My computer keeps freezing once every 5-8 hours, what do I do?

Go to solution Solved by Lorenzo54321,

Update again: seems like it was an event from intel rapid storage ® having some sort of errors and after a bit of time it would crash the whole OS.
Thanks everybody for the help, for now it's been 24h and the system still hasn't freezed yet, hoping for the best!
Special thanks to @Radium_Angelfor the availability

Hello everyone,
It's been about a week since my computer started freezing on it's own.

my computer is a lenovo ideapad 100-15IBD and my system spec is

• CPU : i3-5005U
  • GPU : Geforce 920M
  • Memory : 4 GB 1600Mhz DDR3
  • Storage : 860 EVO 512GB

For now I've tried to remove fast boot, remove PCIe sleep and tried to run sfc /scannow but it doesn't seem to have solved it.

If this other information helps, I usually run chrome, discord and rarely other programs (Fusion 360, Hitfilm, GIMP...)

sidenote: the freezing occurs every 6-8 hours so It will take some time to see if your solution worked

When you say "freezing" do you mean a hard lock, where the system doesn't respond to any keyboard or mouse input, or temporary freezes where it stops responding, but then starts again?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

When you say "freezing" do you mean a hard lock, where the system doesn't respond to any keyboard or mouse input, or temporary freezes where it stops responding, but then starts again?

I mean everything stops, mouse and keyboard, and not even the power button can do anything, the only thing that works is doing an hard reset aka holding the power button for 5-10 seconds.
Thank you for pointing it out, I forgot to specify.

27 minutes ago, Lorenzo54321 said:

Hi,
It's been about a week since my computer started freezing on it's own.

my computer is a lenovo ideapad 100-15IBD and my system spec is

• CPU : i3-5005U
  • GPU : Geforce 920M
  • Memory : 4 GB 1600Mhz DDR3
  • Storage : 860 EVO 512GB

For now I've tried to remove fast boot, remove PCIe sleep and tried to run sfc /scannow but it doesn't seem to have solved it.

If this other information helps, I usually run chrome, discord and rarely other programs (Fusion 360, Hitfilm, GIMP...)

sidenote: the freezing occurs every 6-8 hours so It will take some time to see if your solution worked

I am not sure that what am thinking of would cause that, but would having only 4gb of ram be able to do that? I'd guess no.

Just now, Latvian Video said:

I am not sure that what am thinking of would cause that, but would having only 4gb of ram be able to do that? I'd guess no.

I've been doing this for the past 4 years and had no problem, changed to an SSD (hard drives are slow) at late november and it worked well for a long time until last week so I don't think it's the ram.
I'll try to open less apps and see if the frequency of the crash changes, thank you for pointing it out.

1 minute ago, Lorenzo54321 said:

I've been doing this for the past 4 years and had no problem, changed to an SSD (hard drives are slow) at late november and it worked well for a long time until last week so I don't think it's the ram.
I'll try to open less apps and see if the frequency of the crash changes, thank you for pointing it out.

No problem, I usually want 8gb or more ram. I upgraded my laptop to 8gb of ram like 1y ago, there wasnt much difference because the laptop isnt too powerful, but the ssd was a huge upgrade, I put in a PNY 20eur 120gb ssd, and it was quite fast compared to the hdd.

5 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

No problem, I usually want 8gb or more ram. I upgraded my laptop to 8gb of ram like 1y ago, there wasnt much difference because the laptop isnt too powerful, but the ssd was a huge upgrade, I put in a PNY 20eur 120gb ssd, and it was quite fast compared to the hdd.

I don't think I can ever go back from SSD to HDD. There is too much of a difference 😂.

2 hours ago, Lorenzo54321 said:

I mean everything stops, mouse and keyboard, and not even the power button can do anything, the only thing that works is doing an hard reset aka holding the power button for 5-10 seconds.
Thank you for pointing it out, I forgot to specify.

Hardware failure.

Most likely the mobo.

Really corrupted RAM *can* cause this in rare instances, use MemTest86 to rule that out.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

15 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hardware failure.

Most likely the mobo.

Really corrupted RAM *can* cause this in rare instances, use MemTest86 to rule that out.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. It could be that, I've had PCIe problems with the network card so maybe that's affecting something else too? not sure, but I'll run MemTest86 and see if the memory is having problems, I have ram from another computer so that shouldn't be too hard to substitute.
Thank you for the suggestion!

No problems, let us know how the MemTest86 went.

You can run a LiveUSB install of something like Linux Mint (it's very Windows-like) and either confirm bad hardware or rule it out (Linux is very unforgiving of bad hardware)

I'm thinking that maybe the ssd is not fully seated so it may disconnects for a brief moment which crashes windows, make sure it does not wiggle at all in there, you may use paper or foam to fill the any gap.

9 minutes ago, Cob said:

I'm thinking that maybe the ssd is not fully seated so it may disconnects for a brief moment which crashes windows, make sure it does not wiggle at all in there, you may use paper or foam to fill the any gap.

The time that I mounted it I used all the screws and I didn't have any wiggle.
I thank you for trying to help out, I really appreciate it.

If anyone knows anything about registers is there a way to see in the windows registers the reason of this freeze.

Just throwing out ideas.

1 hour ago, Lorenzo54321 said:

If anyone knows anything about registers is there a way to see in the windows registers the reason of this freeze.

Just throwing out ideas.

Type Event Viewer in the search bar, you'll be able to find if it's a hardware error there.

You can also use the Reliability Monitor to see it.

I've had this problem too, I solved it by reinstalling Windows I'm afraid. Hard freezes like that can also be due to OS corruption.

On 4/26/2021 at 5:07 PM, Radium_Angel said:

No problems, let us know how the MemTest86 went.

You can run a LiveUSB install of something like Linux Mint (it's very Windows-like) and either confirm bad hardware or rule it out (Linux is very unforgiving of bad hardware)

Done the scan and it's a pass, idk if you want the html report.

Edit: this is from the html report

image.png.91045645e60827b19cf8b25b5748c6fd.png

On 4/26/2021 at 7:41 PM, Vordhosbn said:

Type Event Viewer in the search bar, you'll be able to find if it's a hardware error there.

You can also use the Reliability Monitor to see it.

I've had this problem too, I solved it by reinstalling Windows I'm afraid. Hard freezes like that can also be due to OS corruption.

There are many events, what should I filter to see what was the cause, errors maybe?
Thank you for the help

24 minutes ago, Lorenzo54321 said:

There are many events, what should I filter to see what was the cause, errors maybe?
Thank you for the help

Ok, RAM is good, that's a good sign.

As to the Event Viewer, we are mainly looking at the System subsection, and anything with a Red ! mark.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, RAM is good, that's a good sign.

As to the Event Viewer, we are mainly looking at the System subsection, and anything with a Red ! mark.

Thank you for the consistent support @Radium_Angel, is there anything else that comes to your mind that could be a problem?

Just now, Lorenzo54321 said:

Thank you for the consistent support @Radium_Angel, is there anything else that comes to your mind that could be a problem?

Lots, but let's look at one thing at a time.

Update: I am doing the new windows update hoping it was a windows issue with one of the programs I have, if it's not I am ready to reinstall windows from scratch.

Update again: seems like it was an event from intel rapid storage ® having some sort of errors and after a bit of time it would crash the whole OS.
Thanks everybody for the help, for now it's been 24h and the system still hasn't freezed yet, hoping for the best!
Special thanks to @Radium_Angelfor the availability