Feedback, change: Creating new Topic

I do wish you could submit a topic, but instead of getting kicked out.

When trying to submit one, check on when hitting the button (can be a little delay). To see if you are able to submit before submitting, else when you do it now, you will just be sent to a new page stating an error... the whole topic is deleted before being able to post. Either by being logged out, or other by reasons.

I literally have no idea what the post I just read is trying to say...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

This is bit hard for me to test as I have posting rights to all subforums we have. But from your description, it sounds more like a bug. AFAIK you can't even start new thread on subforums you are not allowed to (LTT Official, Forum Information, and with sub-100 posts, Classifieds). On all other subforums, if you start creating a topic, but can't submit for any reason, it should just show error, but save content of the post in the editor. Nothing on forum should log you out, thats more like a bug or browser feature.

If you would be posting to a thread which is being locked or removed (or merged) as you are typing, you will get error page.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

else when you do it now, you will just be sent to a new page stating an error... the whole topic is deleted before being able to post. Either by being logged out, or other by reasons.

The only reasons I can think of why someone would be unable to successfully submit a new topic post is if they log out of the forum from another tab before posting or are banned. If you're banned from the forum then obviously you won't be able to post regardless. As for logging out, simply don't log out of the forum while writing a post...

If you failed to include required information in the post (for example the thread title) then it will give an error, flag the title section as This field is required, and your drafted post should remain in the editor.

Are there any other situations where you have been unable to successfully submit a new topic?

You may receive an error when posting a reply to a topic if the thread is deleted or locked while you are drafting your reply, but if the thread is locked or deleted does it matter that the draft isn't saved since you can no longer post it in reply to that thread anyway?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I've noted a bit of lag between a post being made and it actually appearing, at least on the main forum page.
That could be it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

The only reasons I can think of why someone would be unable to successfully submit a new topic post is if they log out of the forum from another tab before posting or are banned.

But I just wonder why it doesn't take you back to the post you created after hitting submit.

As I see LTT forum can save your comment but not thread submission?

Might have to do with my browser, as I will be logged out after a time, which I haven't had much of an issue with before.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

But I just wonder why it doesn't take you back to the post you created after hitting submit.

As I see LTT forum can save your comment but not thread submission?

Might have to do with my browser, as I will be logged out after a time, which I haven't had much of an issue with before.

It does take you to thread you made. That is the normal behaviour. So if this happens to you constantly, then its a bug. Also, the contents are saved, to all text fields AFAIK.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

It does take you to thread you made. That is the normal behaviour. So if this happens to you constantly, then its a bug. Also, the contents are saved, to all text fields AFAIK.

it does but empty, unlike with comments.

I guess it can be an aggressive browser that does it when taken off page, but more reliable with comments again... so not sure.

Can you record your screen when reproducing it, and post it here? I'm sure I understand the issue, and it will be much easier with a video of what you're experiencing (or at least a sequence of screenshots).

HTTP/2 203

So yeah I noticed now, it only happens when I'm auto "logged out" after a certain time.

Might produce it later and screen it.

Here is what it would look like when it's similar to the comment system and it working as such?

Spoiler

316415712_Screenshot_2021-05-13CreateNewTopic-LinusTechTips.thumb.png.90a3093b749555fc8969c9e67882fa1e.png1693919574_Screenshot_2021-05-13CreateNewTopic-LinusTechTips(1).thumb.png.028fe785272f2324ad1a6ebfa765234a.png

So I guess it works as it should, when logged in.

That it's very specific, likely by browser paused the page and somehow logs me out? (not sure what that would be called)

Were I would be put back to the forum if I logout, which I guess is the point. But if I get logged out without doing it manually, I'm still at the page and can click submit which is what confused me. And just thought if one are already there, one could check if one can be able to submit when clicking on the button (get message if error), before continuing.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

So yeah I noticed now, it only happens when I'm auto "logged out" after a certain time.

Might produce it later and screen it.

Here is what it would look like when it's similar to the comment system and it working as such?

Hide contents

316415712_Screenshot_2021-05-13CreateNewTopic-LinusTechTips.thumb.png.90a3093b749555fc8969c9e67882fa1e.png1693919574_Screenshot_2021-05-13CreateNewTopic-LinusTechTips(1).thumb.png.028fe785272f2324ad1a6ebfa765234a.png

So I guess it works as it should, when logged in.

That it's very specific, likely by browser paused the page and somehow logs me out? (not sure what that would be called)

Were I would be put back to the forum if I logout, which I guess is the point. But if I get logged out without doing it manually, I'm still at the page and can click submit which is what confused me. And just thought if one are already there, one could check if one can be able to submit when clicking on the button (get message if error), before continuing.

When you log in, do you check "Remember Me"?

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

When you log in, do you check "Remember Me"?

sometimes by accident, but that wouldn't work with my current browser setting.

Would that change anything tho?

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

sometimes by accident, but that wouldn't work with my current browser setting.

Would that change anything tho?

If you don't select "Remember Me", you will be logged out after about 30 minutes of inactivity, and I suspect that's what's happening here.

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you don't select "Remember Me", you will be logged out after about 30 minutes of inactivity, and I suspect that's what's happening here.

oh. there is such a thing in the system? geez 😛

*no more cat videos late at night*

Also thanks for answering, likely found what caused it.

Edited by Quackers101
yay mortis got that neon cat magic