Compatible cable question for a Seasonic Platinum-1000 PSU

Quartz11

Which cable would you recommend for the following situation--native or an adapter:

Power supply: Seasonic Platinum-1000  SS-1000XP

Motherboard:  ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition x79  with both an 8-pin and a 4-pin CPU sockets.  At the moment only the 8-pin socket is connected, but an Asus rep on OCN recommended that both are used for more even power delivery for longevity.

CPU is an Intel Xeon E5 1680 v2 with an overclock to 4.3GHz

Here's the motherboard manual for motherboard power cable inputs:

1288965244_RIVBEpowerconnectors.thumb.PNG.be850dee81ee538267404c256fea1c51.PNG

And this is the power supply's modular cable connector side:

61S84XIe3XL._AC_.jpg.84b093f25cfcae8c567a1b21279e6f82.jpg

At the moment the two 18-pin + 10-pin M/B sockets are used for the 24-pin socket on the motherboard. 

The bottom left socket named "CPU" is used for the 8-pin CPU socket on the motherboard. 

After that, I'm not sure what to do about the extra 4-pin CPU socket on the motherboard.  There's no additional 8-pin CPU socket on the power supply, only a 12-pin PCI-E/CPU one (top right).  I misplaced the extra cables in a move, but looking at the list of included cables, it doesn't seem like there's a suitable stock cable in any event.  The stock cable list includes 1x 8-pin CPU cable and 1x 4+4 pin CPU cable, which looks like an either-or situation for use with that bottom left CPU socket--not both.  I thought perhaps the 4+4 EPS cable can be plugged into the "PCI-E/CPU" socket on the power supply (top right on the photograph), shifted all the way to the right, but wouldn't the connector toggle lock not be in the right place for that positioning?  The hole for the toggle lock is then off-center to the left.  Maybe the 4+4 EPS connector comes with an off-center toggle lock...  I don't have it to check, and can't find any PSU reviews that would show that in detail.

I'm going to write to Seasonic to ask about a suitable cable, but does anyone here have a recommendation first?

So what's the issue ? Toggle lock is offset ? That's not an issue.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

17 minutes ago, Juular said:

So what's the issue ? Toggle lock is offset ? That's not an issue.

I'm not saying it's necessarily an issue--I don't have that cable to test.  I'm wondering if it's an issue, if that's the cable I should try sourcing: 8-pin EPS at the base where it connects to the PSU into the 12-pin "PCI-E/CPU" socket to 4+4 pin EPS for the motherboard's CPU socket.  If I can't get that cable from Seasonic, is there another PSU based on this platform with compatible cables, like some Corsair version?

56 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

If I can't get that cable from Seasonic, is there another PSU based on this platform with compatible cables, like some Corsair version?

Cablemods maybe.

So the problem is that both EPS cables are using the same single outlet ? Yeah, that's weird, ask Seasonic i guess, maybe they can send you one that fits in that PCIe/CPU socket.

I've written to Seasonic, they did point me to a store that sells individual cables for their CPUs, from the newest to older, but I'm afraid it's out of stock of the 4+4 pin CPU cable for my particular model.  Checking with Seasonic what my options are.

It looks like I can't get the original cable from Seasonic at this point.  

I wondered if the 8 pin -> 4+4 pin CPU cable would be relatively standard, but looking at later Focus Plus and Prime models, the socket shape is different from that of the SS-1000PX model.  Was there a known power supply based on the SS-1000PX series, using the same wire aarrangement and socket shape for 8 pin -> 4+4 pin CPU cable?

P.S.: sad, checked my Corsair AX750 12-pin -> 4+4 pin CPU cable -- wrong socket shape, before even testing the pinout.  

edit: 12-pin...  I kept using “10-pin” incorrectly.

17 hours ago, Quartz11 said:

It looks like I can't get the original cable from Seasonic at this point.  

I wondered if the 8 pin -> 4+4 pin CPU cable would be relatively standard, but looking at later Focus Plus and Prime models, the socket shape is different from that of the SS-1000PX model.  Was there a known power supply based on the SS-1000PX series, using the same wire aarrangement and socket shape for 8 pin -> 4+4 pin CPU cable?

P.S.: sad, checked my Corsair AX750 10-pin -> 4+4 pin CPU cable -- wrong socket shape, before even testing the pinout.  

Be real careful about swapping cables from different PSU manufactures. I just accidentally swapped molex cables from a Corsair PSU to an EVGA. Turns out that they are pinned differently and I fried 3 HDD's, (2 x's 1TB and a 2TB). I'll be making a post soon on how to build a laminar flow box and swap out the internal components, so...... 

Thanks, no I'm definitely not cross-using cables, unless it's certain that the pinout is identical to what it should be.  So far I haven't found anything suitable =(

Quick question: would a particular Corsair Type 3 8-pin -> 4+4-pin CPU cable be a good match for my power supply?  I actually have a full set of gray Type 3 sleeved cables on hand in storage, and looking at the 4+4-pin CPU cable's CPU-end plug shape, it fits the socket shape exactly as follows:

475938803_CPUsocketcircled.png.22f37b31e1a9449e8607890de26aa242.png

(Also by the same token it fits perfectly into the socket labeled "CPU".)

Does anyone happen to have access to the Seasonic SS-1000XP pinout diagrams?  I can't find any for that older model.  I'm very sorry to bother you about this,@jonnyGURU, perhaps you might have an idea this specific instance of cross-compatibility?

P.S.: I think the individually-sleeved Corsair Type 3 cables are 18 gauge, is that right?  Not sure if it matters that the other cable that's currently used, the stock 8-pin Seasonic CPU cable, is using 16-gauge wires.

It looks like they actually are compatible. SoloSleeving.com lists these pinout diagrams for Corsair Type3 and Seasonic Focus / Prime. Corsair pinout matches with one posted by Jon himself. You can see that pinouts for EPS/CPU and PCIe cables are the same on the PSU side between them. And CableMods says that their SE/RT series cable sets are compatible both with old Seasonic X/P/XP series and new Focus / Prime.

Now, Jon, working with Seasonic probably knows better and in your other thread (at THW i think?) he said that these are not compatible so i'm not sure ... Can you confirm again @jonnyGURU ?

PS: Another source, PC-Mods; Corsair Type 3, Seasonic.

1 hour ago, Quartz11 said:

Does anyone happen to have access to the Seasonic SS-1000XP pinout diagrams?  I can't find any for that older model.  I'm very sorry to bother you about this,@jonnyGURU, perhaps you might have an idea this specific instance of cross-compatibility?

You're talking about plugging the 8-pin into the 10-pin?  No idea what the pinout is on the 10-pin.

26 minutes ago, Juular said:

It looks like they actually are compatible. SoloSleeving.com lists these pinout diagrams for Corsair Type3 and Seasonic Focus / Prime. Corsair pinout matches with one posted by Jon himself. You can see that pinouts for EPS/CPU and PCIe cables are the same on the PSU side between them. And CableMods says that their SE/RT series cable sets are compatible both with old Seasonic X/P/XP series and new Focus / Prime.

Now, Jon, working with Seasonic probably knows better and in your other thread (at THW i think?) he said that these are not compatible so i'm not sure ... Can you confirm again @jonnyGURU ?

PS: Another source, PC-Mods; Corsair Type 3, Seasonic.

I was certain the +12V and ground were reversed between Seasonic and Corsair.  As the Corsair AX Gold 8-pin IS reversed from Type 3/4.  But beyond that, Seasonic and Corsair use different connectors on the PSU (the shapes of the terminal insulators).  Corsair uses an EPS12V 8-pin while Seasonic uses a PCIe 8-pin.

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're talking about plugging the 8-pin into the 10-pin?  No idea what the pinout is on the 10-pin.

I was certain the +12V and ground were reversed between Seasonic and Corsair.  As the Corsair AX Gold 8-pin IS reversed from Type 3/4.  But beyond that, Seasonic and Corsair use different connectors on the PSU (the shapes of the terminal insulators).  Corsair uses an EPS12V 8-pin while Seasonic uses a PCIe 8-pin.

Yes, the 8-pin would go into the 12-pin socket as I indicated in a green outline above.  The shape of the green outline 8-pin socket potion is identical to that of the other 8-pin socket labeled CPU and to the Type 3 Corsair 4+4 pin cable I have.  Based on the documentation I could find, the SS-1000XP does not come with a 12-pin-> 8-pin CPU cable, but rather an 8-pin - 8-pin and an 8-pin - 4+4-pin.  That tells me the two stock Seasonic cables can be plugged into either socket.  So if the Corsair Type 3 8-pin has the same arrangement as the Sasonic’s 8-pin, it should be compatible.  That’s my reasoning so far.

edit: 12-pin...  I kept using “10-pin” incorrectly.

