How to start a 10GB Network

Dogslovefood68

I've wanted to start up  a home 10GB,but I've have not found any good videos explaining what you need to start one.So What do I need to start one up.

Edit:I forgot to add that my budget is 5000 dollars  

Edited by Dogslovefood68

Depends how many clients you need at 10Gbit, it can get quite expensive.  A cheaper option is to go 2.5Gbit or multi-speed where some ports are Gigabit, some 2.5Gbit, some 5Gbit and a couple of 10Gbit for where its needed such as a NAS feeding everything else.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 minutes ago, Dogslovefood68 said:

I've wanted to start up  a home 10GB,but I've have not found any good videos explaining what you need to start one.So What do I need to start one up.

Because there's nothing to do other than buy network card(s) that support 10 Gbps, a switch that supports it and Cat 6 or Cat 7 cables. Not much sense making a video about that.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Linus made a wonderful explainer to it, but imo i do agree with most people's sentiment here. Only use 10 gigabit for your backbones stuff (NAS, high priority devices, switches), and you usually can get away with 2.5gbps unless you do a lot of random I/O tasks.

And another guide/reviews that i found:

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Definitely watch the videos. 

But essentially you need:

- 10gbe Network Cards (NICS) for any computers. 

- 10gbe Switch to connect the computers together.

- Cat 6/6a cables or above to support the speed. 

You can go with either RJ45 ethernet or SPF. Ethernet cables are cheaper, but NIC's and switches are more expensive. SPF is the reverse. 

Usually the cheapest option is to look on sites like eBay for decommissioned server and enterprise equipment. 

I wanted to use RJ45 so I use the following. 

NIC's: Intel X550-T1 and T2 NIC's. Both PCIe and purchased off eBay. Also use a QNAP QNA-UC5G1T, which is a 5gbe USB-C to ethernet adapter. 

Switch: Netgear XS508M. This is connected to a 5gbe port on my router (Netgear RAX120). 

It can be expensive to make the jump. As many have recommended before, it is often more reasonable (cheaper and good enough speed) for most users to jump to either 2.5gb or 5gb networking. 

Hope this gives you a few ideas to get you on your way. 

What's your budget? There's expensive and inexpensive ways of getting into 10Gig networking.