Higher settings = Higher FPS?

VulsaviiK

So I'm a little curious as to why this happened.

Essentially when I ran a benchmark for Shogun 2: Total War for a friend, turning up particles, unit size and anti-aliasing produced a higher framerate.

Off steams default "high" benchmark, I got an average FPS of about 85, which is inline which seems about right (Seeing as with the settings on ultra, people seem to be getting a little over 70 fps in reviews of this card). With all of the settings turned up further, higher anti-aliasing, increased unit size and increased particles/effects, the result, which I was expecting to be about 70fps, clocked in at... 105fps average?

Now, I would have passed this onto a bugged benchmark, but I ran it again and got a similar result, +/- 1-2 frames, and although I can't remember exact figures, I know the same thing happened in both H.A.W.X 2 and Dawn of War II.

Can someone explain why higher settings might produce a higher framerate here?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

lol

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

With the Total War benchmark do you have unlimited memory selected (not 100% sure it's on Shogun 2, could just be a Rome 2 thing)?

Either way, the Total War series is known for lowering the settings to produce good fps...

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

Arma: Armed Assualt, 2 and OA came up with that idea.   The higher the settings I put, the higher the FPS until I hit about 50FPS in which it drops off again. Silly silly Arma engine.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Yeah make sure the game isn't turning down options FOR you, as Redspade suggested. It's a known "design choice" with the game.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

The reason is that the higher your settings are, the load is put on the GPU rather than the processor

If you put the settings on LOW, then the processor has to do all the work with very little GPU

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The reason is that the higher your settings are, the load is put on the GPU rather than the processor

If you put the settings on LOW, then the processor has to do all the work with very little GPU

I'd agree with you, but the OP put the settings at High then Ultra...

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

that's awkward ,! i'd say something is wrong with the frames recorder ,because if you turn up the load on the GPU it'll perform slower ,we all know that, try to notice any improvement in the performance according to what you see not the frames ,or use a big monitor or several ones in eyefinity ,because sometime having too much power within the GPU may result slow down when the load on it isn't that large ,this is interesting i'll test it on my system  

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

well as far as i know ,using a dedicated graphics card is for it to do the graphics work and not the integrated GPU because it's a DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD,DEDICATED :huh: That means taking the load off of the Cpu

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

well as far as i know ,using a dedicated graphics card is for it to do the graphics work and not the integrated GPU because it's a DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD,DEDICATED :huh: That means taking the load off of the Cpu

What i mean is, take a game for example

Put it on low graphics, the amount of processing done by the graphics card is lowered, therefore the CPU has to do all the work

Put it on high gaphics, the GPU now has to do alot more processing and the CPU just supports it

thats why in CPU taxing games, DAYZ for example, high graphics takes some of the load off the CPU as the computer can send the GPU mode data

that is my understanding anyway

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What i mean is, take a game for example

Put it on low graphics, the amount of processing done by the graphics card is lowered, therefore the CPU has to do all the work

Put it on high gaphics, the GPU now has to do alot more processing and the CPU just supports it

thats why in CPU taxing games, DAYZ for example, high graphics takes some of the load off the CPU as the computer can send the GPU mode data

that is my understanding anyway

oh ,yah ,cool