Before you say "Is ___ watts enough?", Use this calculator!

Anthony10

Before you go out and make the annoying thread of "IS ___ WATTS ENOUGH FOR MY COMPUTER???? HERE ARE DA TINGS INSIDE MY COMPUTER:"

I will save you from giving yourself a bad reputation on the forums by showing you THIS CALCULATOR!

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

This calculator allows your to calculate EVERY POSSIBLE THING that you can think of that you would need, including water cooling setups, peripherals, ect.!

If this could be pinned so people don't post the annoying threads that would be great, thanks.

My bad, maybe that should have a title change?

People still tend not to read the pinned threads. Even in the new builds section, the pinned thread says "read before posting", yet people still manage to miss it (:

It's normally easier to have one thread that covers everything in the section (like the new builds thread) so that you can link to it when people ask a question that can already be answered or needs more information. 

I think most people on this forum know about that calculator.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

As I said I am new to the forums and havent had time to check out all the pinned threads yet, thanks for the link.

@Redportal Hey you should make a buyers guide for PSU's and then PM a mod asking him to pin it. 

I think this website is pretty accurate and usefull. 

@Redportal Hey you should make a buyers guide for PSU's and then PM a mod asking him to pin it. 

I like the idea of that, I might get around to making a system builder guide for both servers and computers. Would you like to help? And if there is already a guide please link me, as it would be awkward if I made a copy of an existing thread.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

I like the idea of that, I might get around to making a system builder guide for both servers and computers. Would you like to help? And if there is already a guide please link me, as it would be awkward if I made a copy of an existing thread.

Sure, I wouldn't mind helping. I couldn't really help with the servers part considering I never owned a home server nor worked on a server. 

That website over-estimates a bit but it's far better than any other

That's hilarious.

>Makes thread telling people to use a calculator to avoid getting a bad reputation on the forums.

>Doesn't realise calculator is already linked on the forums.

There's been many threads about this in the past ;) none of them seem to get pinned.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14175-power-supply-wattage-calculator/

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Just re-did the calc for the giggles and i got out 538W recommened, 488W minimum. How does the calculator recommend you stuff? Does it tell you the absolute minimum that you could operate it on, or does it recommend you a PSU, so that you are in the middle of it's efficiency curve, at full load? If latter one is true, then i can understand the recommendation that he gave me. If not.... then.... well. :D I did my stress testing, and my PC draws 320W off the wall, overclocked, prime95 and valley benchmark running.

I call BS on this calc (again), if you are searching for the amount of wattage that your components can draw. And i call no BS, if the it tries to recommend you a PSU, to efficiently pwoer your PC.

who cares...

Just re-did the calc for the giggles and i got out 538W recommened, 488W minimum. How does the calculator recommend you stuff? Does it tell you the absolute minimum that you could operate it on, or does it recommend you a PSU, so that you are in the middle of it's efficiency curve, at full load? If latter one is true, then i can understand the recommendation that he gave me. If not.... then.... well. :D I did my stress testing, and my PC draws 320W off the wall, overclocked, prime95 and valley benchmark running.

I call BS on this calc (again), if you are searching for the amount of wattage that your components can draw. And i call no BS, if the it tries to recommend you a PSU, to efficiently pwoer your PC.

It recommends you a PSU based on the rating, although I don't think it's ever fully in the efficiency curve.  The minimum would be the minimum that would run, and the recommended would put you at the upper limits of the efficiency range from what I can tell.

Just used this tool for a rough estimate. I'm going to be getting a 7990 on friday and just wanted to make sure my  750w psu would hold up. Looks like it will but I'm running out of headroom. Might be time to upgrade if I add anything else.. or remove a hdd or two. Lol. Thanks OP!