Upgrading NAS Questions

paps511
Go to solution Solved by PorkishPig,
28 minutes ago, paps511 said:

14tb Exos drives are very attractive right now, but I don't want to have to buy 5 of them all at once. If I just add a 14tb drive, it will only use 6tb of the capacity to not mess up the raid array. I get this, but if over time I upgrade all the drives to 14tb, how would I tell the raid to use 14tb per drive and not just 6tb?

Your NAS will automatically adjust capacity to reflect the smallest drive in the array.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSMUC/help/DSMUC/StorageManager/storage_pool_expand_replace_disk

Second question, the Synology 1821+ uses ECC ram. Is it required to use ECC ram? or can I skimp out on non-ecc ram? I am basically using it as a plex and home backup server, so nothing is mission critical to actually need ecc ram.

You can use either non-ECC or ECC SODIMM modules with the 1821+. You may see a slight performance improvement if you go non-ECC.

Hello All,

I currently have a Synology 1815+ with 5 6tb drives and an ssd cache. I'm running Synologies Hybrid raid with 1 disc redundancy and I need to expand my storage.

14tb Exos drives are very attractive right now, but I don't want to have to buy 5 of them all at once. If I just add a 14tb drive, it will only use 6tb of the capacity to not mess up the raid array. I get this, but if over time I upgrade all the drives to 14tb, how would I tell the raid to use 14tb per drive and not just 6tb?

Second question, the Synology 1821+ uses ECC ram. Is it required to use ECC ram? or can I skimp out on non-ecc ram? I am basically using it as a plex and home backup server, so nothing is mission critical to actually need ecc ram.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

I like your pc, however I think you should try and get a new gpu. As of your question I don’t believe using ECC Ram will make a difference of will you care.

1 minute ago, MeatSink said:

I like your pc, however I think you should try and get a new gpu. As of your question I don’t believe using ECC Ram will make a difference of will you care.

I'd love to get a new GPU, but... uh... *gestures broadly*. 

I know I don't need ECC ram, but I was wondering if there was some hardware/software level requirement to run ecc and if it would be mad about non-ecc ram.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

2 minutes ago, paps511 said:

I'd love to get a new GPU, but... uh... *gestures broadly*. 

I know I don't need ECC ram, but I was wondering if there was some hardware/software level requirement to run ecc and if it would be mad about non-ecc ram.

As far as ECC vs non ECC ram, I have no clue. 

For the expansion, would it be easier to get something like the DX517 and add more 6tb drives as you go?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Your NAS will automatically adjust capacity to reflect the smallest drive in the array.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSMUC/help/DSMUC/StorageManager/storage_pool_expand_replace_disk

You can use either non-ECC or ECC SODIMM modules with the 1821+. You may see a slight performance improvement if you go non-ECC.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)