CPU for 1440p/4k Gaming

victor6946

Budget: Around $3500-$4000 (located in US)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: This will be only for gaming. Really looking to "future proof" for the next ~5 years. Looking at 1440p 144hz multiplayer gaming / 4k 60hz single player gaming.

My main question is, what CPU/MOBO is best for my needs? What would you get for a system like this? Do I just say eff it and go for top of the line? Does that really make a big difference for 1440p/4k?

uhhhh......

At 4K budget?  Ryzen 5900x, tweaked TF out.

Find an MSRP RTX 3090

Call it a day.  

1 minute ago, victor6946 said:

what CPU/MOBO is best for my needs?

Something with a strong IPC and not too much core and fast clock speed. Something like Ryzen 9 5900X or Core i9-10850K with a top tier B550/X570 or Z490 board.

2 minutes ago, victor6946 said:

What would you get for a system like this?

At 3.5-4k, adequate cooling, good peripherals and fast storage.

3 minutes ago, victor6946 said:

Does that really make a big difference for 1440p/4k?

Strong GPU is more nessesary at 1440p to 4K.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Something with a strong IPC and not too much core and fast clock speed. Something like Ryzen 9 5900X or Core i9-10850K with a top tier B550/X570 or Z490 board.

At 3.5-4k, adequate cooling, good peripherals and fast storage.

Strong GPU is more nessesary at 1440p to 4K.

Would there be a major difference (just for gaming) between a 5900x or 10850k? Just because it seems easier to find the intel CPU in stock as compared to the ryzen cpu.

1 minute ago, victor6946 said:

Just because it seems easier to find the intel CPU in stock as compared to the ryzen cpu.

Frankly thats the sole reason i put it in there. FoxLaugh2.png.5ddc4ecaba8b5ac870c70c95caa32809.png

Both trails in gaming performance but productivity is a massive W for AMD.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

36 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Frankly thats the sole reason i put it in there. FoxLaugh2.png.5ddc4ecaba8b5ac870c70c95caa32809.png

Both trails in gaming performance but productivity is a massive W for AMD.

How does something like this look? 

Just ignore storage for now, just tossed 2 random things in, will be revisiting that in the morning. Of course I'm missing GPU, still trying to figure out what/where to get it from.

3 hours ago, victor6946 said:

Besides changing to a more breathable case, you pretty much nail it to the head. Cases i would recommend in this price point with better airflow would be 4000/5000DX from Corsair, H500P Mesh from Cooler Master, or Lancool 2 Mesh by Lian Li (or PC-O11D if youre not going to put it on the floor)

depending on the GPU you are trying to get the 850W PSU may not be enough.

Especially the 3090 is known to have extreme power spikes that even tripped the overcurrent protection on some 1000W PSU´s.

if you get a 6900XT the 850W would be enough and its barely slower then a 3090 in the majority of games.