ISPs Allowing VPNs, Proxies and Extra Routers

VFXGuy

Hi there, does anyone know of any good ISPs which provide high speeds while allowing VPNs, Proxies and you to use them in your own network? My ISP says you can use any IP address they didn't assign you in the Ts and Cs. I live in the UK btw.

2 hours ago, VFXGuy said:

Hi there, does anyone know of any good ISPs which provide high speeds while allowing VPNs, Proxies and you to use them in your own network? My ISP says you can use any IP address they didn't assign you in the Ts and Cs. I live in the UK btw.

As in an ISP-run VPN?

Sounds to me like it would be a conflict of interest.

2 hours ago, VFXGuy said:

This reads a lot like you've misunderstood something. An ISP has no say in whether you can use VPNs or proxies and an ISP definitely has no say in what IP-addresses you use for your LAN. They only have a say in what IP-address(es) you get on WAN-side, but they do not get to dictate anything LAN-side.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 hours ago, WereCatf said:

This reads a lot like you've misunderstood something. An ISP has no say in whether you can use VPNs or proxies and an ISP definitely has no say in what IP-addresses you use for your LAN. They only have a say in what IP-address(es) you get on WAN-side, but they do not get to dictate anything LAN-side.

So in the terms and conditions, when they say you can't use any IP address they didn't assign you, that means only WAN side, not LAN side.

Do VPNs count as LAN side?

Just now, VFXGuy said:

Do VPNs count as LAN side?

Your ISP has no say in what IP-address you get from a VPN, it doesn't work like that. That TOS-clause seems to be poorly formed. I don't really know how to explain it off-the-bat to someone with little understanding of networking, but suffice it to say that the clause is not relevant wrt. proxies, VPNs and the likes. It's only relevant if you go and manually assign a static IP-address to the WAN-interface of your modem.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.