw thus more overclocking for it (if you want to). Pick either one, none of them are bad choices imo.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I would pick the Strix one. I know for a fact that there is a modded bios that allows higher power draw thus more overclocking for it (if you want to). Pick either one, none of them are bad choices imo.

Thanks for that info! Do you know if the Strix card is dual BIOS?

I personally would choose the ROG Strix one. Nice RGB, not over the top, 3 fans and clean design.

EVGA SC2 would be my second choice, but I actually like the FTW ACX design more, which is the one I have. It's just more neat looking and nicer RGB.

MSI is my least favorite, but I found that a lot of people like this one. It's too simple for me and your PC has to match the red/black combo to make it stand out I think. For the EVGA and Asus, the grey or black pretty much always matches.

Other nice 1080 Ti designs are the white Gigabyte one, MSI Gaming X Trio, Gigabyte Aorus and Gainward Phoenix. And finally the Inno3D X4 Ultra. One of the craziest designs for the GTX 1000 line up, using a total of 4 fans on the card.

Just now, FRD said:

I personally would choose the ROG Strix one. Nice RGB, not over the top, 3 fans and clean design.

EVGA SC2 would be my second choice, but I actually like the FTW ACX design more, which is the one I have. It's just more neat looking and nicer RGB.

MSI is my least favorite, but I found that a lot of people like this one. It's too simple for me and your PC has to match the red/black combo to make it stand out I think. For the EVGA and Asus, the grey or black pretty much always matches.

Other nice 1080 Ti designs are the white Gigabyte one, MSI Gaming X Trio, Gigabyte Aorus and Gainward Phoenix. And finally the Inno3D X4 Ultra. One of the craziest designs for the GTX 1000 line up, using a total of 4 fans on the card.

The Strix one fits well as there are a lot more out there, on the market. Would you say around 750$ is a fair price (6000 NOK)?

Thanks for the detailed answer though!

I have 2x Strix and quite happy with them, I don't think they have dual bios (more of an EVGA feature iirc). From the two, I think the strix -> EVGA -> Msi are my preference order

4 minutes ago, alexander.o said:

Thanks for that info! Do you know if the Strix card is dual BIOS?

I don't think so, I believe EVGA Kingpin and FTW3 ones should have one.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

I don't think so, I believe EVGA Kingpin and FTW3 ones should have one.

Yeah I'd personally get a FTW3 card, but I can never find them for sale in Norway, so I'd rather get a Strix card then.

So I'll go with the Strix card. Is it advisable to repaste/repad Strix 1080Ti  cards (are the factory paste/pads bad)?

Just now, alexander.o said:

Yeah I'd personally get a FTW3 card, but I can never find them for sale in Norway, so I'd rather get a Strix card then.

So I'll go with the Strix card. Is it advisable to repaste/repad Strix 1080Ti  cards (are the factory paste/pads bad)?

It's a while its out of the case sort of thing for me. I usually always repaste my cards when they are new to me or out of my case.

2 minutes ago, alexander.o said:

Is it advisable to repaste/repad Strix 1080Ti  cards (are the factory paste/pads bad)?

if they have not been repasted before, then yes repaste them. but first test that it works and record temps using superposition benchmark and msi afterburner for example.

after rapeaste do that again

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Just now, Levent said:

It's a while its out of the case sort of thing for me. I usually always repaste my cards when they are new to me or out of my case.

That was my plan, yep. Anything else I should be careful about/know about the card/generation (anything nice to know about the 1080 Ti)?

Just now, SavageNeo said:

if they have not been repasted before, then yes repaste them. but first test that it works and record temps using superposition benchmark and msi afterburner for example.

after rapeaste do that again

Good idea. I was going to repaste it with Kryonaut, but wondering if the card is known for having bad factory paste

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 3:45 PM, Levent said:

I decided to get a Gaming X Trio instead. Bought in november 2017 and was used lighty since then according to the seller. Was local and a nice deal. 

Repasted with Kryonaut (I'm quite sure I used wayyy too much, it was 99% perfect and I needed 0.1 grams more but I accidentaly put a huge blob on the GPU), results after the temperature had stabilized in Furmark at 8x MSAA and 1080p windowed:

Before: 66C and 1911 MHz boost with power limit cranked to 117%, otherwise fully stock. 60% on the fans. 

After: 57C and 1923 MHz boost, with power limit cranked to 117%, otherwise fully stock. 60% fan speed. 

Quite a nice bump. 

Overall very happy with the 1080 Ti, runs all games at Ultra at over 60 fps on my 1440p monitor.