D6 Error on Strix x299-e gaming ii

Hi,

I've been having an issue with my new PC Build.  I built it a couple of days ago with the help of my brother who built himself a near identical version.

Asus ROG Strix x299-e Gaming ii

Intel i9 10920X

2x 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

Aresgame AGT1000 1000w Gold PSU

Samsung SSD 980 NVMe M.2 1TB

Asus 1060 (I think the 6gb one? idk it was an out of the box hand me down)

Upon turning the PC on we got a D6 error on the LED with the phrase "HDD Detect" with it.  The Monitor (plugged into the display port) boots itself up, but displays no image and turns itself off.  Asus claims D6 to be a graphics card issue.  A graphics card that was just working in my old PC.  The power light on the graphics card is lit and white (like it should).  I have now tried about a billion troubleshooting steps:

Checked PCIE connections, Tried other PCIE slots on the PSU, Flashed BIOS, Tried in the lower GPU port, Plugged back into old PC and GPU works fine, CMOS, ReFlashed BIOS, Reseeded RAM, Reseeded NVMe into all available ports, Tried a regular 1TB Samsung EVO SSD as well, Tried the different display port plug on the GPU.  The only thing I did not try was a different GPU in the new PC as I do not have one lying around.

I'm about at my wit's end and my brother seems to think I bought a lemon.  I've emailed Asus and their response was to email me the troubleshooting guide from their site (which I already told them I tried). I'd rather not take my whole PC back apart to send it back to the seller or *shudders* ASUS as I have a very small apartment and I'm afraid of keeping these items safe (especially my CPU) now that they're out of their box. For now my GPU is back in my old PC and my new (bank breakingly expensive) PC sits on my desk, GPU-less, as a monolith to my failure.

You guys have any suggestions before I start Project: Disassemble?  I could really use a Deus Ex Machina right about now. 

Update: Bought a second Asus ROG Strix x299-e Gaming ii to install and packed the old one to send back.  Same “D6: HDD Detect” error on the LED.

Monitor turns on without an image and turns right back off.

Can’t think of what else it might be.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:18 PM, TheSizlack said:

Update: Bought a second Asus ROG Strix x299-e Gaming ii to install and packed the old one to send back.  Same “D6: HDD Detect” error on the LED.

Monitor turns on without an image and turns right back off.

Can’t think of what else it might be.

Does that card and monitor have an HDMI connection (or do you have a monitor with HDMI)?  See if the output behaves differently off of DisplayPort.  At least on my Ryzen platform, all POST and BIOS activity will only show on HDMI output.

D6 shows as No Console Output Devices Found in the manual for your board on page A-4 in the appendix.  Guessing they're referring to things that it can output its startup info to?  D6 according to reports of other people will happen when no GPU is present as well...so maybe this board really doesn't like your GPU.

Example thread for people with various boards with D6:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/no-console-output-devices-are-found.564545/

A second crazy expensive mobo and cpu later and you guys were right!  It was the display port wire.  HDMI and the D6: HDD Detect was gone!

You guys saved me from madness.  I was about to just give up and see how much $ I could recoup but then I checked this post one more time for replies.

Now I just have to return the extra mobo and cpu and I’m all set!  A new display port cable (that hopefully works) is on its way!

Thank you so much!