New PC, games look indredibly blurry/washed out

SamHF

I'm going insane. Last week my 980ti died and my motherboard died too. I built a new system Tuesday and put in my very old 750ti.

However after installing my drivers etc whenever I play a game it just looks awful. Everything looks washed out and indredibly blurry, it's hard for me to describe what I mean but here is a picture.

The image doesn't look as bad as what I see. How do I fix this? I checked NVIDIA control panel and everything is default besides Vsync is off.

https://imgur.com/CMIoe5a

The links are not fully copypasted

I edit my posts more often than not

<-- Moved to Troubleshooting -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Try a screen shot, not a cell phone picture

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

5 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Try a screen shot, not a cell phone picture

https://imgur.com/CMIoe5a

I don't understand why. I'm worried because I've tried pretty much everything to fix this, is it because it's an old GPU and isn't up to par with the 980ti I had the luxury of using?

It's hard to say. The image you posted looks like the graphics are really low quality, and that would be somewhat expected. The 980 Ti you used to have is roughly 4 times as powerful as the 750 Ti you're driving now and has 3 times as much VRAM. That's pretty huge, and a lot bigger difference in experience than what the model numbers might suggest. What you're seeing may simply be the best this card can actually do.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

15 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

It's hard to say. The image you posted looks like the graphics are really low quality, and that would be somewhat expected. The 980 Ti you used to have is roughly 4 times as powerful as the 750 Ti you're driving now and has 3 times as much VRAM. That's pretty huge, and a lot bigger difference in experience than what the model numbers might suggest. What you're seeing may simply be the best this card can actually do.

I've used the 980ti for over 5 years. I was forced to buy a new system and forced to use my 6+ year old 750ti due to the c urrent situtation with stock of new cards.

You think it's really just the lack in performance from the GPU because I've been spoilt by the 980ti? I really hope this is the issue rather than something else.

Also I think when I type into Google the text seems slighlty OFF too if that helps, i think so at least i think my brain is melting at this point

Looking at the screen shot, becuase you can't tell from the cell phone photo, it looks like your in game's internal renderer is running at a low resolution. Does rocket league have a render scale slider? 

Start changing graphics settings in the game and find out what's going on. A good place to start is to set the game to your monitors resolution, then individually crank sliders to see what they do. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

3 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Looking at the screen shot, becuase you can't tell from the cell phone photo, it looks like your in game's internal renderer is running at a low resolution. Does rocket league have a render scale slider? 

Start changing graphics settings in the game and find out what's going on. A good place to start is to set the game to your monitors resolution, then individually crank sliders to see what they do. 

I've tried multiple games. Res has been native and changed all in-game settings. Even league of legends, the graphics looks very blurred.

My games are at native always, even windows display is native at 144hz.

1 minute ago, SamHF said:

I've tried multiple games. Res has been native and changed all in-game settings. Even league of legends, the graphics looks very blurred.

My games are at native always, even windows display is native at 144hz.

30 minutes ago, SamHF said:

Also I think when I type into Google the text seems slighlty OFF too if that helps, i think so at least i think my brain is melting at this point

So games are way different but desktop is slightly different? Maybe take a screenshot of the text.

What is your native resolution? Your screenshot is at 1792x816. What port on the GPU are you using? Is it the same cable and monitor/port you were using earlier? Any other important things like HDR?

And I guess try DDU.

3 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

So games are way different but desktop is slightly different? Maybe take a screenshot of the text.

What is your native resolution? Your screenshot is at 1792x816. What port on the GPU are you using? Is it the same cable and monitor/port you were using earlier? Any other important things like HDR?

And I guess try DDU.

Screenshot is cropped. It's a new system don't have the tools I used to use to screenshot like my old system.

1920x1080 is my native res at 144hz. I'm using the lower DVI port, I even tried the one above nothing changed.

NVIDIA is all default besides digital vibrance and Vsync OFF.

F12 is screenshot via Steam

1 hour ago, SamHF said:

Screenshot is cropped. It's a new system don't have the tools I used to use to screenshot like my old system.

1920x1080 is my native res at 144hz. I'm using the lower DVI port, I even tried the one above nothing changed.

NVIDIA is all default besides digital vibrance and Vsync OFF.

Are you using the same port on the same monitor?

Is it the same cable?

Maybe it's somehow stuck on analog or single link?

m5Ktn.png

What does the ports on the monitor/gpu and the cable look like?

Maybe take a picture of settings, system, display, advanced display settings?

11 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

Are you using the same port on the same monitor?

Is it the same cable?

Maybe it's somehow stuck on analog or single link?

m5Ktn.png

What does the ports on the monitor/gpu and the cable look like?

Maybe take a picture of settings, system, display, advanced display settings?

The 4th image is the cable I'm using and plugged into the correct GPU slot and monitor slot.

I've gone over and messed with all settings within display advanced etc, nothing did anything unfortunately.

Display is native 144hz. (recommended)>

image.png.1464f6c571e2c20f17a07487a37f294e.png

17 hours ago, SamHF said:

The 4th image is the cable I'm using and plugged into the correct GPU slot and monitor slot.

I've gone over and messed with all settings within display advanced etc, nothing did anything unfortunately.

Display is native 144hz. (recommended)>

image.png.1464f6c571e2c20f17a07487a37f294e.png

Does the game look fine in windowed mode? If so, maybe try going to the Nvidia control panel, color settings, enhancements, content type, desktop programs.

I don't think that would fix chrome, though. Are you sure it isn't placebo?

22 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

Does the game look fine in windowed mode? If so, maybe try going to the Nvidia control panel, color settings, enhancements, content type, desktop programs.

I don't think that would fix chrome, though. Are you sure it isn't placebo?

I've noticed something else too. Windows text looks very pixelated, I don;t know if it's related. I used ClearType and still messed up.

https://imgur.com/a/1U11zeH

Up the sharpness setting on your monitor.

20 minutes ago, girafx said:

Up the sharpness setting on your monitor.

It's on 5. anything less or more looks terrible.

4 hours ago, SamHF said:

I've noticed something else too. Windows text looks very pixelated, I don;t know if it's related. I used ClearType and still messed up.

https://imgur.com/a/1U11zeH

This doesn't look like cleartype is on to me. Have you restarted since turning it (back?) on?

3 hours ago, SamHF said:

What am I supposed to be seeing here? BTW cleartype doesn't seem to affect this screen on my laptop.

11 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

This doesn't look like cleartype is on to me. Have you restarted since turning it (back?) on?

What am I supposed to be seeing here? BTW cleartype doesn't seem to affect this screen on my laptop.

ClearType is on. I re-configured it multiple times aswell as restarting the PC 5 times.

Everytime I click a different option the text blurs briefly, doesn't look smooth. Slow the video down and watch the text.

4 hours ago, SamHF said:

Everytime I click a different option the text blurs briefly, doesn't look smooth. Slow the video down and watch the text.

It looks pretty normal to me. Holding down left click shrinks the text a little.

Was this windows install new or did you use your old drive? Are you using the same cable and monitor?

Also 

9 hours ago, Craftyawesome said: