Sata power help

caseyh1911

I have a Cooler Master MWE 600 Bronze-v2, 

power supply, and it has a total of 6 sata power cables, but I need 2 more, right now, 4 down the line sata power cables, what is the safest way to do this, heard to stay away from molex

Thanks

molex (old style hdd) plug/connector is actually safer than sata. 

You can safely use  molex -> 2 x sata  or molex  -> sata adapter cables. 

What they mean is that MOLDED SATA connectors are bad, and can often fail.

You want CRIMPED sata connectors, which means connectors where the pins can be pulled out and the wires are crimped to those pins. 

Example of CRIMPED SATA connectors and adapter cable : 

https://www.amazon.com/Server-Adapter-Converter-Extension-Splitter/dp/B079DL173Y/

Another example: https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Gelrhonr-Conversion-Extension-Y-Cable/dp/B08R2K8MHP/

Other SAFE (compared to molded connectors) products  :  1xsata => 4 x sata :  https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Power-Splitter-Adapter-PYO4SATA/dp/B0086OGN9E/

Not molded connectors but also not crimped, the wires are press-fit into the contacts, like you do with ethernet cable connectors. The sata plugs are safer than molded sata connectors, on par with crimped sata connectors.

Would they power my iron wolf 4tb drives?

They're plain cables... they have no concept or anything about what's connected to them.  

It's sata connector, it will power whatever device has a sata connector.  So yeah, they'll power your iron wolf (or any other hard drive). 

I was just concerned that it would overload it

Just now, caseyh1911 said:

Cable Matters (2 Pack) 15 Pin SATA to 4 SATA Power Splitter Cable - 45cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QHYGK2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2AKSXH71Q0MET9V8NDEK

Would these be ok

Construction wise, they seem OK, but connecting 4 drives to an extension would not be a good idea, the individual sata connectors can not carry a lot of power safely so the connector at the end that plugs into the power supply connector could go bad fast.

I'd recommend buying adapter cables with the molex (old hdd connector) at the end that goes to the psu, because it's better than sata (more reliable mating, connection, can carry more current)

A single molex connector is good for up to 5A on each of the two voltage outputs, 5v and 12v

So you have 5v x 5A = 25 watts on 5v ,  12v x 5A = 60 watts

A single SATA connector is good for 3.5A on each of the three voltage outputs, 3.3v , 5v and 12v  (but regular hard drives don't use 3.3v at all)

If the connector is not crimped, I would not go above 3A of current.

A single hard drive consumes around 8-10 watts.   Less than 4-5w  (or around 1A of current on 5v) is used by the circuit board on the hard drive, and the rest is used by the motors that spins the disc. 

So with a molex - > n x sata adapter, even if you use 4 sata hard drives, you're unlikely to exceed the limits of the connectors.  

With sata -> n x sata  adapter , it would be best to stick to 2-3 sata drives per extension cable , and DO NOT go over around 6 drives on a single chain of connectors going to power supply. 

Basically, you could buy 2 or more  molex -> 3-4 x sata adapters , but connect only 2 SATA hard drives to one such adapter, leave the other 1-2 sata connectors empty.