are NFC Rings any good?

Eniplay

Hey all,

During my nightly Wish scrollings, I've stumbled upon an NFC Ring. I was immediately drawn to it and googled it.

As it turns out there are a couple of manufacturers that do NFC Rings with which you can do wireless payments etc.

Has anyone tried one of these rings and can tell me if they're any good? They are pretty pricey at around 90€.

🌴🌊 What can I say except, You're welcome 🌊🌴

They work but I would NOT want to use them as they really aren't a safe thing to use.

You are basically walking around with a pay money button on your finger. Which sounds handy till you realize that it will activate with anything that has nfc and just so you know nfc is near field communication but that doesn't mean it isn't super easy to exploit it even with a limited range.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

They work but I would NOT want to use them as they really aren't a safe thing to use.

You are basically walking around with a pay money button on your finger. Which sounds handy till you realize that it will activate with anything that has nfc and just so you know nfc is near field communication but that doesn't mean it isn't super easy to exploit it even with a limited range.

That's true.

Atleast on your phone you need to have the payment app open and after your finished you usualy turn of NFC. 

2 minutes ago, Eniplay said:

That's true.

Atleast on your phone you need to have the payment app open and after your finished you usualy turn of NFC. 

It really is just a safety risk for a 90$ toy when all you need to do is take the phone out and tap it against something. A lot of payment apps do not even allow you to do nfc payments without their app anyways.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It really is just a safety risk for a 90$ toy when all you need to do is take the phone out and tap it against something. A lot of payment apps do not even allow you to do nfc payments without their app anyways.

My thought was like: "If your Smartwatch can do wireless payments, why shouldn't a ring do that too" but yeah, a Ring is pretty dumb without display, etc. On a watch, you at least can trigger the payment app manually and exit it too.

2 minutes ago, Eniplay said:

My thought was like: "If your Smartwatch can do wireless payments, why should a ring do that too" but yeah, a Ring is pretty dumb without display, etc. On a watch, you at least can trigger the payment app manually and exit it too.

There are a lot of apps that just say no to anything that isn't the phone. Same with payment terminals.

Yes you can do wireless payments on a NFC ring but its a stupid idea to set it up as such for very obvious reasons.

However, an NFC ring could be useful for a great many things. Like my gym has after hours access if you have their key fob that is NFC you can easily program that key onto your ring with a proxmark. Or if you have an RFID door on the house you could program your ring to open that with a proxmark. Hell you could even just upload your vCard onto the ring for easy business card info. Like here scan my ring and bam now they have your business card so you don't need to pass them out anymore, and you look cool and advanced. All this same stuff applies to getting an RFID implant you can do the same stuff with one of those its just a bit more discrete than a ring because you cant see it so it looks like magic 😛 And in case you're wondering an RFID implant is safe to use even when you're out doing some lead acceleration at the range.

Although since you're looking on wish i say don't buy it because we all know wish is a scam site.