Evga X58 Mobo (Pcie slots not working?)

Rhys_Butcher

I bought this Mobo today, the guy said it didnt display but the board powers on fully it shows all the lights etc except for the Debug LED display witch doesn't display any fault codes and doesn't light up.  I put a graphics card in it to see if it would display anything as this Mobo doesn't have onboard display output, but nothing the fan on the G card doesnt even spin.

The Mobo has 12 gigs of  G-skill ram. with a Intel I7 920.

The power supply I am using is a Corsair CX 600 W that I know works perfectly.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It probably doesn't actually power on fully. Power is reaching the LEDs on the mobo, but that is about it. I assume you have slotted it into each PCIe slot right? unless this is mini-ITX. 

Even a GPU going through the chipset uplink is better than no display at all. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

3 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

It probably doesn't actually power on fully. Power is reaching the LEDs on the mobo, but that is about it. I assume you have slotted it into each PCIe slot right? unless this is mini-ITX. 

Even a GPU going through the chipset uplink is better than no display at all. 

Yeah I tried all 3 Pcie lanes still nothing, chipset uplink never heard the term ?

I would just really like to get this Mobo working in any way possible.

17 hours ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

Yeah I tried all 3 Pcie lanes still nothing, chipset uplink never heard the term ?

I would just really like to get this Mobo working in any way possible.

Okay, lanes are not the same as slots. A x16 slot typically has 16 lanes going to it, but sometimes it can be just 4 lanes. It is a multiplier of bandwidth. A GPU can run off of a single lane, but the best is a full 16 lanes in a x16 slot. For example, I have worked with motherboards where the top slot was 16 lanes of PCIe gen 3, the second x16 slot was only 8 gen 3 lanes, and the bottom x16 slot was only 8 gen 2 lanes, the equivalent of 4 gen 3 lanes, or a common NVMe drive. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

17 hours ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

Chipset uplink never heard the term ?

Normally in motherboards (IDK about X58, haven't worked with X series boards that are that old) the top slot, sometimes two slots, are connected directly to the CPU with nothing in between. A common distribution is 20 lanes to be distributed among the top 2 x16 slots and a M.2 (M-key) slot. You can populate the M.2 slot and use all 4 lanes, and if you have 1 GPU, it gets all the remaining PCIe lanes, but if you have two GPUs, the top slot gets 8, and the bottom slot gets 8. 

But ATX boards tend to have more than 2 PCIe slot, sometimes a second or third M.2 slot, and they all have a bunch of SATA ports. But how do they communicate with the CPU then? Well first they all connect to the chipset (you know the thing under the heatsink in the bottom right hand quadrant of the mobo) Stuff that typically connects to the chipset include

• all SATA ports,
  • nearly all USB ports (actually all on old chipsets like X58 IIRC),
  • all the expansion slots beneath the top two x16 slots,
  • all x1 slots,
  • onboard internet, 
  • and the audio chip

But then, the CPU doesn't actually have 20 PCIe lanes available, it actually has 24, but the last 4 are always reserved as a connection path to the chipset called the uplink. If you fill up every SATA port and every expansion slot, you will 100% notice a decrease in speed of these devices if they are nearly all under load, because the combined throughput of every device should be exceeding the bandwidth cap of the chipset uplink. This is a bottleneck. This is the reason you may hear people that are mad that you connected a GPU to the bottom slot, because GPU's are huge bandwidth hogs and will begin to choke out other devices if they share the uplink's bandwidth. 

I have personally experienced this problem troubleshooting another user's on this forum's Wi-Fi issues. His Wi-Fi would just drop signal and disconnect when playing games. I asked for a picture of his setup, and it turned out he had a hardlined 1080 Ti connected via a riser to the bottom PCIe slot on his X470 motherboard. He card would work best connected to a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, but the x16 slot he was connecting to was actually PCIe 2.0 x4, or 1/8th the bandwidth. He also had a high speed Wi-Fi PCIe adaptor card connected to an x1 slot.When the GPU was under load (i.e. gaming), it would choke out SATA, USB, and other PCIe devices and causes delays as it put the GPU's data earlier in the queue, sometimes these delays were so great that it would cause huge very inconsistent ping in-game, packet loss, and sometimes even a very temporary USB mouse or keyboard disconnect. 

The solution? He bought a longer riser cable and attached it to the top PCIe x16 slot. He wasn't choked for bandwidth anymore, and his wi-fi problems were gone. He still had USB issues, but that may have been an on-going bug with AMD's AGESA. 

OK thanks for the info dude I really didn't know all that and I have now been educated and I really appreciate it.

So is there any way I can connect the GPU Without connecting it to a PCIe slot. ? cause the bottom one doesn't even work.

I know that Linus in one of his vids was able to use a mining GPU to game but due to it being a mining GPU it doesn't have any display so  he passed it through the motherboards onboard display.

Now that being said I know my Motherboard doesn't have Onboard Display. But the GPU does . Is there any way to use the GPU without using a PCIE slot.?

Thanks again for all the help and Information.