EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid - replacing water cooler with air cooler.

CableGod

The title already gives most info but I'm basically trying to replace the water cooler because it is way too loud and underperforming, the pump has always been louder than anything else in the case and I'm trying to figure out if I can replace it instead of buying a whole new GPU. I've searched online but I don't think people want to sell their stock GPU cooler...

Any ideas on what I should do?

46 minutes ago, CableGod said:

The title already gives most info but I'm basically trying to replace the water cooler because it is way too loud and underperforming, the pump has always been louder than anything else in the case and I'm trying to figure out if I can replace it instead of buying a whole new GPU. I've searched online but I don't think people want to sell their stock GPU cooler...

Any ideas on what I should do?

do you have a audio clip of the noise? it's mostlikely been air stuck in the pump from the start and this might be an easy fix.

do you have the radiator placed above or below the pump?

if the radiator is below the pump all the air will get stuck in the pump and it will get noisy.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

34 minutes ago, wildthing said:

do you have a audio clip of the noise? it's mostlikely been air stuck in the pump from the start and this might be an easy fix.

do you have the radiator placed above or below the pump?

if the radiator is below the pump all the air will get stuck in the pump and it will get noisy.

I've tried placing the radiatior above and below, it still makes the same noise. To be honest I don't even want the watercooler anymore at all, just trying to find a way on how to convert it to an aircooled card.

it uses the same pcb as the reg ftw, so you could the stock ftw heatsink if you want a more authentic look or you couple an arctic accelero or rajintek morpheus.

both the accelero and  morpheus use double sided thermal tape for mounting heatsinks on to the vram and mosfets. some people have had issues with the tape not holding. so you could simply skip putting them on or use a thermal epoxy, but it a glue and once they are on it's super hard to get them off.

the morpheus is more expensive and you'll need to buy your 120mm fans and fan adapter to connect to the GPU. 

11 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

it uses the same pcb as the reg ftw, so you could the stock ftw heatsink if you want a more authentic look or you couple an arctic accelero or rajintek morpheus.

both the accelero and  morpheus use double sided thermal tape for mounting heatsinks on to the vram and mosfets. some people have had issues with the tape not holding. so you could simply skip putting them on or use a thermal epoxy, but it a glue and once they are on it's super hard to get them off.

the morpheus is more expensive and you'll need to buy your 120mm fans and fan adapter to connect to the GPU. 

The stock heatsink would work yes, where i can buy the heatsink except for the gpu?

22 minutes ago, CableGod said:

The stock heatsink would work yes, where i can buy the heatsink except for the gpu?

they will come with accelero or morpheus you dont have to buy them separately. and if you find a stock ftw cooler. the cooler itself will make contact with the vrm and mosfets, but you'll probably need new thermal pads

9 hours ago, CableGod said:

I've tried placing the radiatior above and below, it still makes the same noise. To be honest I don't even want the watercooler anymore at all, just trying to find a way on how to convert it to an aircooled card.

Is the tubing on the rad end at the bottom when mounting the rad above?

What rpm are you running the pump at? Have you tried lower speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is the tubing on the rad end at the bottom when mounting the rad above?

What rpm are you running the pump at? Have you tried lower speeds?

It used to be on the top but now it's on the bottom because i moved the position of the radiator. I cannot change the pump rpm and i've never tried.

1 minute ago, CableGod said:

It used to be on the top but now it's on the bottom because i moved the position of the radiator. I cannot change the pump rpm and i've never tried.

Why are you unable to change the pump rpm? Is the pump not plugged into your motherboard or your motherboard doesn't have any fan control options?

If possible, the rad should be mounted so that the tubing and pump block is aren't the highest point of the loop. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why are you unable to change the pump rpm? Is the pump not plugged into your motherboard or your motherboard doesn't have any fan control options?

If possible, the rad should be mounted so that the tubing and pump block is aren't the highest point of the loop. 

It just never gave me the option to change the pump rpm, ive also never seen any pump rpm values. the pump cant be plugged in, the only cable that the gpu provides is an extra fan header for the rad fan. ive got a MSI x570-a pro which does have fan control options.

18 minutes ago, CableGod said:

It just never gave me the option to change the pump rpm, ive also never seen any pump rpm values. the pump cant be plugged in, the only cable that the gpu provides is an extra fan header for the rad fan. ive got a MSI x570-a pro which does have fan control options.

Have you tried using EVGA Precision XOC?

The MSI X570-A Pro certainly has fan control options but not for fans not plugged into the motherboard fan headers. 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried using EVGA Precision XOC?

The MSI X570-A Pro certainly has fan control options but not for fans not plugged into the motherboard fan headers. 

I've tried using XOC yes, it only shows the option of changing the fan speed thats directly on the card. All the fans in my case are plugged into my motherboard, i've never seen a pump connector on my card that should go into my motherboard.

1 minute ago, CableGod said:

I've tried using XOC yes, it only shows the option of changing the fan speed thats directly on the card. All the fans in my case are plugged into my motherboard, i've never seen a pump connector on my card that should go into my motherboard.

The pump connector plugs into the graphics card fan header and powers both the pump and the fan header for the rad fan. Have you tried lowering the rpm in XOC to see if that makes any difference for the pump noise?

20 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The pump connector plugs into the graphics card fan header and powers both the pump and the fan header for the rad fan. Have you tried lowering the rpm in XOC to see if that makes any difference for the pump noise?

The rpm has always been at the lowest it can be (56%).

12 minutes ago, CableGod said:

The rpm has always been at the lowest it can be (56%).

In that case, the mentioned Accelero IV or Morpheus coolers are good options. 

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm kind of worried I will do it wrong and the card overheats, how would I properly cool the MOSFETs etc? I know someone already mentioned double sided thermal tape but that still sounds like a "jerryrig" solution.

Alright, i wanna buy the "MORPHEUS II CORE EDITION" but i can't find it in stock anywhere.. Any links to websites that do have it in stock?

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

20 hours ago, narrdarr said:

they will come with accelero or morpheus you dont have to buy them separately. and if you find a stock ftw cooler. the cooler itself will make contact with the vrm and mosfets, but you'll probably need new thermal pads

Edited by CableGod
forgot to quote so you would get a notification.

3 hours ago, CableGod said:

Alright, i wanna buy the "MORPHEUS II CORE EDITION" but i can't find it in stock anywhere.. Any links to websites that do have it in stock?

I went looking all I can find is 8057. kinda a bummer I really that cooler. 

there are 3 options of the accelero tho. 

duo

3 and 4

the 3 and 4 are the same just the 3 has no backplate 

18 hours ago, CableGod said:

I'm kind of worried I will do it wrong and the card overheats, how would I properly cool the MOSFETs etc? I know someone already mentioned double sided thermal tape but that still sounds like a "jerryrig" solution.

Thermal tape is a fairly standard way to do it. The heatsinks may end up falling off over time with thermal pads.

Where are you shopping / located?

I have the same Problem with pump noise on that card. I just connected the pump to the MB. turned the speed to 80%.

its not air in the pump that makes the sound

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Thermal tape is a fairly standard way to do it. The heatsinks may end up falling off over time with thermal pads.

Where are you shopping / located?

I'm located in the Netherlands.

10 hours ago, CableGod said:

I'm located in the Netherlands.

The Morpheus II seems available: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/385546/raijintek-morpheus-ii.html

On 5/10/2021 at 9:15 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Ah damn, it's not available anymore so i think i'm going with the Accelero Xtreme III. I do wish to replace the fans though since the enclosure doesn't really suit my build, do you know if it is possible to replace the fans with noctua fans? or any other fans that are a certain size?

1 hour ago, CableGod said:

Ah damn, it's not available anymore so i think i'm going with the Accelero Xtreme III. I do wish to replace the fans though since the enclosure doesn't really suit my build, do you know if it is possible to replace the fans with noctua fans? or any other fans that are a certain size?

you can take the fans and shroud off the heatsink and zip tie your own fans to the heatsink. with a bit of skill you can still make it look really good and you can go even farther by making a shroud too cover up the anything that looks messy 

92mm or 120mm fans are what most people use.