Buy just a new CPU or also a motherboard?

Currently I have a ryzen 5 2600  with an ASUS tuf b450m-plus gaming motherboard. I want to upgrade for the best bang for your buck cpu, (5600x?) or should I also upgrade my motherboard to get pcie 4.0?

52 minutes ago, hbsterling said:

Currently I have a ryzen 5 2600  with an ASUS tuf b450m-plus gaming motherboard. I want to upgrade for the best bang for your buck cpu, (5600x?) or should I also upgrade my motherboard to get pcie 4.0?

No point changing motherboard for just PCIe 4.0 support.

Just update to the BIOS to latest, before switching the CPU.

I edit my posts more often than not

AM4 in general is a great motherboard platform. I'm also running a B450 board and I even chose that since I don't use Ryzen 5000 and PCIe 4.0 support is only a small difference.

If you watch Linus videos you would know that PCIe 4.0 differences are only 5% or less in performance. You don't really get much more fps or faster SSD speeds through it.

Update your bios and use Ryzen 5000 with that board, you're fine.

Just now, FRD said:

AM4 in general is a great motherboard platform. I'm also running a B450 board and I even chose that since I don't use Ryzen 5000 and PCIe 4.0 support is only a small difference.

If you watch Linus videos you would know that PCIe 4.0 differences are only 5% or less in performance. You don't really get much more fps or faster SSD speeds through it.

Update your bios and use Ryzen 5000 with that board, you're fine.

In terms of future upgradability, would ryzen 5000 support eventual ddr5/usb4.0 or no?

Just now, hbsterling said:

In terms of future upgradability, would ryzen 5000 support eventual ddr5/usb4.0 or no?

Nope, I think there will be a totally new socket after AM4. For sure it will be a new chipset like 650 or 750, who knows.
DDR5 and USB 4.0 will be on a whole new platform in general, just because of the speeds that are not handled (yet) by today's components.
By that time we all have to upgrade our platform (motherboard+cpu+ram probably).

2 minutes ago, hbsterling said:

likely no

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, hbsterling said:

just update the bios and switch your cpu, and the 5600x is a good choice if your gaming

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now