Thoughts on a PC build I'm making?

So much... Why?

Honestly, the spending balance is all over the place and you couldve get more performance out of the computer and your stream gear. Whats your budget on this setup?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

So much... Why?

Honestly, the spending balance is all over the place and you couldve get more performance out of the computer and your stream gear. Whats your budget on this setup?

the budget is 5000-6000. what could i remove and put in to get more performance?

If you're building a pc. You should look into a prebuilt. Right now they are usually able to get you access to RTX 30 series GPUs and ryzen 5000 series CPUs. as they get their own stock of them.. 

Also your parts are all over the place. 

I would suggest you scrap webroot. Windows defender is free and better. (and it comes preinstalled)

You can snag windows 10 off kinguin for like 30 bucks

Why are you buying a 600 dollar mobo, when you are buying a hard drive? You could get a 200 dollar mobo and 4TB of SSD storage for the same price. (FYI you can get USB and add-in card wifi adapters. you don't have to use a mobo for it.)

Also why 128GB of ram? Do you have a purpose? I'm all about overkill. But even 64gb would probably be 4x what you could use. 

Also captures cards are garbage. with RTX 20 and 30 series cards they can do what you want, and better than the card can. (For everything besides external console capture)

I would spend more money on the monitor. 27" 1440p has been the golden standard for me for years. And based on your use case you could look into different monitors.

4 minutes ago, Suicuniculate said:

the budget is 5000-6000. what could i remove and put in to get more performance?

Does your budget include the desk and misc stuff in the list? Or just a computer, monitor, perif?
(Also you should say your main use cases, a gaming pc is gonna be different from a productivity pc.)

1 minute ago, Icefire555 said:

If you're building a pc. You should look into a prebuilt. Right now they are usually able to get you access to RTX 30 series GPUs and ryzen 5000 series CPUs. as they get their own stock of them.. 

Also your parts are all over the place. 

I would suggest you scrap webroot. Windows defender is free and better. (and it comes preinstalled)

You can snag windows 10 off kinguin for like 30 bucks

Why are you buying a 600 dollar mobo, when you are buying a hard drive? You could get a 200 dollar mobo and 4TB of SSD storage for the same price. (FYI you can get USB and add-in card wifi adapters. you don't have to use a mobo for it.)

Also why 128GB of ram? Do you have a purpose? I'm all about overkill. But even 64gb would probably be 4x what you could use. 

Also captures cards are garbage with RTX 20 and 30 series cards. They can do what you want, and better than the card can. (For everything besides external console capture)

I would spend more money on the monitor. 27" 1440p has been the golden standard for me for years. And based on your use case you could look into different monitors.

1. Prebuilts are dog crap, I have one right now and it's been freezing multiple times, CPU is fine, and it has no reason to freeze.
2. Webroot is alright, i was thinking malwarebytes pro though. Windows defender will stay as well.
3. I'd rather keep all my purchases on one platform
4. If you could link me to a cheaper one, that would be great.
5. I just want to go overkill, that's all
6. What problems come up with RTX 20 and 30 cards?
7. Thanks for the advice! I'll look for a better one

8 minutes ago, Icefire555 said:

Does your budget include the desk and misc stuff in the list? Or just a computer, monitor, perif?
(Also you should say your main use cases, a gaming pc is gonna be different from a productivity pc.)

it inlcudes the misc and pc

1. Prebuilts are dog crap, I have one right now and it's been freezing multiple times, CPU is fine, and it has no reason to freeze.

Just because your prebuilt freezes doesn't mean all are bad. In this current day and age buying a prebuilt is as justifiable as ever.

Also, RAM is overkill (Almost no one can use even 64). Case sucks, swap for 5000d airflow. The GPU is wayyyy too expensive. And others are talking abt a 600 dollar mobo, I can't seem to find it, but a 600 dollar mobo is dumb in 99.999% of use cases.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Just now, davemc said:

Just because your prebuilt freezes doesn't mean all are bad. In this current day and age buying a prebuilt is as justifiable as ever.

Also, RAM is overkill (Almost no one can use even 64). Case sucks, swap for 5000d airflow. The GPU is wayyyy too expensive. And others are talking abt a 600 dollar mobo, I can't seem to find it, but a 600 dollar mobo is dumb in 99.999% of use cases.

yeahhh the gpu is way too much thats what i was thinking. and if almost nobody can use 64gb, ill look for a 64gb. i dont wanna spend more money on things i dont need lol

12 minutes ago, Suicuniculate said:

2. Webroot is alright, i was thinking malwarebytes pro though. Windows defender will stay as well.
3. I'd rather keep all my purchases on one platform
4. If you could link me to a cheaper one, that would be great.
5. I just want to go overkill, that's all
6. What problems come up with RTX 20 and 30 cards?
7. Thanks for the advice! I'll look for a better one

1. Prebuilts aren't crap. The ones you buy apparently are.

- Don't get me wrong. I build my own computers. But there are 2 main types of system builders. boutique and Manufactured. boutique is literally a custom build, made by someone else. Manufactured would be some off the shelf alienware or HP omen. I'm suggesting this only because we're in a shortage. And you're spending 1000 dollars on a 2060. When you could get a 3070 for 300 dollars less. that performs 80% better. And those system builders have their own allocation of computer parts. That consumers can't buy "Off the shelves"

2. You live your life. But your freezing issue may very likely be caused by webroot. It likes to scan every file you access. And those applications usually don't like that. that or you need to be more careful to not get viruses.

3. I don't understand why a 6k budget would limit you from purchasing an item from another company. But you're shooting yourself in the foot with that choice. 

4. Your mobo choice really is going to be based on your needs. But any budget board would likely be more than enough.

5. I can respect that. But I still question budgeting a quarter of your build in ram when your monitor is from the budget bin. And you will be looking at that the entire time you use the computer. 

6. Sorry, I phrased that poorly. I meant that Capture cards are garbage for anything besides capturing consoles. If you don't plan on doing that. I would skip it. Shadowplay can capture lossless video at almost no penalty. And every capture card will cause lag. Even if it states it doesn't. (Usually it's 3-16ms) Often capture cards are finicky. and require a lot of effort to get working well. 

2 minutes ago, Icefire555 said:

1. Prebuilts aren't crap. The ones you buy apparently are.

- Don't get me wrong. I build my own computers. But there are 2 main types of system builders. boutique and Manufactured. boutique is literally a custom build, made by someone else. Manufactured would be some off the shelf alienware or HP omen. I'm suggesting this only because we're in a shortage. And you're spending 1000 dollars on a 2060. When you could get a 3070 for 300 dollars less. that performs 80% better. And those system builders have their own allocation of computer parts. That consumers can't buy "Off the shelves"

2. You live your life. But your freezing issue may very likely be caused by webroot. It likes to scan every file you access. And those applications usually don't like that. that or you need to be more careful to not get viruses.

3. I don't understand why a 6k budget would limit you from purchasing an item from another company. But you're shooting yourself in the foot with that choice. 

4. Your mobo choice really is going to be based on your needs. But any budget board would likely be more than enough.

5. I can respect that. But I still question budgeting a quarter of your build in ram when your monitor is from the budget bin. And you will be looking at that the entire time you use the computer. 

6. Sorry, I phrased that poorly. I meant that Capture cares are garbage for anything besides capturing consoles. If you don't plan on doing that. I would skip it. Shadowplay can capture lossless video at almost no penalty. And every capture card will cause lag. Even if it states it doesn't. (Usually it's 3-16ms) Often capture cards are finicky. and require a lot of effort to get working well. 

phrased the prebuilts thing, ibuypower prebuilts are bad, thats what i meant
i see, where could i get parts for cheaper?
never knew webroot did that, ty for telling me
the monitor i chose is cheaper because i already have a monitor
ill use the capture card for consoles only lol
@davemc told me that 64gb is enough since almost nobody can use that much, so i've already fixed that

Here are a list of computers that sport Ryzen 5000 series CPUs and RTX 30 Series GPUs. Both of which. you will not find for sale at MSRP. 

https://www.ibuypower.com/gaming-pcs/amd-desktops/ryzen-5000-series

The saga pro and phoenix would both smoke the pc you put together for a fraction of the cost. You can use that extra budget to upgrade ram.

