H100i v2 going bad after 6 years? And what is best replacement cooler for 5900x

Dexterity

what is the life expectancy of a AIO cooler?
I bought mines back in Late 2015 for my 6700k, and only recently I upgraded to a 5900x.

my idle temps are around 40C-45C, which seems to be somewhat normal form 5900x from researching on the forums. (I believe anywhere around 30C for the 6700k)

But whenever I spin up any game, it goes to 90C immediately and it feels like cool air is being blown from the fans on the radiator.

Do yall think the AIO is finally dead?
If the AIO is really dead, I guess no more AIOs for me if they only last few years.

what would be a good Air cooler for a 5900x?

Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz CL15 | ASUS Strix RX480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i GTX | Fractal Design R5

Drop ENTR Halo True | Logitech G900 Choas Spectrum | Blue-Yeti | AKG k553 Pro

What's your full specs? Sounds like a dead pump in your H100i. I'd consider six years to be pretty decent for an AIO tbh, but if you're looking to try something different I'd probably recommend the NH-D15. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

10 minutes ago, Dexterity said:

what is the life expectancy of a AIO cooler?
I bought mines back in Late 2015 for my 6700k, and only recently I upgraded to a 5900x.

my idle temps are around 40C-45C, which seems to be somewhat normal form 5900x from researching on the forums. (I believe anywhere around 30C for the 6700k)

But whenever I spin up any game, it goes to 90C immediately and it feels like cool air is being blown from the fans on the radiator.

Do yall think the AIO is finally dead?
If the AIO is really dead, I guess no more AIOs for me if they only last few years.

what would be a good Air cooler for a 5900x?

My H100i Platinum died after 1.5 years. Yours went pretty good tbh.
In my opinion, get an air cooler or do custom loop. AIOs are not worth it

18 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

What's your full specs? Sounds like a dead pump in your H100i. I'd consider six years to be pretty decent for an AIO tbh, but if you're looking to try something different I'd probably recommend the NH-D15. 

Full specs Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz | ASUS Strix rx480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i gtx | Fractal Design R5

11 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

My H100i Platinum died after 1.5 years. Yours went pretty good tbh.
In my opinion, get an air cooler or do custom loop. AIOs are not worth it

haha interesting, I guess I got lucky for 6 years of AIO 😊

Yeah currently I am looking at the NH-D15 and Dark Rock Pro 4.
I might be leaning towards the Dark Rock Pro 4 because it is cheaper and in stock.

Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz CL15 | ASUS Strix RX480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i GTX | Fractal Design R5

2 minutes ago, Dexterity said:

Full specs Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz | ASUS Strix rx480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i gtx | Fractal Design R5

haha interesting, I guess I got lucky for 6 years of AIO 😊

Yeah currently I am looking at the NH-D15 and Dark Rock Pro 4.
I might be leaning towards the Dark Rock Pro 4 because it is cheaper and in stock.

Good for you. I had to wait 2.5 months to import a NHD15 chromax. 

2 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

Good for you. I had to wait 2.5 months to import a NHD15 chromax. 

yeah the struggle is real for gamers 😢

other kickass air coolers

dual tower

DEEPCOOL Assassin III

Thermalright Frost Commander 140

thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

single tower

thermalright Le GRAND MACHO RT

for aios

i would either go with

ek aio

or

phanteks glacier one

7 hours ago, narrdarr said:

dual tower

DEEPCOOL Assassin III

single tower

for aios

i would either go with

ek aio

or

phanteks glacier one

thanks this is really good information! I will compare these too the DarkRock Pro4

39 minutes ago, Dexterity said:

thanks this is really good information! I will compare these too the DarkRock Pro4

the CPU cant dump enough heat to fully challenge any of the air cooler mention. so it really comes down to what style you like. but really question is will these fit in your case?

On 4/30/2021 at 9:30 AM, narrdarr said:

the CPU cant dump enough heat to fully challenge any of the air cooler mention. so it really comes down to what style you like. but really question is will these fit in your case?

good tip! maybe time to measure my case, but I already ordered oops
or... its a good time for a new one xD Fractal Design R5 is getting old 🙂

I already pulled trigger on the DarkRock Pro4, its all black and was in stock, just wanted to get something fast.

1 hour ago, Dexterity said:

good tip! maybe time to measure my case, but I already ordered oops
or... its a good time for a new one xD Fractal Design R5 is getting old 🙂

I already pulled trigger on the DarkRock Pro4, its all black and was in stock, just wanted to get something fast.

there is enough room

Not trying to hijack the thread but it feels kinda redundant making a new one as the pump in my own h100i I bought in 2015 myself is making some noises. I am running a 5960x @4.5GHZ with 1.29 volts and it never goes above 80 degrees but I am worried that the strain is finally getting to it and it will go any day now. I am thinking about replacing it with an air cooler if it does but I am worried that any of the top of the range coolers will cut off the first PCI slot of my Asus Rampage V Extreme 3.1 which would screw up the spacing that would allow me to NVLINK a second RTX 3090 when supplies and prices normalize.

Stupid displacement maps, eating all mah VRAM.

I know that this is the case with the NHD15, does anyone know of a competing air-cooler that is a little narrower so that it will fit my Gigabyte Aorus Master 3090 with its backplate or will I just have to invest in another AIO?

7 hours ago, Immitem said:

Not trying to hijack the thread but it feels kinda redundant making a new one as the pump in my own h100i I bought in 2015 myself is making some noises. I am running a 5960x @4.5GHZ with 1.29 volts and it never goes above 80 degrees but I am worried that the strain is finally getting to it and it will go any day now. I am thinking about replacing it with an air cooler if it does but I am worried that any of the top of the range coolers will cut off the first PCI slot of my Asus Rampage V Extreme 3.1 which would screw up the spacing that would allow me to NVLINK a second RTX 3090 when supplies and prices normalize.

I know that this is the case with the NHD15, does anyone know of a competing air-cooler that is a little narrower so that it will fit my Gigabyte Aorus Master 3090 with its backplate or will I just have to invest in another AIO?

yea you should start your own thread. your conditions are different, but anyways I'd take look at the macho coolers from thermalright or the ninja 5 from scythe. if you get the ninja 5 I would some different fans. it's not that the fans are bad, they are just a bad pairing with cooler. slap some artic p12s on there and call it a day.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:57 AM, Immitem said:

On 4/29/2021 at 10:46 PM, narrdarr said:

dual tower

DEEPCOOL Assassin III

single tower

for aios

i would either go with

ek aio

or

phanteks glacier one

Nice list of air coolers, but they might be too large for the Rampage motherboard with how close the top PCI-e slot is located. AIOs might be the most viable option.

DeepCool Support

9 minutes ago, DeepCool zer0 said:

Nice list of air coolers, but they might be too large for the Rampage motherboard with how close the top PCI-e slot is located. AIOs might be the most viable option.

DeepCool Support

On 5/2/2021 at 9:08 AM, narrdarr said:

yea you should start your own thread. your conditions are different, but anyways I'd take look at the macho coolers from thermalright or the ninja 5 from scythe. if you get the ninja 5 I would some different fans. it's not that the fans are bad, they are just a bad pairing with cooler. slap some artic p12s on there and call it a day.