Used artic cleaning solution to clean CPU socket

lsanpedro

Hi, I decided to clean thermal paste stuck on the CPU socket pins of my motherboard. I decided to use artic clean over isopropyl alcohol. I was wondering if I made a mistake cleaning it with artic clean cleaning solution instead of isopropyl alcohol? Will it damage the mother board?

probably fine?

But how the hell do you end up with thermal paste UNDER your CPU?

Those pins are extremely delicate. The concern here isn't what solution you use, if the method of using it since you can easily ruin that board by touching those pins incorrectly. 

29 minutes ago, lsanpedro said:

Hi, I decided to clean thermal paste stuck on the CPU socket pins of my motherboard. I decided to use artic clean over isopropyl alcohol. I was wondering if I made a mistake cleaning it with artic clean cleaning solution instead of isopropyl alcohol? Will it damage the mother board?

17 minutes ago, tkitch said:

probably fine?

But how the hell do you end up with thermal paste UNDER your CPU?

I was cleaning paste off the CPU with the wipes provided by noctua and managed to wipe thermal paste residue down a gap . I was planning to upgrade the CPU so took it off and somehow, some of the thermal paste managed to find its way on three of the pins. I removed most of it with a plastic toothpick and the ones I couldn't with the cleaning solution. I don't even know either but I'm dumb like that

It would have been fine to use that way. Anyways, make sure to rinse it off generous amounts of 99% IPA.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Those pins are extremely delicate. The concern here isn't what solution you use, if the method of using it since you can easily ruin that board by touching those pins incorrectly. 

I removed most of it with a plastic toothpick. None of the pins are bent. With the artic cleaning solution, I used a cotton swab to absorb the resulting mixture. I am now leaving it to dry

-> Moved to Cooling

Its pretty much same stuff in more over-engineered form. What I find funny is that they advertise it as "non-toxic" and when you look closer, only thing making it non-toxic is that you won't die if you happen to drink it. Still considered toxic and irritative.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Cooling

Its pretty much same stuff in more over-engineered form. What I find funny is that they advertise it as "non-toxic" and when you look closer, only thing making it non-toxic is that you won't die if you happen to drink it. Still considered toxic and irritative.

I regret buying a dedicated cleaner but managed to remove all residual paste thanks to it. Thanks for the info :)). It's good to know that I haven't messed up the mobo as have sold it.