Before tax your PC came out to around 3360.

Leaving you 720 bucks on the phoenix for ram. 

Pros: 
+80% GPU performance

+40% CPU performance

Has an SSD boot drive, and 2tb hard drive space

Con:

Win 10 home (Not pro)

only 32gb ram by default

That was with 30seconds of googling. There are plenty of other people selling systems. But it's up to you to look into what brand you like. 

Looks like a pretty overkill machine for Solitare, I wouldn't get it.

Also looks pretty bad at deep AI learning development.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Looks like a pretty overkill machine for Solitare, I wouldn't get it.

Also looks pretty bad at deep AI learning development.

im not sure if this is a joke or not 
lol??

Just now, Suicuniculate said:

im not sure if this is a joke or not 
lol??

The point is you didn't tell us what it's being used for, so any advice is borderline useless.

Just taking a quick glance at your list:

• Absolutely no need for that much RAM
  • Why do you have an SD card in there?
  • You don't need that much thermal compound
  • The case has very poor cooling, get a different one
  • 10900k and a 2060? Unbalanced much?
  • No SSD?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

phrased the prebuilts thing, ibuypower prebuilts are bad, thats what i meant
i see, where could i get parts for cheaper?
never knew webroot did that, ty for telling me
the monitor i chose is cheaper because i already have a monitor
ill use the capture card for consoles only lol
@davemc told me that 64gb is enough since almost nobody can use that much, so i've already fixed that

Thinking about it. If your current computer uses a hard drive for it's main drive. It's likely causing freezing. 

Hard drives are SLOW. and I would never recommend a computer that uses a hard drive for it's operating system. 

There is a reason linus calls them "Spinning rust" They are an old tech. They work. But are not suited for that kind of workload.

@ getting parts cheaper. We're in a shortage. This is the worst time to be building a computer. Because you can't get anything. I just sold my old 1660 super for 2x what I paid for it. You're option is to buy used parts at a markup, buy a prebuilt, or hope you can beat an army of scalpers to get the card you want. And let me tell you. I designed my own bot to get my parts. And even with that running. it took 2 weeks to get a card. (and it checked every 15 seconds all day) Often they are sold out in under 30 seconds and don't restock for another day or week.

I host all my friends game servers and 32gb was more than enough. Developing games in UE4 is the only time I've broken 32gb of usage. I currently have UE4 open, dozens of chrome tabs (60 tabs per task manager), RDP into a work laptop, steam. and I'm sitting at 28/64gb (I also disabled the ram page file, so it's not storing any old files on my boot drive. Meaning extra usage). Unless you have a reason. you're likely wasting money going above 32gb. But it's your computer. if you want more memory. go for it! (above 64gb though. Really is just burning money unless you have a use)

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

The point is you didn't tell us what it's being used for, so any advice is borderline useless.

Just taking a quick glance at your list:

• Absolutely no need for that much RAM
  • Why do you have an SD card in there?
  • You don't need that much thermal compound
  • The case has very poor cooling, get a different one
  • 10900k and a 2060? Unbalanced much?
  • No SSD?

OHH
also im currently choosing parts again using pc part picker, ill send the link once done
@'ing @Icefire555 so he can see this too

2 minutes ago, Suicuniculate said:

OHH
also im currently choosing parts again using pc part picker, ill send the link once done
@'ing @Icefire555 so he can see this too

Good luck getting parts. We're in a shortage. Unless you're fine paying the markup from scalpers. Might as well pay less, buy from a custom builder. And get a warranty. 

