Power concerns for a tiny NAS

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Id get a powersupply with a fan. I see no reason to go fanless here. The fans are basically silent and make the system run much cooler. And those drives are gonna be pretty loud anyways, so the extra fan noise won't matter

240w is more than enough for 4 drives.

What 80gb ssd is way to expensive unles syour getting it cheap somewhere.

I’m building a home server for files and projects. I do graphic design work and a little video work, and would rather have a larger solution than a handful of 1tb external drives. As a fun challenge, I’m also building this in the Streacom DB4 fanless case (yes, that fanless case). I’ll post the parts list below, but my main concern is the power supply Streacom wants me to get, and how many hdd it can support. 

The ZF240 is the suggested passive cooled power supply. There might be better Micro-ITX compatible power supplies, but given the case is fanless the hot air would stay trapped in the case instead of radiated out. PcPartPicker says that the 4 WD Red Pro drives add 20w each, but WD’s own documentation says the average watt cost is around 6-8w. Do hdd really cost 20w each? Without the drives, PcPP says my total parts cost 120w without the drives, and I can’t add 80w if it’s true. I could cut back the number of drives, or make it a really sick Minecraft server. I just don’t want to buy 4 hdd’s if I can’t use all them. Thank you!

Parts list: 

Id get a powersupply with a fan. I see no reason to go fanless here. The fans are basically silent and make the system run much cooler. And those drives are gonna be pretty loud anyways, so the extra fan noise won't matter

20 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Excellent, thanks

The HDDs are the loudest part of my NAS.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

is there a specific reason why you want to go for that Xeon CPU when even an i3 10100 would be faster and cheaper?

also it doesnt really make much sense to spend so much money just so the system is fan less because the loudest part will be the HDD´s vibrating so you could also easily get a much cheaper case and just add Noctua fans with the low noise adapter.