How to get jet black matte finish over a PS4 Pro

Mahmudul Hasan

Hi.

I wish to spray paint over my PS4 Pro Jet Black edition. The colour I wish to spray paint is similar to the colour the PS4 within.

The problem is though I manage to get the Jet Black spray paint, how could I get a matte finish like the original matte finish on the PS4 with Jet Black spray paint?

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

images (12).jpeg

Possibly a stupid question, but if it's already the colour and texture you want, what do you want to spray it for?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

If you want a matte black finish, you use matte black spray paint (a matte clear coat will also help)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

If your paint isn't a matte paint?  You're gonna have a bad time.

Matte paint is the way to go.

If not an option, you can /try/ matte clear coat?  But that's not a guarantee.

The black on the PS4 is from the plastic, so the finish will almost be impossible to reproduce. Just saying.

Matte paint will stick after you sand it, but then all the texture of the plastic is gone, and thats what gives it the look it has.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

8 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Possibly a stupid question, but if it's already the colour and texture you want, what do you want to spray it for?

Actually I spilled some acetone thinner over the PS4 faceplate which damaged the colour permanently. So I wish to fix it like it was before the damage done if possible.

IMG_20210503_095421.jpg

8 minutes ago, Damascus said:

If you want a matte black finish, you use matte black spray paint (a matte clear coat will also help)

But I am kinda confused about doing the matte black spray paint. Cause the PS4 box tells it is Jet Black but the finish itself looks like matte finish. 

11 minutes ago, tkitch said:

If your paint isn't a matte paint?  You're gonna have a bad time.

Matte paint is the way to go.

If not an option, you can /try/ matte clear coat?  But that's not a guarantee.

You mean the paint ps4 currently has? I think the PS4 is dark black with matte finish. Actually I am confused noticing the box shows Jet Black. I don't know if it really is a jet black or matte black.

1620144194256150708156508126864.jpg

1 minute ago, Mahmudul Hasan said:

You mean the paint ps4 currently has? I think the PS4 is dark black with matte finish. Actually I am confused noticing the box shows Jet Black. I don't know if it really is a jet black or matte black.

1620144194256150708156508126864.jpg

The plastic is Jet black (its just a name for very very black). The matte comes from the rough plastic finish, which would be really hard to reproduce.
You could try and clean thoroughly with some alcohol and see if the matte paint sticks. But im guessing sanding would be necessary thus removing the plastic rough finish.

11 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

The black on the PS4 is from the plastic, so the finish will almost be impossible to reproduce. Just saying.

Matte paint will stick after you sand it, but then all the texture of the plastic is gone, and thats what gives it the look it has.

Yeah. I know that it cannot be possible to reproduce to factory colour but trying to know if anything can be done make it visually more accurate.

1 minute ago, Mahmudul Hasan said:

Yeah. I know that it cannot be possible to reproduce to factory colour but trying to know if anything can be done make it visually more accurate.

Then maybe very lightly sanding, then covereing everthing with tape or something that you dont want painted. I would do that whole side at once so it comes out best.
It will not look the same, but if you take your time with layering the paint, you can still make it look very nice. 😉

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Then maybe very lightly sanding, then covereing everthing with tape or something that you dont want painted. I would do that whole side at once so it comes out best.
It will not look the same, but if you take your time with layering the paint, you can still make it look very nice. 😉

Is sanding an alternative to priming before the painting?

6 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

The plastic is Jet black (its just a name for very very black). The matte comes from the rough plastic finish, which would be really hard to reproduce.
You could try and clean thoroughly with some alcohol and see if the matte paint sticks. But im guessing sanding would be necessary thus removing the plastic rough finish.

Okay. Should I look for a matte black spray paint then? Cause in my area and local eshops I found the matte black spray paint. No jet black spray paint.

Just now, Mahmudul Hasan said:

Is sanding an alternative to priming before the painting?

Kinda, its to make the paint stick.
If you have primer that will stick maybe can use that to preserve the plastic finish.

I had a PS4 and i can remember even though it looks rough its a really smooth finish, hard to stick stuff to (prolly did that so it stays clean longer).

But if there are parts you can test on. Try it out first.

In worst case try find broken PS4 (or just the casing) or something.

6 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Forgive my ignorance. By sanding you mean scratching the damaged surface by a sandpaper?

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Kinda, its to make the paint stick.
If you have primer that will stick maybe can use that to preserve the plastic finish.

I had a PS4 and i can remember even though it looks rough its a really smooth finish, hard to stick stuff to (prolly did that so it stays clean longer).

But if there are parts you can test on. Try it out first.

In worst case try find broken PS4 (or just the casing) or something.

Very good suggestion. Need to experiment with something useless then if it succeeds, will try to ps4.

21 hours ago, Mahmudul Hasan said:

Forgive my ignorance. By sanding you mean scratching the damaged surface by a sandpaper?

Yes.

Best of luck, and if it's worth you can share your project on this site helping maybe others. 🙂