RAM Upgrading - MHz confusion

Go to solution Solved by Quackers101,
Just now, VirtualEagle said:

So in general terms, the RAM speed I need to match (with a new ram) in order to have dual channel working is the 2400Mhz? Right?
I got a little confused with the 3 replies, but thank you all... : )

Often you should buy the SAME RAM, you could try mixing but is not recommended for someone who is new to this.

As you might have to deal with more detailed issues, but if the same MHz and GB it's going to be at least more likely to work?

Basically what I undestood is that, because thanks to the DDR, the raw speed, 1200MHz (what CPU-Z reports) is doubled, and that I actually have to buy a 2400MHz to get dual channel working.

Yes and no, if they have the same speed it's not 100% they are going to match as there are more details to it.

But you are right in that it would likely be 2400 you are dealing with, and if you got the package it should state on that too.

or if the RAM got a sticker on it that says what it is.

So in short you are correct about the speed for said MHz, if you got 1200 and its 2400.

System Specs (I know its trash):
-Mother Board: ASRock A320M-HDV
-CPU: AMD A8-9600

-GPU (Integrated): AMD A8-9600 RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G

-RAM: Kingston, 8gb DDR4 (1200MHz [heres comes the confusion]) P/N: HP24D4U7S8MBP/8

So I was recently thinking about upgrading my ram first to have 16gb total. I searched all the details, watched almost all Linus RAM tips, watched other videos as well, i have all clear at the moment of physically installing ram, but at the moment of the ram specs I get a little confused. I know that to dual channel to work, i need the same brand, speed, size, etc. But... when I was searching for the same ram, it seems its no longer existing. Also, I saw great part of the rams being 2400mhz. Heres comes the problem. In the sticker in the ram, its says something like: "PC4-2400R-UA1-11", and so i though: "maybe that 2400R thing is the speed of the ram", but in CPU-Z says its 1200Mhz. T

That's basically the problem. 1. I dont know if the 2400R thing in the sticker is the speed or do i believe in cpu-z and the 1200mhz.

Thanks. I might be the dumbest person, but pls help me...

2400 MHz is double data rate, so it's actually 1200 MHz physically, which is what CPU-Z reports.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, VirtualEagle said:

I know its trash

Doesnt matter.

3 minutes ago, VirtualEagle said:

That's basically the problem. 1. I dont know if the 2400R thing in the sticker is the speed or do i believe in cpu-z and the 1200mhz.

CPU-Z is reporting that correctly, because of the DDR in DDR4. Double Data Rate means that the raw speed is doubled in its spec, so say CPU-Z reports 1600mhz, that means you have 3200mhz RAM. The 2400 means it runs at 2400mhz, you were correct.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

since it's DDR4, you wouldn't really get to or able to buy such speed.

Unless its like stated above, the confusion about how we label what MHz and you see it different else where.

So long it's DDR4 and your motherboard supports that speed, and it's the same stick (often smaller ones are laptop ones and they look different).

Else anything else you should be fine with, higher speed and lower CL can do better. If you already have some RAM or thinking about adding more sticks with the current RAM? There you have to be careful mixing, not all ram is welcoming to other ram and might not do well. (it will not harm your system though)

Also we dont really use ECC (most common now, is non-ECC and is cheaper than ECC) if you wonder what that is about, but might be more common with DDR5 if what others have said is true. (ECC is a sort of error correction system).

So in general terms, the RAM speed I need to match (with a new ram) in order to have dual channel working is the 2400Mhz? Right?

Basically what I undestood is that, because thanks to the DDR, the raw speed, 1200MHz (what CPU-Z reports) is doubled, and that I actually have to buy a 2400MHz to get dual channel working. Is that right? Did I understood? lol

Often you should buy the SAME RAM, you could try mixing but is not recommended for someone who is new to this.

As you might have to deal with more detailed issues, but if the same MHz and GB it's going to be at least more likely to work?

Basically what I undestood is that, because thanks to the DDR, the raw speed, 1200MHz (what CPU-Z reports) is doubled, and that I actually have to buy a 2400MHz to get dual channel working.

Yes and no, if they have the same speed it's not 100% they are going to match as there are more details to it.

But you are right in that it would likely be 2400 you are dealing with, and if you got the package it should state on that too.

or if the RAM got a sticker on it that says what it is.

So in short you are correct about the speed for said MHz, if you got 1200 and its 2400.

Thank you very much to the 3 of you, I really appreciate your help.

I now may start with the world of upgrading : )