what would be the best display for gaming

lag_is_awsome_

There isn't a single "best display" for gaming since everyone has different preferences. You want to have a cinematic experience and the games you play don't depend much on reaction time? Then you want to have a high resolution monitor (1440p or 4K). You play games like first person shooter where reaction time is really important? You want to have a high refresh rate monitor (144Hz or more). But having a high refresh rate in cinematic games or having a high resolution in reaction time based games is also nice.

It all comes down to personal preference. The sweet spot in my opinion is a 1440p 144Hz display but you have to check if your PC is powerful enough FPS at this resolution.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

The current sweet-spot is 1440p 144Hz 27" for your average gaming monitor. And in this bracket some of the best options are the MSI MAG274QRF-QD, the LG 27GN850 or the Dell S2721DGF.

For highly competitive gaming something 1080p with a higher refresh rate like 240/280/360Hz would be a better choice. A popular choice for people who don't care about picture quality and want the best competitive advantage possible is the BenQ Zowie XL2546. A 360Hz option with still impressive image quality would be the Asus PG259QN.

The "best" overall gaming monitor you can probably buy in the next few years would probably be something like the Asus PG32UQX, which is not released yet and will cost around $3500. This is pretty much as "non-compromise" as any gaming monitor will get in the next few years. 32" 4K 144Hz HDR1400 with a miniLED backlight and every feature you would want.

This will give you a rough overview of the market...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

The "best" overall gaming monitor you can probably buy in the next few years would probably be something like the Asus PG32UQX, which is not released yet and will cost around $3500. This is pretty much as "non-compromise" as any gaming monitor will get in the next few years. 32" 4K 144Hz HDR1400 with a miniLED backlight and every feature you would want.

i would think the G9 takes this crown

1440p240 UW, pretty much ticks all the boxes except 4K

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i would think the G9 takes this crown

1440p240 UW, pretty much ticks all the boxes except 4K

Hmmm. The whole "crown" thing is very subjective imo. For me a 32:9 monitor with a 1000R curve wouldn't even get into closer consideration. Tried the G7 with the same curve and it's just too extreme. Also the G9 has a very bad 10-zone backlight and is imo not even remotely deserving of a HDR1000 certification. The PG32UQX is much closer to the perfect gaming monitor with proper 1152 zone backlighting for HDR imo.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.