Here's a custom pc builder

https://maingear.com/product/maingear-f131-2021/ ($2100 starting price) Offers RTX 3080 option

This offers all the new parts.

https://maingear.com/product/maingear-rush-2021/ ($2300 starting price) Offers RTX 3090 option

3 minutes ago, Icefire555 said:

Good luck getting parts. We're in a shortage. Unless you're fine paying the markup from scalpers. Might as well pay less, buy from a custom builder. And get a warranty. 

https://maingear.com/product/maingear-f131-2021/ ($2100 starting price) Offers RTX 3080 option

https://maingear.com/product/maingear-rush-2021/ ($2300 starting price) Offers RTX 3090 option

ty ill take a look

1 hour ago, Suicuniculate said:

leave your thoughts below, let me know if theres something i dont need or if im missing something

thanks!!

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/XRLM9UJM0EL3?ref_=wl_share

That HDD will be a terrible bottle neck.  I would downgrade the keyboard, mouse, and chair first (the chair looks like a real rip off).

Get an SSD.  There's no reason not to.

RAM is silly, 3200 will you you great, and go with 32 if you have things running in the background when playing games.  16gb is enough if you are only gaming.

I agree with who said look at pre-builts, but be careful of bad MB's and PSU's.  Companies always upsell their processors and video cards, and generally sell you hot garbage on every other component (taking advantage of the average customer's lack of build knowledge).

CPU: Ryzen 5900X | GPU: ASRock 6900XT | Drive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 1TB (x2) | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 64GB DDR4 3600 14-15-15-35 | MB: MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Case: Fractal Design Define 7

Yes, I share it with friends, and bought this at MSRP.  I was a listmaster for several days in NY.

20 minutes ago, Icefire555 said:

it leaves a big ol 2k for capture cards and anything else

1 hour ago, Suicuniculate said:

Honestly everything. Seriously.

Lets start with furnitures. I got a bias for Ingvar Kamprad stuff so IKEA is my way to go. Something like Bekant would be my desk of choice, but similar design or even an entirely different desk at around 250-300$ range should do you good. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/bekant-corner-desk-left-black-stained-ash-veneer-black-s19282801/. For chairs, its autonomous ergochair 2 all the way for me, i would rather overspend on chairs thats actually gonna avoid you from needing a chiropractor. Thats 430 right now, but you can find it cheaper used. Just gonna need a new baseboard.

Now for the tech, shall we?

First off the bat: you wont need a capture card unless you also stream consoles. Nvidia NVENC encoders are super amazing for streaming, and it basically negates the need for a capture card and 2nd PC to be used. And even if you do need to stream consoles, HD60S is FARRRRRRRRRRR cheaper than the 4k60 box. So thats 500$ saved (or around 300-400$ if you go for the HD60S)

For the quest accessories, im not exactly an expert but third party accessories are about as good as Oculus' offerings and theyre usually far less scalped than the OEM, especially cables as you can fashion out a good cable by using active USB extender and a type c cable to connect it to your PC. Im not gonna cut it off at all but consider that for a saving.

Also, a lot of monitors comes with a cable out of the box. Use that.

I got a blackout and this is 1h old. your build is lovely, but i would go and swap for a 3080 or even 3080Ti when theyre back on store shelves, theyre going to spank that 3060 to hell and back. Also, Malwarebytes free are good enough, you can use that saving to get yourself a bigger PSU (850-1000W)

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Here's a prebuilt using off the shelf components. MSI b500 mobo (Not a cheap-o offbrand), 16gb of ram. SSD boot drive, RTX 3080, Ryzen 5900x. for only $2500

Giving you,

850 bucks off your price. (600 dollars of your price is paying for a scalped 3060)

+120% GPU performance (That's over 2x)

+40% CPU Performance

You loose ram. But it's cheaper to buy your own and add it. Or buy the boost model and get 32gb. And a larger boot drive. 

https://maingear.com/product/vybe-stage-4-amd/

This is my final advice. I would not advise anyone I know to build their own system in this market unless they already have a GPU and CPU in hand or are willing to throw money away supporting scalpers. I've been a system builder all my life. And I've spent 3 years working in an amazon datacenter working on their servers. I've worked on Servers worth more than your house. I've been around the block when it comes to computer hardware.