Cant´t forward ports

Toni_TJ
Go to solution Solved by Toni_TJ,

Okay so i was now able to solve the problem. I called the Vodafone support and explained the problem to them. They told me that with Vodafone a normal customer wouldnt have a public  IPv4 adress. So without calling the support of Vodafone I wouldnt have been able to solve the problem due to the fact that only Vodafone can change that. The server now works as it should. Thanks again, @PorkishPig for helping me with this issue. Without your help there is a big chance that i wouldnt have learned that the problem was with the IPv4 and not with the ports themselves. 

I have problems with forwarding ports for a server. I tried everythig I read on the internet but none of it helped. I forwarded the ports in the Windows Defender Advanced settings tab ( in and out) forwarded the ports in my antivirus-program and on my router. I even tried it with my firewall completetly off but that didnt work either. During all of that testing i even reseted my PC (though not due to that reason) and it didnt change anythign. Im quite sure that the firewall isnt blocking it because it would be shown in the firewall-history. When i called the company which produces my router they also said that if the green light ( on the site where i configure my router and as such my ports) was on, everythign should be working and the problem should be with the firewall. So now im clueless and hoping for some answers here... And maybe i should mention that the server works on a simulated local network with a software which tricks the router into thinking im connecting with someone over a local network. [I checked if the ports were open on websites and by people trying to join the server.]

10 minutes ago, Toni_TJ said:

When i called the company which produces my router they also said that if the green light ( on the site where i configure my router and as such my ports) was on, everythign should be working and the problem should be with the firewall.

How is the device you're trying to port forward to connected to your modem?

8 minutes ago, Toni_TJ said:

[I checked if the ports were open on websites and by people trying to join the server.]

You say you tested that your port was opened with a website, but what was the result of those tests?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

==Moved to networking==

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 hours ago, PorkishPig said:

How is the device you're trying to port forward to connected to your modem?

You say you tested that your port was opened with a website, but what was the result of those tests?

My PC is connected with a lan cable connected to a repeater which sits in a socket. I also tried it over a common wi-fi connection but no luck there.( When i tried it with wi-fi my pc still connected with other repeaters in the house, not directly with the Modem itself)

The tests said the port would be closed

7 hours ago, Toni_TJ said:

My PC is connected with a lan cable connected to a repeater which sits in a socket. I also tried it over a common wi-fi connection but no luck there.( When i tried it with wi-fi my pc still connected with other repeaters in the house, not directly with the Modem itself)

The tests said the port would be closed

Is there a router in between your modem and your repeater? If so, you're likely behind a Double NAT, and will need to do one of the following:

• Put your ISP modem into bridge mode.
    Note: If you have TV service from your ISP, this change may prevent use of VOD and remote DVR services without additional configuration.
  • In your ISP modem's configuration, forward the port to your router. In your router's configuration, forward the same port to your server.
  • Connect your server directly to the modem via Ethernet, forward the port directly to the server.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

4 hours ago, PorkishPig said:

Is there a router in between your modem and your repeater? If so, you're likely behind a Double NAT, and will need to do one of the following:

• Put your ISP modem into bridge mode.
    Note: If you have TV service from your ISP, this change may prevent use of VOD and remote DVR services without additional configuration.
  • In your ISP modem's configuration, forward the port to your router. In your router's configuration, forward the same port to your server.
  • Connect your server directly to the modem via Ethernet, forward the port directly to the server.

No, i dont use an additional router. I was now able to connect my device directly with my router over wifi but the ports are still not accessible...

3 minutes ago, Toni_TJ said:

No, i dont use an additional router. I was now able to connect my device directly with my router over wifi but the ports are still not accessible...

Which ISP do you have?

Desktop

Homelab

10 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Which ISP do you have?

Fritz! Box Cable 6490. The repeater is a Fritz! Box 2400. The Support told me everything should work in this configuration

7 minutes ago, Toni_TJ said:

Fritz! Box Cable 6490. The repeater is a Fritz! Box 2400. The Support told me everything should work in this configuration

Could you provide the name of your Internet Service Provider (Deutshe Telekom, Vodafone, 1&1, etc)?

