Is this a bad way to set up?

Kanna

I have a blu ray player plugged into the receiver via the red and white cables and then the same blu ray player is plugged into the TV via HDMI so I get picture, does this damage the blu ray player? Should I get something more appropriate?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

It shouldn't mess it up, Red and white are audio and yellow is video. And it's not going to mess it up, even though HDMI carries digital audio

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

No, it's totally fine from a hardware safety perspective... it's just not an ideal setup.

I guess what I'm wondering is, is your receiver a surround receiver or just stereo? If you actually have a surround setup, you aren't getting true surround this way, if it is just stereo, this is actually acceptable, just not getting you optimal sound quality.

Any chance you could provide a model number of your receiver?

What you really want to do is run the HDMI from the BD player to your receiver and then HDMI from that to your TV. If you don't have HDMI on your receiver, I would look into getting the sound to the receiver via TOSLINK, if your receiver supports it and BD player can output this. This will get you true surround, not HD audio or anything but still far better then how you are doing it. I would actually do this even if I was just using a stereo setup.

17 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I have a blu ray player plugged into the receiver via the red and white cables and then the same blu ray player is plugged into the TV via HDMI so I get picture, does this damage the blu ray player? Should I get something more appropriate?

Does your TV have an RCA or headphone out you could use instead? This would be a better choice in terms of audio quality.  

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That won't cause any issues, but hdmi audio is normally much better quality, so id use hdmi to the reciever for audio.

I can't use HDMI since this is my best idea of a way my dad can play custom music without spending money and learning anything complicated

7 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

- - snip - -

It's just stereo, I can't get any model number due to that this is a like local brand thing and it doesn't have HDMI or toslink since it's just a receiver for radio sound system not meant for TV

6 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

No it won't damage anything. But how old is your receiver? Assuming it doesn't have HDMI the better choice would be optical output.

The receiver is like maybe from before Y2K but not sure 

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

4 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Does your TV have an RCA or headphone out you could use instead? This would be a better choice in terms of audio quality.  

Sadly it does not it's a Samsung TV bought at the time they were removing ports like that so no RCA or headphone jack just crappy scart and HDMI (and a toslink but I can't make use of that right now)

Reminder⚠️

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Sadly it does not it's a Samsung TV bought at the time they were removing ports like that so no RCA or headphone jack just crappy scart and HDMI (and a toslink but I can't make use of that right now)

Have you considered using a box like this to convert the toslink coming off your tv into RCA or 3.5mm?    https://www.amazon.com/Converter-192kHz-Techole-Aluminum-Converter-Headphone/dp/B07MPF4F68/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=4IRQZJLG5X9J&dchild=1&keywords=toslink+to+3.5mm&qid=1619207909&sprefix=toslink+to%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1AMR8AMGNAV4H&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFKUDFKNjM1TzBXQU8mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwMzI1MzgyV0xCNkZHWVI0R04zJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2OTEwOTMzMkFBWFo3SVRSTEhLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Reminder⚠️

8 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I have but the thing is those are hella expensive where I live

in that case your solution makes sense

3 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Why would he need that? He already has RCA coming out of the blu-ray player.

it would likely be a cleaner signal in an ideal world, but as I said if it is prohibitively expensive it is not a big deal. 

1 hour ago, doomsriker said:

it would likely be a cleaner signal in an ideal world, but as I said if it is prohibitively expensive it is not a big deal. 

I don't see how routing the audio thru 2 extra devices would clean the signal but whatever.