Are 3 pin fan headers meant to look like this or are they meant to be 3 pins next to each other with a pin missing at the end?

Synq-_-

I brought this fan splitter because my motherboard had one system fan header and my fans are for 3 pin (all next to each other) but with that gap only two pins go in? Unless it’s meant to be this way I will return it. Can someone answer if it’s meant to be like this?

5DB3EA4B-009C-4D93-8FC5-E333F8CB2868.jpeg

38 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

That is normal.

The missing wire is the tachometer/RPM sensor line, and a fan header can only read one fan speed.

Yes but my fans are all 3 pin so if I attempt to put the fan header in, only 2 pins will go in and the last will not be used.

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

That is normal.

The missing wire is the tachometer/RPM sensor line, and a fan header can only read one fan speed.

Okay, A is my fan and B is the fan header. If I put A into B, only 2 holes will be occupied and 1 pin completely ignored. This will make my fans spin?

26E348C9-5060-4F17-9863-F812A6CA4DFD.jpeg

The fans will spin fine. The red and black wires are + and - for power, and the yellow wire is to detect speed.
However, motherboard headers can only read one fan's speed, not two, so on fan splitters only one of the fan connectors has the tachometer (yellow) wire connected.

elephants

8 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

The fans will spin fine. The red and black wires are + and - for power, and the yellow wire is to detect speed.
However, motherboard headers can only read one fan's speed, not two, so on fan splitters only one of the fan connectors has the tachometer (yellow) wire connected.

So a 3 pin fan only needs 2 pins to run from what I understand. These fans are also RGB but they have a separate splitter which goes into RGB header. The 3 fans should work with 2 pins then?

Just now, Synq-_- said:

So a 3 pin fan only needs 2 pins to run from what I understand. These fans are also RGB but they have a separate splitter which goes into RGB header. The 3 fans should work with 2 pins then?

Yes. The fans will spin with 2 pins.

elephants

7 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Yes. The fans will spin with 2 pins.

One last question, I am putting my build together tomorrow and my case comes with 3 RGB fans at 0.38A (I think) and a exhaust fan (not sure the amperage). I have B450M DS3H V2 which has 1 SYS_FAN header and I do not know what amperage the header supports. It’s not in the manual and I’m planning on connecting all fans to it. Some answers I see it is 2A as it is a hybrid header (I’m not sure) but some say it’s 1A. Could you help.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:35 AM, Synq-_- said:

One last question, I am putting my build together tomorrow and my case comes with 3 RGB fans at 0.38A (I think) and a exhaust fan (not sure the amperage). I have B450M DS3H V2 which has 1 SYS_FAN header and I do not know what amperage the header supports. It’s not in the manual and I’m planning on connecting all fans to it. Some answers I see it is 2A as it is a hybrid header (I’m not sure) but some say it’s 1A. Could you help.

What fans? Like is the 0.38A for fans or for RGB? Fan headers on mobo are 1A unless otherwise stated in manual. So powering 3x0.38 means that one of them won't spin. RGB headers are 3A.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv