Is it normal for PSU ttansformer to buzz on 220V ac?

dani.petro

Hello 

Is it normal for psu transformer to buzz when pc is on high load? My mains is @220V 

psu is Antec EAG Gold 750W (Seasonic Focus GM)

I have a Ryzen 3600+x570+1660s+8,8gb ram+1hd+2ssd+2x200mmfan+3x120mm+1xaio and 2x argb led strip.

If it's a loud and noticeable buzzing it's not normal. If you only hear it when you put your ear close to it I wouldn't worry.

I assume the PSU you're using is rated for 220V isn't it? (for example it's not a US import)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

8 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I assume the PSU you're using is rated for 220V isn't it? (for example it's not a US import)

There are no PSUs that aren't rated for 220V, however there are PSUs that rated ONLY for 220V but they're not sold in US and Antec EAG Gold isn't one of them.

As of OP's question, well it depends on how loud the buzz is, if it's very loud, even at idle i'd think that there's something wrong either with the PSU (maybe it isn't a coil whine but failed fan bearing or they've forgot to put a putty on conductors inside at the factory) or your mains (high electrical noise).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just coil whine...? Do you have a recording of the sound?

10 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You could look up the PSU, and find that it's obviously full range...? And PSUs are either full range (100-240V), or they only support e.g. 200-240V. There aren't PSUs that only support 120V.

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

You could look up the PSU, and find that it's obviously full range...?

Indeed I could. However, the information in question can be found even more easily by OP by simply looking at the label on their PSU, or if their setup means it's not easily visible, they can google it themselves.

Guidance provided on this forum is from ordinary people in their free time, and often those ordinary people would prefer not to spend that time on a Google-hunt.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

7 hours ago, Juular said:

There are no PSUs that aren't rated for 220V, however there are PSUs that rated ONLY for 220V but they're not sold in US and Antec EAG Gold isn't one of them.

As of OP's question, well it depends on how loud the buzz is, if it's very loud, even at idle i'd think that there's something wrong either with the PSU (maybe it isn't a coil whine but failed fan bearing or they've forgot to put a putty on conductors inside at the factory) or your mains (high electrical noise).

The sound can be heard after long gaming session if I go behind the cabinet. On idle I have to put my ear on the psu to hear it.

The sound is coming from the transformer area and can be coil whine. 

Saw an article by @jonnyGURU explaining this. Also on full load the fan spins up so it maybe fan bearing noise also like you said.

13 hours ago, dani.petro said:

The sound can be heard after long gaming session if I go behind the cabinet. On idle I have to put my ear on the psu to hear it.

Then that's normal.