Upgrading from a laptop to PC

Go to solution Solved by TMShader,

I changed my setup completely. I got some inspiration from some LTT videos and your comments. Thanks for all the help!

Hi, I'm a student from Hungary and I'd like to upgrade my laptop to a PC at the end of the school year. I picked a starting point that I think is great. I never built a PC before, that's the main reason I'm asking for help here. 

1. Budget & Location

I want the whole build to be under 1600 USD (500,000 HUF)

2. Aim

I will use this computer to do software developement and sometimes play games with low performance requirements (Minecraft, Don't starve, etc.). I might use it to play around with blender and unity a little bit but that's not the main goal.

3. Monitors

I want one ultrawide or wide monitor that I included in the starting point that I chose.

4. Peripherals

I'm going to use Windows and I only need a monitor for the PC.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading because my laptop is really old and slow and I finally got enough money to upgrade. I always preferred PCs over laptops and I have the chance to get one.

6. Existing parts

I made a list on PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9GLQsX

I'm thankful for any kind of help. If you think that the starting point doesn't have any flaws and it should be ok to buy it, please let me know that too.

Thanks, have a great day!

the gpu you've selected is very overpriced and slow (as are all gpu options currently). I'd go with integrated graphics until the market comes back.

Do you have something to recommend? I'm not very experienced in this so I have no idea what a good choice could be.

6 minutes ago, TMShader said:

Do you have something to recommend? I'm not very experienced in this so I have no idea what a good choice could be.

Well the unfortunate thing is that there is nothing to recommend. There is no real GPUS available right now.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Max L said:

-Why the $130 AIO for a 10600K?
-A $150 board that doesn't even allow Ram overclocking?
Why THAT much storage? Op needs 1TB
Why a RM750? That is so overkill.

OP please don't use this build, this doesn't help you at all.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Downkey said:

OP please don't use this build, this doesn't help you at all.

Thanks for warning me! 🙂

9 minutes ago, TMShader said:

Do you have something to recommend?

Right now the GPU market is absolute garbage. The only way to find a decent deal right now (and even then it can be hard) is too look around at the used market. I managed to pick up a 1070 for about $200 USD however right now I've seen a lot of bids hovering around the $250 mark and scalpers trying to unload them for $400 which is absurd. If you only doing 1080p gaming I would shoot for a 1060 6GB at the minimum however, if your looking for 1440p then I would try and find a reasonably priced 2060 super or better. (not as familiar with its used market). According to chip markers in Tawain the chip supply problem won't be fixed until sometime in 2022 and then we will still need to wait for companies to receive these chips and get more GPUs out on the market.

What is integrated graphics? Is that some kind of other version/type of GPUs or is that a separate thing?

2 minutes ago, TMShader said:

What is integrated graphics? Is that some kind of other version/type of GPUs or is that a separate thing?

Graphics cards are basically impossible tog et right now. Unless you can find a decent card on the sued market, I would recommend just getting a new laptop for now or waiting.

2 minutes ago, DobertRownySr said:

Graphics cards are basically impossible tog et right now. Unless you can find a decent card on the sued market, I would recommend just getting a new laptop for now or waiting.

And I need a graphics card no matter what, right? 
Sorry, I'm really new to this.

1 minute ago, TMShader said:

And I need a graphics card no matter what, right? 
Sorry, I'm really new to this.

If you plan on doing any sort of serious 3D application usage, such as gaming, then yes. You absolutely need a dedicated graphics card.

If you're just going to browse the internet and watch videos, then you can get away with an integrated graphics processor. 

Well I was thinking about playing with blender (3D animation and modelling app) and maybe trying some game developement. But I could just delay those and do them when I get a normal graphics card for a normal price.

I changed my setup completely. I got some inspiration from some LTT videos and your comments. Thanks for all the help!