Desktop

Homelab

14 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Could you provide the name of your Internet Service Provider (Deutshe Telekom, Vodafone, 1&1, etc)?

It's Kabel Deutschland (Vodafone)

31 minutes ago, Toni_TJ said:

It's Kabel Deutschland (Vodafone)

Most likely, the issue you're running into is Vodafone using a technology called IPv6 Dual-Stack Lite, which you can read about here. Though I have not personally interacted with this technology, it sounds like you are not assigned a unique IPv4 address, and therefore must use your IPv6 address. According to Vodafone documentation:

Abgesehen vom Online-Gaming gibt es noch andere Herausforderungen mit IPv6: Einige Kunden haben einen eigenen Server im Heimnetz. Den kann man z.B. als Medien-Server nutzen und Dateien darauf ablegen. So können alle Mitglieder des Heimnetzes auf diese Dateien zugreifen. Mit DS Lite ist es nicht möglich, von außen übers Internet auf den Server zuzugreifen, wenn dieser kein IPv6 unterstützt. Dann fehlt der gewohnte Zugriff auf Daten wie Fotos oder Videos.

Falls Du DS Lite hast und überall Zugriff auf Deinen Heimserver haben willst: Achte darauf, den Server mit IPv6 aufzusetzen. So bist Du auch von außen erreichbar.

(Some customers have their own server in the home network. You can use it as a media server and store files on it, for example. This means that all members of the home network can access these files. With DS Lite it is not possible to access the server from outside via the Internet if it does not support IPv6. Then the usual access to data such as photos or videos is missing.

If you have DS Lite and want to have access to your home server everywhere: Make sure to set up the server with IPv6. So you can also be reached from the outside.)

You can use this tool to test your IPv6 address for open ports.

Desktop

Homelab

1 hour ago, PorkishPig said:

Most likely, the issue you're running into is Vodafone using a technology called IPv6 Dual-Stack Lite, which you can read about here. Though I have not personally interacted with this technology, it sounds like you are not assigned a unique IPv4 address, and therefore must use your IPv6 address. According to Vodafone documentation:

You can use this tool to test your IPv6 address for open ports.

The Server I am trying to host can unfortunately only be hosted with IPv4 not IPv6 because it somehow isnt supported... Ive read about VPN tunnels which should allow a connection between IPv4 and IPv6 but Ill have to look into that a bit more. Still I dont understand why I am then able to host a server over a simulated LAN-Network. Me and the other users of the server use a software called LogMeIn Hamachi which simulates this. If DS-Lite wouldnt allow this connection ( which could very well be ) how is LogMeIn Hamachi able to bypass this. Im not interested in how it works just that it works and if you think that the problem could be with DS-Lite although the other users are connected with LogMeIn Hamachi. I really aprecciate your help so far and the ínformation you were able to find out. 

16 hours ago, Toni_TJ said:

If DS-Lite wouldnt allow this connection ( which could very well be ) how is LogMeIn Hamachi able to bypass this.

When you're using Hamachi, you're connecting to an entirely separate physical network. Configuration changes on your local network (with the exception of blocking Hamachi's outbound ports) have absolutely no impact on the functionality of Hamachi.

16 hours ago, Toni_TJ said:

The Server I am trying to host can unfortunately only be hosted with IPv4 not IPv6 because it somehow isnt supported...

Is this a matter of the game not allowing IPv6 addresses to be entered, or is there documentation explicitly stating that the service does not supposed IPv6? If it's a matter of being unable to enter an IPv6 address, you can use DuckDNS to associate your IPv6 address with a subdomain.

Desktop

Homelab

Okay so i was now able to solve the problem. I called the Vodafone support and explained the problem to them. They told me that with Vodafone a normal customer wouldnt have a public  IPv4 adress. So without calling the support of Vodafone I wouldnt have been able to solve the problem due to the fact that only Vodafone can change that. The server now works as it should. Thanks again, @PorkishPig for helping me with this issue. Without your help there is a big chance that i wouldnt have learned that the problem was with the IPv4 and not with the ports themselves.