A few questions about my new drive

Digideath

Sorry to keep bothering people. I'm trying to figure out what's what before my new drive comes. I only started playing around with nvme ssd's 6 months ago. I'm still a bit sketchy about the basics.

My motherboard is a msi mpg b550 gaming edge wifi.

I already have a 2tb sabrant rocket pci-e gen 4 ssd plugged into the main nvme slot. My os, epic games, ubisoft, origin etc are on there.

I've just bought a 1tb western digital black sn750 pci-e gen 3 ssd. I'm putting it in the second nvme port. It's intended for my steam collection.

So I was reading my motherboard manual. It says my second nvme port is run off the chipset and that it is pci-e gen 3. That's why I bought a gen 3 drive for it.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the new drive will run at its rated speeds?

Also, the drive I've bought doesnt have a heatsink and where it's going on the motherboard, there is no heatsink. Will this affect performance? Will it overheat and throttle? 

Would it be worth getting a heatsink for it? I can get my hands on ekwb nvme heatsinks for about £15 from overclockers.uk.

Sorry for all the questions lol

if it needed a heatsink it would have come with one..

For games I have a intel 660P which is not a great SSD but it loads games just as fast as my expensive samsung 980 Pro. I cannot tell the difference between them in gaming.

3 minutes ago, Mling said:

if it needed a heatsink it would have come with one..

That's the thing. It tech does. There's 2 different versions of the drive. One with and one without a heatsink. I didnt know this at the time and I got the one without a heatsink on a special offer. From the reviews I've watched the one with a heatsink is 10c cooler. The one without (the one I ordered) can hit 73c under heavy loads.

That's why I'm looking at this.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-m.2-nvme-heatsink-red-hs-009-ek.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvYSEBhDjARIsAJMn0liOBdzg-cqcDOeEfIGg5kfdLc10fdwHhoJ8BfVqufRYVxKZG1fmAcIaAu-REALw_wcB

On 4/22/2021 at 10:30 PM, Digideath said:

That's the thing. It tech does. There's 2 different versions of the drive. One with and one without a heatsink. I didnt know this at the time and I got the one without a heatsink on a special offer. From the reviews I've watched the one with a heatsink is 10c cooler. The one without (the one I ordered) can hit 73c under heavy loads.

That's why I'm looking at this.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-m.2-nvme-heatsink-red-hs-009-ek.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvYSEBhDjARIsAJMn0liOBdzg-cqcDOeEfIGg5kfdLc10fdwHhoJ8BfVqufRYVxKZG1fmAcIaAu-REALw_wcB

if you think you need a heatsink look on aliexpress. You should be able to find one for a dollar.