Am I being ripped Off? Seriously, I need help.

I am looking to go to grad school in the next 3 years (6.5 Year program). I am also a regular gamer. I have been looking to build a computer and have a very difficult time as I am not tech savvy when it comes to hardware. I need this to be upgrad-able in the following years (adding more Ram etc..) and last at least 5 years as a gaming computer,  10 years as a regular work computer. I contacted a business near by and informed them of my budget ($2,000). And everything I just said. They sent over the following information for the computer they are saying they can build for me. But my spider sense is tingling like I'm being ripped off for the cash I am willing to drop. My thoughts are in bold:

Intel OCTA Core i9 8C/16T Processor 5.0 Ghz Turbo (No generation given here. He also stated that 5.0 Ghz was base speed and 'not overclocking' even though it says Turbo)

Intel chipset socket LGA 1151  (...i know of sockets and chipsets and how their related to the CPU/motherboard but...no clue if this is a good one in relation to upgrading CPU/motherboard at a later date if I want to)

(2) 32 GB DDR4 PC4 ram 2666 Mhz 64 GB total (Originally I stated I want a 32 gig single stick ram. I know it would be best to have 2  16GB but I want to be able to add more within the next month and don't want to have to by two 32 sticks to get to the max 128 i'm looking at, and just discard two 16s. Also the speed 2666 Mhz seems really slow in comparison, and on the phone he said one 32GB.)

High Performance Serial Sata III / 6GB/s Controller  (SATA III? That's older isn't it? I thought it was SATA or NVMe?)

GTX 1080i  Graphic Card 8GB DDR5 Ram  (Wtf is this graphics card: GTX 1080i? he said this over the phone as well.  I know of  GTX1080 and GTX1080Ti but wtf is 1080i? Does that even exist? Tried googling it, came up nothing)

1 TB EVO Plus NVMe  Solid State Hard Drive  (NVMe...but Sata III listed above?)

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

ATX Mid Tower Case with 600 Watt Bronze 80+ PSU (What is 80+ PSU?)

USB 3.0 Ports - 1 UBS 3.1 Type C - 1 HDMI Port

I have no idea what a graphics card GTX 1080i is. I also see that he has SATA III (which to my knowledge is an older version) but he is also putting in NVMe SSD.  Another computer I have has a  GTX 1080 graphics card and i have 2 monitors hooked from there. This says 1HDMI port? is that just the tower? What is the 80+PSU in the tower/Watts section?  And realistically is this worth 2 grand?

Now this IS  a legitimate business with employees, building, sign etc.. across the street from best buy, and not just someone offering to build a computer off of craigslist or something. See the attached file with this post, if it uploaded correctly. It's basically the information listed above, not necessarily needed to view. 

Is it worth 2 grand? What would you guys recommend? What would you want to change that still is within budget? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Itemized List Again.jpg

Don't spend $2000 on an LGA1151 CPU, a GTX 1080, and 32GB of 2666 MT/s RAM. It doesn't specify the exact motherboard, exact CPU, or exact PSU model.

Why?
- LGA1151 is almost 2 generations old

- 2666 MT/s RAM is quite slow by today's standards. 3000-3200 MT/s RAM is the bare minimum most of the time, and 3600+ MT/s is "faster".

- There is no GTX 1080i. There is a GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti, though, and both are 2 generations old now. They are capable cards, but I wouldn't spend $2000 on a PC with one.

- Any company can make a PSU that's extremely efficient but is still capable of exploding and killing the rest if your system. Plus (pun intended) an 80+ Bronze PSU isn't that great to begin with, let alone pairing it with a 1080 and Core i9 9th gen.

- Motherboard quality varies WILDLY from manufacturer to manufacturer, and chipset to chipset.

I'd recommend asking people (other than myself) help you create a parts list, and then pay someone to build it for you (if you aren't comfortable building it yourself).

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

I'd recommend asking people (other than myself) help you create a parts list, and then pay someone to build it for you (if you aren't comfortable building it yourself).

Or just buy a prebuilt with better value if you think it's not worth the hassle

Intel chipset socket LGA 1151  (...i know of sockets and chipsets and how their related to the CPU/motherboard but...no clue if this is a good one in relation to upgrading CPU/motherboard at a later date if I want to)

So the problem with this socket is that intel now uses an diferent socket so if they use the best i9 u can get for the old socket you basicly cant upgrade. So for better upgradbylity i would go with amd. (im from germany so sorry for the bad englisch)

I would call that a rip-off. I've put together a better price to preformance build in around 5 minutes even with the insane prices of GPU's. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NikoBellii/saved/#view=K47dHx Check out my list and maybe wait for some more replies as I am certainly not the best at this but I know something. And let me tell you, that part list is a extreme rip-off.

(2) 32 GB DDR4 PC4 ram 2666 Mhz 64 GB total (Originally I stated I want a 32 gig single stick ram. I know it would be best to have 2  16GB but I want to be able to add more within the next month and don't want to have to by two 32 sticks to get to the max 128 i'm looking at, and just discard two 16s. Also the speed 2666 Mhz seems really slow in comparison, and on the phone he said one 32GB. Now the itemized list suddenly says 2)

I would use two 16gb sticks because on an higher end board you normaly have four ram slots

10 minutes ago, LotusGirl23 said:

I am looking to go to grad school in the next 3 years (6.5 Year program). I am also a regular gamer. I have been looking to build a computer and have a very difficult time as I am not tech savvy when it comes to hardware. I need this to be upgrad-able in the following years (adding more Ram etc..) and last at least 5 years as a gaming computer,  10 years as a regular work computer. I contacted a business near by and informed them of my budget ($2,000). And everything I just said. They sent over the following information for the computer they are saying they can build for me. But my spider sense is tingling like I'm being ripped off for the cash I am willing to drop. My thoughts are in bold:

Intel OCTA Core i9 8C/16T Processor 5.0 Ghz Turbo (No generation given here. He also stated that 5.0 Ghz was base speed and 'not overclocking' even though it says Turbo)

(2) 32 GB DDR4 PC4 ram 2666 Mhz 64 GB total (Originally I stated I want a 32 gig single stick ram. I know it would be best to have 2  16GB but I want to be able to add more within the next month and don't want to have to by two 32 sticks to get to the max 128 i'm looking at, and just discard two 16s. Also the speed 2666 Mhz seems really slow in comparison, and on the phone he said one 32GB.)

High Performance Serial Sata III / 6GB/s Controller  (SATA III? That's older isn't it? I thought it was SATA or NVMe?)

GTX 1080i  Graphic Card 8GB DDR5 Ram  (Wtf is this graphics card: GTX 1080i? he said this over the phone as well.  I know of  GTX1080 and GTX1080Ti but wtf is 1080i? Does that even exist? Tried googling it, came up nothing)

1 TB EVO Plus NVMe  Solid State Hard Drive  (NVMe...but Sata III listed above?)

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

USB 3.0 Ports - 1 UBS 3.1 Type C - 1 HDMI Port

I have no idea what a graphics card GTX 1080i is. I also see that he has SATA III (which to my knowledge is an older version) but he is also putting in NVMe SSD.  Another computer I have has a  GTX 1080 graphics card and i have 2 monitors hooked from there. This says 1HDMI port? is that just the tower? What is the 80+PSU in the tower/Watts section?  And realistically is this worth 2 grand?

Now this IS  a legitimate business with employees, building, sign etc.. across the street from best buy, and not just someone offering to build a computer off of craigslist or something. See the attached file with this post, if it uploaded correctly. It's basically the information listed above, not necessarily needed to view. 

Is it worth 2 grand? What would you guys recommend? What would you want to change that still is within budget? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Itemized List.pdf 83.74 kB · 6 downloads

You're pretty much getting ripped off.  CPU is okay. Motherboard isn't specified, it can be the cheapest and worst one. RAM is too slow. The graphics card is too old, I never would spend 2k on a 1080 which is like 3-4 years old. 

Btw, we still can read your real address and name when we copy it, replace the file asap and blur it out with photoshop or something because someone could use your data for malicious things.

This is a bit of a loaded question (not a problem) so I'll try to hit everything that I can, but to make it easy, yes you're being ripped off.

First: A Core i9 on the LGA1151 socket would be the 9900k. This CPU has been succeeded by both the 10900k and 11900k, of which both are less than competitive against their AMD counterparts.

Second: 2666mhz RAM in a $2000 system isn't great. Being that it's an Intel system it's not detrimental, but again, not something I'd be comfortable with.

Third: The GTX 1080i doesn't exist. If they don't know the difference between a 1080 and 1080Ti they have no businesses building PC's (not to mention that either card is fairly outdated now, though still good).

Fourth: The 80+ rating for the PSU denotes it's efficiency. In this case you have an 80+ Bronze certified PSU. Not great. Not to mention they don't even tell you the model. I would assume they cheaped out on the PSU. A common trend of companies like this.

Not sure why they listed a SATA III controller. To your correction, SATA III is indeed the latest SATA interface, but there's no reason for them to list that as it's completely standard. And since you're using a NVME drive it doesn't much matter anyways. NVME is a separate interface from SATA. It's the FORM FACTOR that can appear identical (M.2 SATA and M.2 NVME).

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

26 minutes ago, LotusGirl23 said:
Intel OCTA Core i9 8C/16T 
Intel chipset socket LGA 1151

Probably an i9 9900 or a 9900KF/9900K

The i9 9900 cannot be overclocked.

2666 Mhz

The cheap stuff

SATA III? That's older isn't it? I thought it was SATA or NVMe?

That's just something that comes with almost every motherboard made in the past decade.

GTX 1080i  Graphic Card 8GB DDR5 Ram

A 5 years old graphics card,i hope nobody mined on it,and that it's not DOA.

NVMe...but Sata III listed above?

SATA III is the interface controller on the motherboard.

An unkown case,and an unknown power supply,could be a fire hazard.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I want to thank everyone that helped me from making a huge mistake. I knew something was wrong with this computer offer.  Thank you all.

2 hours ago, NikoBellii said:

I've put together a better price to preformance build in around 5 minutes even with the insane prices of GPU's. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NikoBellii/saved/#view=K47dHx Check out my list

The link apparently does not work. It says I don't have access.

I am so thankful!

If anyone else has a recommendations on specific hardwares and GPU/motherboard/CPU, I appreciate your input. If not, no worries. I'm just happy I didn't drop $2k on a BS computer.

Me

Sadly it is not really a ripoff. Current gpu pricing and availability are such that a GTX 1080 is selling for around US$1,000 and a GTX 1080 To for around US$1,800. Not that I would buy the quoted system from that vendor. As others have pointed out it has other problems.

This is not the time to be buying a gaming system. If you must get something for daily work, consider an i7-10700K or i7-11700K system. Use the igpu until you can get a decent gpu at a reasonable price.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 hours ago, LotusGirl23 said:

I want to thank everyone that helped me from making a huge mistake. I knew something was wrong with this computer offer.  Thank you all.

The link apparently does not work. It says I don't have access.

I am so thankful!

If anyone else has a recommendations on specific hardwares and GPU/motherboard/CPU, I appreciate your input. If not, no worries. I'm just happy I didn't drop $2k on a BS computer.

Me

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali473/p/N82E16883360058?IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

10 hours ago, brob said:

Sadly it is not really a ripoff. Current gpu pricing and availability are such that a GTX 1080 is selling for around US$1,000 and a GTX 1080 To for around US$1,800. Not that I would buy the quoted system from that vendor. As others have pointed out it has other problems.

This is not the time to be buying a gaming system. If you must get something for daily work, consider an i7-10700K or i7-11700K system. Use the igpu until you can get a decent gpu at a reasonable price.

That is a ripoff with current pricing.

I can find a build similar to this one for 1000-1200 dollars it is absolutely a giant ripoff.

5 hours ago, Cheburek said:

That is a ripoff with current pricing.

I can find a build similar to this one for 1000-1200 dollars it is absolutely a giant ripoff.

Link? Is it a new build? Is it in stock?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Yeahhh don't give them your money. Buy a prebuilt from somewhere like HP, or a built to order from a larger company like Cyberpower. You can get much better prices for newer hardware, and GPUs are decently priced.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB