PC Gaming on a TV

gemini4517

Hello, I am starting to finally use my gaming pc more now as I have finally gotten rid of my PS4 to go all out PC master race. However, I am having issues with Call of Duty. I am playing COD on a 49.5' LG 50UK6300PUE. 3840x2160pixels, 50hz / 60hz Refresh rate, and my pc is running on a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6GB (VR-Ready) GPU. I had no issues playing League of Legends and World of Warcraft this way for years (not as demanding of games but still), but for some reason, COD is just awful, play is very choppy and pixelated, textures are not smooth. I have tried messing around with the graphics settings but I really have not gotten anywhere unfortunately. Any ideas or suggestions would be great! I have also just added another SSD which I have just for Call of Duty games as well. 

IMG_4893.jpg

you should switch the resolution to 1080p if you haven't already, 4k is way to demanding for a gtx1060 imo

4k COD with 6 GB of GDDR5, that is probably your issue: You have too little VRAM. You need to have low quality textures, and OC the thing, then maybe it could be better. Whenever a card starts to reach the full capacity of the VRAM, there are always very clear stutters and frame drops as the card attempts to avoid overflow. This is because an overflow usually can cause the game or even the PC to crash. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

7 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

4k COD with 6 GB of GDDR5, that is probably your issue: You have too little VRAM. You need to have low quality textures, and OC the thing, then maybe it could be better. Whenever a card starts to reach the full capacity of the VRAM, there are always very clear stutters and frame drops as the card attempts to avoid overflow. This is because an overflow usually can cause the game or even the PC to crash. 

Yes I noticed the VRAM was always above the recommended max line even if I tried to tweak the settings

7 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

you should switch the resolution to 1080p if you haven't already, 4k is way to demanding for a gtx1060 imo

I’ll check and see if I’m able to adjust that in the settings. I didn’t think about that. What gpu would you recommend if I decided to go that route and replace it?

7 hours ago, GravityHurts said:

A 1060 is going to struggle run cod at 4k.

What gpu would you recommend?

For 4k gaming at 60hz u should be aiming for at least a 3060ti with an OC, ideally at least a 3070.

4k is still right at the cutting edge hardware. Sure some older less demanding games can run on slower hardware, like even a 1080ti, but the average modern game at max settings and 4k will require some serious power.

Sure you can lower graphics options, but u do that AFTER lowering resolution, not before.

For example if a game has 5 preset graphics profiles: Low, medium, High, Very High, Ultra, You want to be running 'Very High', or 'Ultra'. Dropping lower will result in fidelity impacts more so than lowering resolution.

Example of performance.

Spoiler

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/gqbML2Q2yVQwbYPBsv8gHR-1900-80.png

If you aiming for 60hz/fps gameplay at 4k, u want to average above 60. Hence a 3060ti at least.

The 9 games are: Borderlands 3, Division 2, FarCry 5, FFXIV, Forza 4, Metro Exodus, RDR 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Strange Brigade.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Yeah the more and more I research and get input I do believe I need to upgrade my gpu, but fat chance I’ll find one, well at a good price rather