Good program to learn python?

Kanna

My school want's me to try programming in python using something called repl.it and I went like eh it's fine but in reality it feels off and I even tried some code someone else wrote just to test and see if I can learn something by modifying that code, the codes I tried that was already built did in fact not work were they missing something or was this site missing something the code used?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

5 minutes ago, Kanna said:

was this site missing something the code used?

Most likely whatever modules the code you tried was using don't exist on that website. That's the downside to those kinds of services: they can't and won't install every possible module that exists.

Personally, I'd rather just recommend installing Python locally. If you're worried about messing something up, you could even set up a virtual-machine and install Python inside there -- it'll be really easy to get rid of everything if you ever get bored or whatever, since you can just delete the whole VM when done.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, Kanna said:

the codes I tried that was already built did in fact not work were they missing something or was this site missing something the code used?

We can't possibly know. We haven't seen those codes.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

- - snip - -

Yeah the site has access to GitHub but I still see what you mean, the code I used probably had a module from some other place, how would I install python locally?

3 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

We can't possibly know. We haven't seen those codes.

Well I tried various different codes that I just got from coding sites or similar places that showed how to build something for example but I came to conclusions above

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

32 minutes ago, Kanna said:

how would I install python locally?

You download the installer at https://www.python.org/

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, Kanna said:

My school want's me to try programming in python using something called repl.it and I went like eh it's fine but in reality it feels off and I even tried some code someone else wrote just to test and see if I can learn something by modifying that code, the codes I tried that was already built did in fact not work were they missing something or was this site missing something the code used?

You can install anything to replit like you would with Linux since each repl has its own VM. I also prefer writing code locally, but it is a BIG help for some of my robotics team that use macs or can't figure out how to install all the java/gradle dependencies needed to build code for our specific robot-- because I can go in their repl and install it for them. I've also had multiple assignments and examples posted to replit by my professor for C++ (Can't say anything about python but I don't imagine installing packages is too hard).

First of all: Do not install the Python Version you find within the Microsoft Store - this gets installed in a really weird place so the VS Code Python Plugin by Microsoft does not find the Python Installation (At least I run into that problem about half a year ago, when I gave it a try).

Beginners usually do not need many different packages and package versions, so I would even recommend a local install on the PC without any virtual machine. Python itself can be uninstalled cleanly off Windows if things go bad. After Python is installed, Windows listens to the commands "python" and "pip" within the PowerShell. While python executes scripts, pip is your "packet manager". To install packages, simply type "pip install numpy" (for the numpy package) and the packet will be added. 

import numpy as np

for example will work after that install on your system.

For actual coding, I recommend installing "Visual Studio Code" (not Community 2019, just "VS Code") with Microsofts official Python and PyLance extensions. This conveniently connects to your Python installation, lets you run the Python script by pressing "F5", integrates a Powershell terminal for pip-installs and even integrates the Jupyter-Notebooks. (see below)

When dealing with different package versions, I recommend using Anaconda. (But I do not recommend this to a beginner)

I really like programming Python code within a "JuPyter Notebook". (See image below) This is not really the "way to go" for programming actual programs in an object oriented way, but to develop different algorithms for image processing or to set up a machine learning pipeline. The VS Code installation will connect to your installed Python and let you develop comfortably in a "document" style split into sections. Each section can be run independently but might rely on previous sections.

image.png.459ad350e1fb6410be9039a8c324e5fa.png