Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Damaged motherboard traces, but "fixed"

So I bought this motherboard about 4 months ago and declared it dead when I put it all together and the motherboard wouldn't boot past the DRAM stage, I though something was seriously wrong and I couldn't RMA it. I bought a much cheaper motherboard that wouldn't let me overclock my cpu at all and I lived with it for bit and just got over it. Then I just wanted to look at the board. I noticed it looked the there was a scratch right next to the RAM slots, so I remember fixing some old DDR3 ram by using a pencil and just coating the top of some traces and it fixed them so I did it to this board and now it's just revived.  I'm not sure how long it will last, and I'm wondering if there are any effects I should worry about by doing this. Anybody know? Or does graphite on a trace permanently fix it? Oh yeah there was also a missing pin but I think it was a dummy pin.IMG_20210422_013200.thumb.jpg.5ccc778957411c444ddd85e0367a1557.jpg

I honestly wouldn't put much faith into it since those squiggly traces are length matched, impedance matched and spaced to maximize signal integrity/timing and minimize noise radiated from them. I honestly have no clue as to what effect graphite plays on all that as I have never looked at graphite as a conductor. 

I highly doubt graphite could be used as a permanent fix but as long as you're not doing anything mission critical with it and you follow good backup practices you'll probably be okay using it as is.

TL;DR YOLO

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

It won't last forever, and forget any xmp probably, but it's better than nothing if you can't use a probe point and a wire to jumper over the damage. (With solder ofc)

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.                                     This is not financial advice. I am not a financial advisor. I am not tiable for what you do

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler