one of the RAM sticks not working

Flokikz77

Hello guys, i just build a pc for a friend and he bought it 2 sticks 8Gb of ram Gskill trident z royal gold.

It was supposed to have 16gb but when i installed Windows 10 i noticed was only 8Gb on task manager one of them is probably defective, then i try only with one stick at a time and with the "bad" stick the PC did not boot but the RGB from the stick still working if was something wrong with that stick the RGB still work ?

PC specs: 

Have you tried to reseat the defective RAM stick??? I had an issue where one stick of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro was showing LEDs, yet was not showing up in task manager. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

Have you tried to reseat the defective RAM stick??? I had an issue where one stick of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro was showing LEDs, yet was not showing up in task manager. 

yes i did twice 

2 minutes ago, Flokikz77 said:

yes i did twice 

If you already tried swapping the RAM sticks, but kept the working stick out and leave the defective one in DIMMA2, then I suspect the RAM to be defective. Did you try with a different kit just to rule out its not the DIMM slots (the motherboard) are not bad? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

If you already tried swapping the RAM sticks, but kept the working stick out and leave the defective one in DIMMA2, then I suspect the RAM to be defective. Did you try with a different kit just to rule out its not the DIMM slots (the motherboard) are not bad? 

what i did was try both sticks at the same slot but only one at time, and with one of them did not work 

1 minute ago, Flokikz77 said:

what i did was try both sticks at the same slot but only one at time, and with one of them did not work 

Then for sure, sounds like a faulty RAM kit. 

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Then for sure, sounds like a faulty RAM kit. 

yes most likey is faulty, i was surprised that RGB still work i saw other guys with faulty RAMs and RGB also did not work 

Just now, Flokikz77 said:

yes most likey is faulty, i was surprised that RGB still work i saw other guys with faulty RAMs and RGB also did not work 

That's pretty strange, but it can be a different pin/circuit where the RGB lighting works fine but then the rest of it doesn't work perhaps?? 

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

That's pretty strange, but it can be a different pin/circuit where the RGB lighting works fine but then the rest of it doesn't work perhaps?? 

yeah maybe yes, my friend have to talk with the guys from RMA to see what they will say about it.