R5 5600X - Graphics card pairing?

mactipiak

Hi guys,

I decided too buy the config refresh I was hoping to do since last year.

Current:

i5 2500

16GB DDR3 2133

GTX970

Waiting for my order to be delivered:

R5 5600X

16GB DDR4 3600 CL16

...GTX970.

I can't resort myself to spending 1400+ Euros in a 3070

I failed at the first wave of VAG program.

I just saw a 500€ 2060...

...But does it make sense?

It sure is a bump ahead from the 970 (Gamers Nexus 970 revisit earlier this year was super interesting)

But it's of course dragging so far behind a 3070 nearly for the FE MSRP

My options are:

- 3070 VAG

- 3070 Ti FE MSRP

- 2060 for 500

- Keep that 970 until apocaaaalyspe

- 500 € in a 1660?! No way!

- For "in stock", it's 800 € for a 3060 😭

- AMD options seems inexistant

What would you pair with the 5600X considering I'll probably keep that setup for 5 years or so...

Edited by mactipiak
Updating the title as the discussion is moving away from the 2060. Original title: 5600X - Does a 2060 makes sense vs a GTX970.

Id wait and try to get a better one.

its really not worth it, and not enough of a upgrade to justify 500$

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, mactipiak said:

Hi guys,

I decided too buy the config refresh I was hoping to do since last year.

Current:

i5 2500

16GB DDR3 2133

GTX970

Waiting for my order to be delivered:

R5 5600X

16GB DDR4 3600 CL16

...GTX970.

I can't resort myself to spending 1400+ Euros in a 3070

I failed at the first wave of VAG program.

I just saw a 500€ 2060...

...But does it make sense?

It sure is a bump ahead from the 970 (Gamers Nexus 970 revisit earlier this year was super interesting)

But it's of course dragging so far behind a 3070 nearly for the FE MSRP

My options are:

- 3070 VAG

- 3070 Ti FE MSRP

- 2060 for 500

- Keep that 970 until apocaaaalyspe

- 500 € in a 1660?! No way!

- For "in stock", it's 800 € for a 3060 😭

- AMD options seems inexistant

What would you pair with the 5600X considering I'll probably keep that setup for 5 years or so...

I hope you factored in an appropriate replacement motherboard to this equation...

The other thing is that many forget that an RTX2060 is a huge leap from a GTX970, so as long as a 2060 will do what you want, ""why not"?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

I hope you factored in an appropriate replacement motherboard to this equation...

Hey Eighjan,

New mobo (going x470 with bios update) , new power supply (Focus 750W gold replacing an aging OCZ 600), new cooler (Liquid Freezer II 240), new nvme storage (Crucial P1).

I was just cutting to the juicy bits 😉 

As a GTX 970 owner myself it's not worth it to pick up a 970 now. 2060 isn't super great compared to 3000 series but its much better than a 970. You may want to consider another upgrade when parts are more readily available and you have the budget for it. 3000 series is waaaaaay better than 2000 and anything before 2000 series imo isn't worth it in 2021.

1 minute ago, mactipiak said:

an aging OCZ 600

My OCZ ZT750 is still running fine, but understands your plight.  🙂

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

4 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

As a GTX 970 owner myself it's not worth it to pick up a 970 now. 2060 isn't super great compared to 3000 series but its much better than a 970. You may want to consider another upgrade when parts are more readily available and you have the budget for it.

Thank you fellow GTX970 owner, I guess we'll have to wait... 💀 I suppose Cyberpunk 2077 will be less "futuristic" in 2047 😄 (jk, it should run when I get the 5600X)

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

My OCZ ZT750 is still running fine, but understands your plight.  🙂

I have little complain about my ModXstream, apart from cable length for nicely managed runs, and the 'ketchup and mustard in nylon tights" look 😄 Also 600 wouldn't cut it in a world with 3070s. But I like that brand, and Antec cases, I have a thing for fallen giants it seems 😄

11 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

its really not worth it, and not enough of a upgrade to justify 500$

Thanks for your opinion.

I guess it's the better choice, I aadded myself to the queue system on EVGA 2 weeks ago, but some people still complain about early orders not sorted yet. I don't seem myself being lucky enough to get and FE (if any!) on the Ti release...

I could have gotten an alienware prebuilt in terms of price at this stage, but power supply, SSDs, RAM, cooling probably would have been mower spec, alright, emptying that 2060 baasket.

Just now, mactipiak said:

I have little complain about my ModXstream, apart from cable length for nicely managed runs, and the 'ketchup and mustard in nylon tights" look 😄 Also 600 wouldn't cut it in a world with 3070s. But I like that brand, and Antec cases, I have a thing for fallen giants it seems 😄

Sadly, OCZ seem to have 'gone the way of all flesh'; when I can get "unprocrastinated" (my word - sue me), I'm swapping my rig into a Meshify C with a Corsair RM750.

WHY NOT...?!

3 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Sadly, OCZ seem to have 'gone the way of all flesh'; when I can get "unprocrastinated" (my word - sue me), I'm swapping my rig into a Meshify C with a Corsair RM750.

I spent some time on the PSU tier list and actually got a decent deal on the Focus Seasonic Focus GX 80 Plus Gold PSU, modu… | CASEKING.de 

All the others PSUs in that price range were Tier D or lower.

Sorry of the off topic (on my own thread...)

25 minutes ago, mactipiak said:

Thanks for your opinion.

I guess it's the better choice, I aadded myself to the queue system on EVGA 2 weeks ago, but some people still complain about early orders not sorted yet. I don't seem myself being lucky enough to get and FE (if any!) on the Ti release...

Id also go to a microcenter/whatever else once in a while, you wouldnt have to worry about bots with a store.

also trying to get one at VAG drops.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

24 hours later, still a good chunk of confusion on this topic.

Looking again at all the benchmarks I find on the last waves of GPU releases, while the 2060 is definitely a bump in performance, I'll still lag waaaaay behind my original play (Getting a 3070)

Those are out of the question at the current prices (I love LTT, but I doubt I'd be in luck for the VAG stock)

I see more and more 6700XT, at horrendous-ish prices ; 800 EUR.

But that's the price of a 3060, non Ti!

12GB of Ram, DLSS-equivalent feature on the horizon (FidelidityFX? Can't recall the name)

With the PS5 and Xbox series on similar GPUs, I'm starting to think this might be a compelling option...

5600X - 6700XT pairing opinions?

I would rather overpay for new hardware than overpay for old hardware.

That said the prices for these 6700XTs are highway robbery.

Try to score a reference 6800/6800XT if you can. Check AMD Store, they stock from time to time.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I would rather overpay for new hardware than overpay for old hardware.

That said the prices for these 6700XTs are highway robbery.

Try to score a reference 6800/6800XT if you can. Check AMD Store, they stock from time to time.

Hey Mister Woof,

Thanks, that's a brilliant idea, I nearly had given up on the AMD website thinking it was the same as nVidia.

It's just crazy to be ready to fork 800 EUR on a 6700XT when that's more than the European 6800XT price 2 tiers up and half way through the 6900XT. 😮

Seems like AMD's store is down for me (maybe a collateral damage of the midnight black news, damn, I should have focused on this during lunchbreak!)

I'll give it more time, though I got the DHL notification that my order for the other components is now prepped, so I'm tempted to click the buy button again for a modern day GPU. 

Anyway, thanks for the great advice there!