What is wrong with north american housing?

Plermpel
Just now, dalekphalm said:

Both of those prices (even after converting to CAD) are vastly cheaper than even a 1bedroom Condo in Southern Ontario.

wheres the :eek: icon when you need it!!!

11 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

as in at least the same state lol

The problem is there are rural and urban areas in every state.  State is more like a modifier. I watched some videos on state by state stuff someone was posting on “what video are you watching?” But it was clear that county matters a lot more than state, and neighborhood matters more than county.   The difference between edina and NE minneapolis are quite striking.  They’re both suburbs of minneapolis though.  Of course NE minneapolis is a much preferable place to live than, say, a favella.  The “shooting gallery” neighborhood of NE minneapolis used to be as close to a favella as minneapolis got.  May have changed.  There was ironically a major shift in what neighborhoods were what created by the subprime mortgage crisis.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

wheres the :eek: icon when you need it!!!

You don't even know the half of it.

So Vancouver (BC) and Toronto (Ontario) both have your typical "massive city overpricing" that's insane compared to anywhere else. But in the rest of Southern Ontario, the prices are getting pretty bad themselves.

A fixer-upper here would be in the neighbourhood of $300,000+ CAD. A decent newer house that won't need renovating or updating is easily pushing $500K to $600K, and some cities and areas are even seeing "regular" houses go for above that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So Vancouver (BC) and Toronto (Ontario) both have your typical "massive city overpricing" that's insane compared to anywhere else. But in the rest of Southern Ontario, the prices are getting pretty bad themselves.

A fixer-upper here would be in the neighbourhood of $300,000+ CAD. A decent newer house that won't need renovating or updating is easily pushing $500K to $600K, and some cities and areas are even seeing "regular" houses go for above that.

‘S what you get for living in a place that was once described as “New York as run by the Swiss”. I’d move there in a hot minute.  Of course so would a lot of other people.  Hence high land prices.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Those are “in metro and nice” prices for houses here.  

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

‘S what you get for living in a place that was once described as “New York as run by the Swiss”. I’d move there in a hot minute.  Of course so would a lot of other people.  Hence high land prices.

These prices are not for Toronto.

For Toronto, you'd be looking at $600K+ for a piece of shit falling apart. I believe average detached prices have reached over $1m.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

*snip*

and some cities and areas are even seeing "regular" houses go for above that.

Yeah, this is the issue with metropolitan cities.

Montreal island and greater area is getting ridiculous. Bought my house for $450k 2 years ago, and from similar house that are sold in my area, it's now probably worth $200k more. My wife keeps an eye on real estate, she sent me a listing for a house that basically needed to be completely redone (kitchen had holes in the floor, bathroom had mold everywhere, roof needed to be done, basement needed to be redone, electrical issues, etc...), it was listed for $399K and sold for $439k ! (I'm guessing a contractor bought it to flip it because that area has houses going for $800k+).

It's not exactly my area, but it's totally consistant with what I'm seeing around my neighborhood ;

https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel=15&Center=45.515052%2C-73.681020&LatitudeMax=45.52380&LongitudeMax=-73.65527&LatitudeMin=45.50630&LongitudeMin=-73.70677&Sort=1-A&PropertyTypeGroupID=1&PropertySearchTypeId=1&TransactionTypeId=2&BuildingTypeId=1&Currency=CAD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Canada would be lung cancer because of the asbestos if it's an old house ! 😛

I grew up in a house built in the 70's that had quite a bit of asbestos in it, and i'm fine.

The real problem was that the house foundation ended up literally cracking in half and sinking ~1 inch, so there was a crack running through the entire house.

That wasn't necessarily a fault of the house though, when it was built nobody really cared about what kind of material the house was built on. The clay under the house expanded every time that it rained. Because it was in the desert it would dry out fairly quickly and contract. Over time this ended up totally wrecking the foundation and the house.

As for the OP's original post, I mean, most modern buildings are made of wood and gypsum (drywall). It basically just depends on the weather in your area and what disasters can happen. Out here the only real concern is flash flooding, though there hasn't been a bad one in 20+ years. 

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, FakeATF said:

I

As for the OP's original post, I mean, most modern buildings are made of wood and gypsum (drywall). It basically just depends on the weather in your area and what disasters can happen. Out here the only real concern is flash flooding, though there hasn't been a bad one in 20+ years. 

My GFs daughter has a new build and they've had no end of problems that are having to be sorted under guarantee not least of which is that the entire development (plus some others by the same company) used the "wrong sort of mortar mix" 

On 5/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, Plermpel said:

Are their any solid buildings in USA/canada?

Condescending remarks or trollism about other countries are not something we want in this forum.

If you wish to pose a proper discussion on Tech, please do so.

-= Topic Locked =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER