Samsung 970 Pro performing worse than my old 850 EVO Sata SSD?

Felipe Viduani

Since I've changed from sata to nvme on my Windows install, I haven't really noticed a performance gain, rather sometimes it seem slower. Samsung Magician shows unrealistic results but honestly they might as well be true because it sure feels like they are.

My Specs are:

MSi Z97 Gaming 7 (4th Gen Intel)

Intel i7 4790K (Overclocked to 4.7Ghz)

4x8 GB 2200Mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengeance

Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD (installed on my second PCI-E slot, working in it's full(?) Gen 3 x 4 Speed.

Also the temperatures are getting way too high on usage - around 48C (it's just not so high on this screenshot)

970ProDetails.thumb.png.ea21952c2cae34fdc1d2d21c1c32374d.png

DriveComparison.thumb.png.5531c418dfea2afd0d7c31a78610713b.png

Looks like that 850 evo has rapid mode on, basically uses ram caching to make benchmakrs faster. Id turn rapid off as it can cause data loss.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Looks like that 850 evo has rapid mode on, basically uses ram caching to make benchmakrs faster. Id turn rapid off as it can cause data loss.

Really? I had no idea! This is specially important because I use that drive for data storage! Upon searching a little bit it seem more like a disadvantage for me to have it enabled on my 850 EVO. Thanks, bud!

9 minutes ago, Felipe Viduani said:

Also the temperatures are getting way too high on usage - around 48C (it's just not so high on this screenshot)

Seems fairly normal to me. Tests say the SSD starts to throttle around 80°C. The reported speed looks to be within the norm as well.

Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB Review

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Seems fairly normal to me. Tests say the SSD starts to throttle around 80°C. The reported speed looks to be within the norm as well.

Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB Review

I see! So it's safe to leave it as is?

Just now, Felipe Viduani said:

I see! So it's safe to leave it as is?

Yeah, 48°C is nothing to worry about under load. If you want to, you could always add a small heat sink (if it doesn't have one already) or try to provide a bit more airflow with additional fans, but it should be fine as is.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

10 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yeah, 48°C is nothing to worry about under load. If you want to, you could always add a small heat sink (if it doesn't have one already) or try to provide a bit more airflow with additional fans, but it should be fine as is.

I see. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...