can i run 2 r9 290s together?

CaptainCake501

i have an msi gaming edge mobo and i just won a bid to finish my build with a r9 290, i was wondering if i got another one will i be able to run both of them to get better performance out of the rig? 

i7-10700k

noctua d15

32gb ram corsair vengance

750w power gold segotep

currently 1 r9 290 vapor-x (still in shipping)

500gb ssd 2tb hd

5 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Multi-GPU is dead for gaming except in very niche circumstances. Unless you get the second R9 290 for very cheap (think $30 or less) or free, it's not worth it.

Most likely less than not worth it. Given what a power hog the 290 is, I do still think the 30 bucks would hit for pretty long on your power bill (at least on european prices).
For shtis and giggles I would definitely at least try but not for performance reasons.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

7 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Multi-GPU is dead for gaming except in very niche circumstances. Unless you get the second R9 290 for very cheap (think $30 or less) or free, it's not worth it.

this makes me sad, does it really not have any benefits? im bidding on it rn, at 70$

Just now, CaptainCake501 said:

this makes me sad, does it really not have any benefits? im bidding on it rn, at 70$

SLI/Crossfire for gaming is basically dead. What are you planning on doing with both those cards?

1 minute ago, Naijin said:

SLI/Crossfire for gaming is basically dead. What are you planning on doing with both those cards?

honestly its my first build so im just trying to get as much performance as humanly possible out of it with what i could get my hands on. im VERY new to all of this but i know a little about soldering (never done electronics this small before however) and im not afraid to get a little dirty and learn more about overclocking and trying to push the cars to their limits

8 minutes ago, CaptainCake501 said:

honestly its my first build so im just trying to get as much performance as humanly possible out of it with what i could get my hands on. im VERY new to all of this but i know a little about soldering (never done electronics this small before however) and im not afraid to get a little dirty and learn more about overclocking and trying to push the cars to their limits

Don't waste your money. It will net you no additional performance except in the 15 games that support it, and can otherwise hurt performance.

Side note, you can cancel bids on eBay.

elephants

ill do that, thank you guys for the input! ill stick with the one for now and hope it lasts until i can get a new gpu when it all goes back to normal

1 minute ago, CaptainCake501 said:

ill do that, thank you guys for the input! ill stick with the one for now and hope it lasts until i can get a new gpu when it all goes back to normal

Also don't oc 290's not recommended. What I do recommend is replacing the thermal paste on the card as it's old and unless the last owner did it (which is very unlikely) it will be dried up and run a lot hotter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224434523122?nma=true&si=hJujGWlh7FBMz3XlYTm3yno4x4o%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

here is the link the the listing i bought, says he installed new thermal paste, i do have some leftover tho so i may check it and redo it anyway and check the card for any defects while im there

I had 2x R9 290X in CF mode a few years back (in my i7 3960X rig), I do still have the cards, but not using them because I have EK WB's on them, would like to install the original fan shrouds but have lost them. 

I recall certain games work with CF (even up to my 2x VEGA64's in my X570/3900X rig), I know Strange Brigade scales nicely with CF, and the original Metro games respond nicely to CF as well (not sure about the Redux versions). 

Sadly, I'd have to agree that the heydays of CF/SLi is now in our rear view mirror, feasible years ago because CF/SLi support was through driver updates. Now, with DX12, I believe it's up to game developers to enable such support in the engine, and since CF/SLi is such a niche market, there's no incentive for them to do so (also bear in mind that GPU are getting very powerful, my single RX 6900 XT just about matches my old 2x VEGA64's in Strange Brigade)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2