13 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

Yes, the 8-pin would go into the 10-pin socket as I indicated in a green outline above.  The shape of the green outline 8-pin socket potion is identical to that of the other 8-pin socket labeled CPU and to the Type 3 Corsair 4+4 pin cable I have.  Based on the documentation I could find, the SS-1000XP does not come with a 10-pin-> 8-pin CPU cable, but rather an 8-pin - 8-pin and an 8-pin - 4+4-pin.  That tells me the two stock Seasonic cables can be plugged into either socket.  So if the Corsair Type 3 8-pin has the same arrangement as the Sasonic’s 8-pin, it should be compatible.  That’s my reasoning so far.

I just don't know enough about the Seasonic 10-pin to give you an educated answer.  I would say this:  Plug in just your 24-pin, with the power on jumped to ground, and the 8-pin into the 10-pin socket.  Grab a DMM and make sure the +12V and ground are in the right places and not reversed.   It's really the only PROPER way to test.

12 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I just don't know enough about the Seasonic 10-pin to give you an educated answer.  I would say this:  Plug in just your 24-pin, with the power on jumped to ground, and the 8-pin into the 10-pin socket.  Grab a DMM and make sure the +12V and ground are in the right places and not reversed.   It's really the only PROPER way to test.

Is it okay to do this test with everything remaining plugged in as is but testing the extra 8-pin cable added to the 12-pin socket with a DMM with the system running on the BIOS screen?

1 minute ago, Quartz11 said:

Is it okay to do this test with everything remaining plugged in as is but testing the extra 8-pin cable added to the 10-pin socket with a DMM with the system running on the BIOS screen?

I suppose if the cable isn't actually plugged into anything else other than your DMM, you're not creating any kind of circuit that will short, so.. sure.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I suppose if the cable isn't actually plugged into anything else other than your DMM, you're not creating any kind of circuit that will short, so.. sure.

Ok I've just done the testing, and looks like unfortunately the ground and +12V wires are switched compared to what I need, unless I'm not interpreting the results correctly.  Looking at the motherboard, it wants the two pins to be +12V and the bottom two be Ground, on the EATX12V_1 diagram.  Measuring the voltages with the Corsair Type 3 4+4 pin cable plugged in, I'm getting this:

102865732_corsaircablepinout.png.0d58ba1ab6039de5149af5b612071032.png

Advice: pay someone to make a 4+4 CPU cable, using a 12pin connect = x4 12v top row / x4 ground bottom

Advice: buy an empty 12pin & empty 4pin or 4+4 + pre-made 24"/600mm wires with female-to-female PSU ATX pins attached & make your own cable (using pinout below)

***Contact MainFrameCustom.com, ask if they'll make u a cable or sell u the parts to make it (ie x4-x8 pre-made female-to-female wire sleeved or un-sleeved + empty 12pin & 4pin / 4+4)

The color pinout was made from my X1250 XM1 & is identical for my 1000w Platinum (same as OP)

Note: for the 6pin SATA, there are in fact two live 12v pins (one is unused, both are shown)

Note: the lower 10/18 ATX, 'star icons' are sense wires, & the numbered color chart is relative to the 24pin

Note: all of the 12volt & most of the grounds for CPU/PCI-E wires are 16awg (dual-grounds are 18awg)

x1250 2.JPG

x1250 (1).jpg

Original CPU #2 cable shown below, housed in a 12pin with solid 8pin EPS connect (x8 16awg)

12p-8p.jpg

EDIT: If what u did was insert a solid 8pin EPS/CPU connector into the 12pin, for a volt/ground reading w/a DMM, I  have an empty 12pin (male) & yes the solid 8pin will insert (key) into it but it will not latch together. If an inability to 'latch' an 8pin to a 12pin doesn't bother you, you might buy an EVGA CPU 4+4 cable (see eBay), since their G2 P2 T2 G3 pinout for CPU port is the standard 12volts top row / grounds bottom row ... if you know how to back the PSU terminals out & put them back in, you could then buy an empty 12pin (MainFrameCustoms etc) & transfer it onto the EVGA 4+4

PTDC0010.JPG

Edited by A Beautiful Lie