PC is waking up by itself

llubbo

Hello

I am going crazy from my computer because it is waking up from sleep whenever it wants. Sometimes after 5 mins sometimes after 5 hours. I had this problem before, so I made fresh install of Windows, and fresh install all programs, but it is still doing the same. It was ok so little time after reinstall, but here we are again. I tried disconnecting all usb peripherals, but not helping. Any ideas how to get info what is waking up my PC?

I will be som much thankful for everyhelp

Try going into your motherboard's BIOS and modify the following settings:

Wake-On-LAN (WOL) -> off

USB power when PC powered off / sleep -> off

Power state after powerloss -> Powered off

(NOTE: your motherboard might not have some of these settings or they might have sligthly different names)

If the settings above don't help you might want to try to turn off Windows' "Fast Startup" as well, but this will impact the time it takes to boot into Windows.

Let me know if that works!

About me [ Linux Engineer | Community Admin | Automation Fanatic | Digital Media Hoarder | All-Round Tech Lover ]

PC [ Custom | 5800X | RTX 3080 | 32GB | 2x 1TB NVMe | 5120 x 1440 @ 120 | Win10 Pro ]
Laptop [ HP Elitebook 1040 G4 | i7-7500U | 16GB | 512GB NVMe | 1080p @ 120 | ElementaryOS ]
Server [ HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1265L | Quadro P1000 | 16GB ECC | 2x 3TB + 2x 8TB HDD | UNRAID ]

Do you have any windows updates available? Apparently Windows wakes up computers from sleep when it wants to install updates, at least it does on my systems. Not sure if there is any way to prevent Windows from doing that except either installing or disabling updates, so I just let them install and restart my computers, and then they sleep just fine. 

34 minutes ago, Ezel said:

Try going into your motherboard's BIOS and modify the following settings:

Wake-On-LAN (WOL) -> off

USB power when PC powered off / sleep -> off

Power state after powerloss -> Powered off

(NOTE: your motherboard might not have some of these settings or they might have sligthly different names)

If the settings above don't help you might want to try to turn off Windows' "Fast Startup" as well, but this will impact the time it takes to boot into Windows.

Let me know if that works!

I cant go to the bios now, I am in the middle of the work, but I will try and let you know definitely. I have to leave my pc in sleep and I will see. About startup, I dont care about how fast it is starting, I am just putting my pc to sleep 😄 😄

23 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Do you have any windows updates available? Apparently Windows wakes up computers from sleep when it wants to install updates, at least it does on my systems. Not sure if there is any way to prevent Windows from doing that except either installing or disabling updates, so I just let them install and restart my computers, and then they sleep just fine. 

That is interesting, it can be. because sometime it is waking up sometime not... I will have eye on that. But yesterday I had update...I am going to google it little bit...