Exchange GPU fans with Noctua fans Stupid idea?

SamClan
Go to solution Solved by SamClan,

905314872_TemperaturNoctua.gif.0d73f6c5692f577cf9085cd5b8aecaf1.gif

it is done Noctua Fans are installed, it gots a little bit more noisy then before (bequiet) well fans are spinning faster But it got cooler I would call it a success. 

okay, to make it short I have a Gigabyte GeForce Rtx 2060 Super Gaming OC 8GC GDDR6. This version has 3 noisy fans. 

why not just put 2 to 3 NF-A12x25 PWM Fans on it instead? 

Just pull off the plastic surroundings with the fans and connect noctua fans with some zip ties? I can controll the fan speed with a hub that shouldn't be the problem. 

Why? Less noise and Temperature. 

please give me your thoughts. 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

I mean, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Not sure you'd end up seeing lower temperatures in the end, but you'd at least have less noise.

Theoretically you could even get away with buying an adapter to convert your card's PWM header into something the fans can use because A12x25's are in all likelyhood lower power draw fans than stock (I've been doing something roughly similar with my 1050Ti since shortly after I got it).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Easy enough to do, as @flibberdippersaid you can buy adapters which would allow the GPU to continue controlling the fans for you. Although noctua fans tend to run lower RPM so would want some low noise adapters to drop the fan speed as well. 

Its not a stupid idea, most people just don't do it because of atheistic reasons. 

2 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

most people just don't do it because of atheistic reasons. 

lol. 

OP: I you should also consider that your temps might not improve at all because limiting factor is usually the heatsink, not the fans.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

lol. 

OP: I you should also consider that your temps might not improve at all because limiting factor is usually the heatsink, not the fans.

But he said noise was his reasoning, and installing better and larger fans will help with that. 

What’s the rest of your case flow like? I doubt you would get much benefit swapping fans..  but you might. I would look at other places to improve on first. But if this is your last resort then it is what it is..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

Right now I am doing a 15 min Furmark test.

1x 120 mm 

1x 140 mm former case fan (if it works I will exchange it later) 

both silent wings 3

Noise level is way down I mean really down. 

one problem was the difference size of the fan Plugs, had to use wires to connect them. Graphic card is able to control the fan speed. 

Update soon

1621190741662.jpg

1621190741626.jpg

1621190741640.jpg

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

we have the results. Furmark is still running (wanna know if it crashes)

Afterwards it is hotter but way more silent. (at 10 min mark it was around the same but 1° hotter) 

before it is less hot but more noisy (10 min furmark test) 

Temperatur after.gif

Temperatur before.gif

2 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Easy enough to do, as @flibberdippersaid you can buy adapters which would allow the GPU to continue controlling the fans for you. Although noctua fans tend to run lower RPM so would want some low noise adapters to drop the fan speed as well. 

Its not a stupid idea, most people just don't do it because of atheistic reasons. 

it looks awful, funny thing my graphic-card has a 4 pin PWM header. everything is plugged in and controlled by the GPU 

Technically splitter to splitter to fan 1 and 2 

2 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

I mean, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Not sure you'd end up seeing lower temperatures in the end, but you'd at least have less noise.

Theoretically you could even get away with buying an adapter to convert your card's PWM header into something the fans can use because A12x25's are in all likelyhood lower power draw fans than stock (I've been doing something roughly similar with my 1050Ti since shortly after I got it).

I did it. Thank you for your encouragement. Noise difference as day as night. 

So I just bought Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM and will install them tomorrow and I will redo the test and compare the Temps.

not sure if someone is interested in the results. 

905314872_TemperaturNoctua.gif.0d73f6c5692f577cf9085cd5b8aecaf1.gif

it is done Noctua Fans are installed, it gots a little bit more noisy then before (bequiet) well fans are spinning faster But it got cooler I would call it a success.