WARNING! ASUS TUF GAMING x570-PRO (WIFI) - INTEL NIC NOT WORKING PROPERLY

Hello everyone,

i felt the need to inform and warn you about the ASUS TUF GAMING x570-PRO (WIFI) and probably in extend about the INTEL i255-V NIC.

I Specifically baught this because of the 2.5gbps LAN adapter. When it arrived i was pretty happy, and installed all my components.

Naturally the first thing you do is download a bunch of stuff, including games to test drive your new rig.

There i noticed steam downloading only at around 25MB/s, and as i have a 1Gbit connection it should be more like 110MB/s (as it was on my old PC).

So i started digging and found that there were problems with this intel lan chip with earlier revisions (1 and 2) but that it should be fine, because i have REV3.

After tons of reading and testing, i decided to get a replacement from amazon and hoped that it would remedy the problem.

Sadly it didnt. Same excact problem. 

I got in touch with the (german) ASUS customer support, but nothing new there. Even after several attempts and trying to explain that i am myself from the IT Industry and knew what i was talking about, i only got to the first layer of support, where its only the same suggestions over and over again. I couldnt reach anyone with a little bit insight into this.

Of course i tried all their suggestions to fix the problem, including cmos reset, new drivers, old drivers, and even spend the time to reinstall the first mb and did the same thing there.

I even went out of my way and bought a new CAT7 LAN cable, altough the old one was fine on the other rigs in my house.

Some of you might say, maybe my ISP is to blame for slow data speeds, but that i excluded with testing the same cable on my other pc, right after the speedtest, and i got fullspeed.

i even get fullspeed when i use the integrated wifi6 adapter.

When i observe my LAN adapter in Taskmanager i can see it spiking at the beginning of the test to around 800mbit, and then sharply decline and settling in on around 250mbit. 

I can never surpass this speed with the LAN adapter, no matter what time, or driver, or cable i use. 

So i think, the "FIX" on REV3 for the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V is BS!

It may have "fixed" the slow 20mbit that others where reporting earlier, but its seemingly not fixed for people with fast internet connections.

Maybe someone has the same mb and can confirm my findings? 

Maybe LTT can test this and warn customers if this shows to be true for others as well.

I am very disappointed in the ASUS Support and in this product. You all probably know the feeling when your new parts arrive and you want to assemble it and testrun it. 

The feeling when its DOA or not working correctly is pretty shitty.

And for 285 USD this is not acceptable. 

And the icing on the cake is, that after the mainboard swap,

my win10 license expired. THANKS INTEL/ASUS!

So much hassle with a brand new PC, i am so pissed right now.

It seems i'm not alone with this, 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-Network-I225-V-Nework-issue-persist-even-after-FW-upgrade/m-p/1246060/highlight/true?profile.language=en

I'll probably wait till monday to see if there are any replies, but then go ahead and order a different one.

For full clarity here is my PC Setup:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive   
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

LAN ENABLED / WLAN DISABLED

LAN.PNG.9d478867d9776e805ef15ac15433d9ec.PNG

WLAN ENABLED / LAN DISABLED

WLAN.PNG.5d506791dd3912ede38e8bc7ce55f37c.PNG

You may try what was suggested here, otherwise I see that users have discovered a hardware fault in the stepping of the chip so RMA is the way if anything fails.

thank you for your answer. 

sadly i tried all this stuff allready and it didnt help.

You just have to phone Microsoft to reactivate it. It is an automated call that will give you a code to enter on your device.

Under Activation tab in Settings there should be a 'Resolve Problems' or something like that button.

i thought so much, but i'll try to wait until the mb stuff is resolved, so i dont have to do it again

• 4 weeks later...

Same for me on ASUS X570 Pro WIFI with Intel I225-V. It even locks up my whole PC if I am uploading big files to Google Drive (100GB+) and I have to hard reset my PC. On Steam, download speed is around 20-30MB/s with Gigabit connection.

Solved it by getting a TRENDnet PCIe card (uses Realtek 2.5G chipset) from Amazon. Steam downloads are now around 80-90MB/s.