3d printing - skipping extruder when manually extruding.

2DPrinter

Hey all, 
I am new to 3d printing. I was manually extruding today, and it seems like my extruder is slipping. I attached a video so you could understand the problem better. Maybe I am extruding too fast?? 

I am doing a print right now with a test cube at 35mm/s and it doesn't seem to be skipping. 
I also attached a picture of the bottom of a benchy I have printed. It is supposed to have text on the bottom, but you can barely see it. It could be under extrusion, or maybe I had my bed temp too high (65C with PLA)?? Maybe it melted the first layer so you can't see it?? 
Any help would be appreciated!! 

Printer: Monoprice Mini Pro

Filament: Hatchbox PLA @ 205-210C for nozzle and 55-65C for bed

20210508_100642.jpg

what do you mean by "manually extruding"?

as for text on the underside of a print.. you're only gonna get that right if you have your bed leveling, extrusion, and offsets absolutely perfect.

The skipping of the motor most likely comes from printing to fast. Your hot end can't keep up with melting the filament. Try limiting your printer to a speed in the printers settings and printing cubes. Do this until your motor stops skipping and print a couple test models like cali cat and calibration cubes.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

what do you mean by "manually extruding"?

as for text on the underside of a print.. you're only gonna get that right if you have your bed leveling, extrusion, and offsets absolutely perfect.

By manually extruding I mean pressing a button on my printer to make the filament start coming out of the hot end. 

Just now, 2DPrinter said:

By manually extruding I mean pressing a button on my printer to make the filament start coming out of the hot end. 

they probably just let the feed motor spin at "whatever" speed, forcing way too much fillament trough the hotend for it to actually melt it fast enough.

if it doesnt happen during printing, i wouldnt bother.

i'd suggest looking into some feeder unit upgrades, but for the pricepoint of that printer just about any upgrade makes no sense.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

they probably just let the feed motor spin at "whatever" speed, forcing way too much fillament trough the hotend for it to actually melt it fast enough.

if it doesnt happen during printing, i wouldnt bother.

i'd suggest looking into some feeder unit upgrades, but for the pricepoint of that printer just about any upgrade makes no sense.

Okay thanks. Today it only skipped a little on a smaller print, but on a bigger print it created under extrusion so I cancelled the print. 

I will have to figure out a way to fix it, and hopefully not upgrade any parts. 

Just now, 2DPrinter said:

Okay thanks. Today it only skipped a little on a smaller print, but on a bigger print it created under extrusion so I cancelled the print. 

I will have to figure out a way to fix it, and hopefully not upgrade any parts. 

few things you can check:

- is it keeping temperature?

- is your fillament a constant thickness?

- is there any gunk in the drive gear?

- is there any friction in the path of the fillament? (i see it's a bowden tube style extruder, how much force do you need to push fillament trough the tube manually?)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

few things you can check:

- is it keeping temperature?

- is your fillament a constant thickness?

- is there any gunk in the drive gear?

- is there any friction in the path of the fillament? (i see it's a bowden tube style extruder, how much force do you need to push fillament trough the tube manually?)

Thanks!

I have experienced a disproportionately high amount of problems with low quality black filament - I suspect that regrinds/recycled material are often mixed into it because it's black. This causes the melt temperature to be higher than filament made of virgin material. 

I would suggest raising your temps 10 degrees and trying again.

On 5/10/2021 at 1:12 PM, ColinLTT said:

I have experienced a disproportionately high amount of problems with low quality black filament - I suspect that regrinds/recycled material are often mixed into it because it's black. This causes the melt temperature to be higher than filament made of virgin material. 

I would suggest raising your temps 10 degrees and trying again.

I did not know that! I might try that.

the first thing you could try to upgrade is the extruder.

often it is extrusion issues like skipping, that are caused by the extruder itself.

With my Anet A9 i had the same issues like skipping of the extruder, and upgrading to a dual-drive extruder fixed the issue.

Another upgrade i urge you to get right away: 

a glass bed.

this improves the quality exponentially, and decreases the damage/wear on your printing bed

A few other upgrades can be:

1 upgrade the nozzle to a RVS one,

2 upgrade the spool holder

3 upgrade the parts cooler/heatsink cooler

4 add a diy enclosure around the printer

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 5/13/2021 at 10:30 AM, darknessblade said:

the first thing you could try to upgrade is the extruder.

often it is extrusion issues like skipping, that are caused by the extruder itself.

With my Anet A9 i had the same issues like skipping of the extruder, and upgrading to a dual-drive extruder fixed the issue.

Another upgrade i urge you to get right away: 

a glass bed.

this improves the quality exponentially, and decreases the damage/wear on your printing bed

A few other upgrades can be:

1 upgrade the nozzle to a RVS one,

2 upgrade the spool holder

3 upgrade the parts cooler/heatsink cooler

4 add a diy enclosure around the printer

Okay thanks! Yes, I might get a glass bed because for some reason, my nozzle just rammed into my bed at the start of a print and burned a hole through it. 

Maybe i didn't calibrate something? I auto leveled it before the print... 

Also I think the monoprice mini pro has a dual drive extruder, but not sure. 

The monoprice mini pro does not have a dual-drive extruder.

can you share a pic of your bed? that way we know the damage. since too much of a hole can damage the bed, and potentially start a fire.

it could also be that it is mostly damage to the Nozzle, which is a easy replacement if you replace the nozzle get those cheap RVS nozzles, they are better than the Messing ones.

the Monoprice uses a Z-endstop, so it is not calibration issues, it might be that the endstop got loose. causing the sensor not to be triggered or at a lower height..

The following video shows a "partial" teardown

║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║

@darknessbladeOkay thanks!! I don't know much about how to fix this, so your info is helpful.  
Here is a picture of the bed. It is a small hole, and I circled in red where it its. 

1606727856_holeinprintbed.jpg

It does not look too damaged.

Though it is better to keep a eye out on it, for the next couple prints, when you start using a Glass bed