Question abt running two graphics cards?

DanielWM
Go to solution Solved by DanielWM,

So since the SLI wouldnt work would it still be worth getting a second card on it bc im getting a good deal? would it still boost my system a little bit without SLI i guess?

Oh I should have read other answers before this thank you!

So I am currently running a msi 2080 super ventus and a friend of myn has offered to give me his msi 2080 super ventus trio fan and my original  one is a duo. Is it possible to run them both with the link across the graphics cards(sorry don't know what its called just started to kinda inform my self more abt pc's). They are both the same main model i would think other than one is made to have better cooling build in right? just wondering if it would work to dual link them?

Thank you.

Technically?  You can probably link them and run both.

Is it worth it?  Not really, very very little actually supports SLI (Scan Line Interleave) today, so it's generally a waste of effort to set it up. 

It's called SLI, and it's dead. It's not going to do anything for you for gaming. However, you can install them both and mine on them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

5 minutes ago, DanielWM said:

So I am currently running a msi 2080 super ventus and a friend of myn has offered to give me his msi 2080 super ventus trio fan and my original  one is a duo. Is it possible to run them both with the link across the graphics cards(sorry don't know what its called just started to kinda inform my self more abt pc's). They are both the same main model i would think other than one is made to have better cooling build in right? just wondering if it would work to dual link them?

Thank you.

Yes, you will be able to run them. You can mix and match graphics card manufacturers even, just as long as the card itself is the same model. Meaning two RTX 2080 Supers can be matched together regardless which brand they are. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The connection you're talking about is SLI and yes, since they're both  2080 Super's, with the correct spacing between the cards and the proper SLI bridge you'd have to buy, you could run them in SLI.

Concerns:

• Power. Do you have adequate power for two 2080 Supers?
  • Cooling. 
  • Game compatibility. In 2021, SLI is all but dead outside of like 12 games and new games are no longer being made with SLI support. One thing you need to understand is this isn't going to magically make every game run twice as fast. In some it may even hurt performance until you disable a card. 

Another thing worth mentioning is you could just sell one and make a pretty hefty profit....

2 minutes ago, DanielWM said:

Thank you.

i think you could if they are close to the same speed you can still run both card not i SLI and say use one for your main monitor and  the other for your other monitor and or obs if you stream or record 

KanyeWestLover911
Reminder

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

I Use Arch BTW

my PCs 

these are my Pcs 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mtj08/saved/

So since the SLI wouldnt work would it still be worth getting a second card on it bc im getting a good deal? would it still boost my system a little bit without SLI i guess?

Oh I should have read other answers before this thank you!

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

Technically?  You can probably link them and run both.

Is it worth it?  Not really, very very little actually supports SLI (Scan Line Interleave) today, so it's generally a waste of effort to set it up. 

FWIW, its Scalable Link Interface but i'm just being picky 😋

Just now, DanielWM said:

No

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

FWIW, its Scalable Link Interface but i'm just being picky 😋

It's been both.  I forgot NVidia rebranded the acronym at some point.

You have some good friends if they're willing to give you a 2080 Super. 

3 minutes ago, DanielWM said:

If someone is giving you a 2080 Super right now with the GPU market where it is, this must be a REALLY good friend or he's completely oblivious to the market right now. He could fetch $700-800 USD or more for one of those right now used on Ebay.

You will likely only have more problems than you want, especially since you're not familiar with SLI and the extra knowledge needed to take advantage of it. Its not a plug and play extra performance type of thing. You need to be aware of what games do and do not have SLI profiles and realize you might need to disable one card when moving between games.

TBH if this guy isn't a good friend, take the card and sell it.

2 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

It's called SLI, and it's dead. It's not going to do anything for you for gaming. However, you can install them both and mine on them.

2 hours ago, rickeo said:
  • Game compatibility. In 2021, SLI is all but dead outside of like 12 games and new games are no longer being made with SLI support. One thing you need to understand is this isn't going to magically make every game run twice as fast. In some it may even hurt performance until you disable a card. 

This is not true at all. SLI still works exactly the same as it always did on 20 Series and older cards. Nvidia has only stopped adding support for new games as of 2021. Any SLI games that came out before that will still work.

To quote Nvidia directly:

"Existing SLI driver profiles will continue to be tested and maintained for SLI-ready RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs."

59 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

This is not true at all. SLI still works exactly the same as it always did on 20 Series and older cards. Nvidia has only stopped adding support for new games as of 2021. Any SLI games that came out before that will still work.

To quote Nvidia directly:

"Existing SLI driver profiles will continue to be tested and maintained for SLI-ready RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs."

Yeah, all like 9 that support it. Dead is dead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse