Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

You have to check out Neutriks latest step into the esports market. What are they doing? What makes them special? Do we really need high end professional connectors for gaming?

Neutrik is market leader in professional AV production connectors, and now they entered esports as a market.

See this for reference:

https://neutrik-group.webflow.io/products

I'd love to see a video comparing the new Mous backpack to the LTT backpack. Both seem to be marketed towards the same type of people.

WAN content suggestion

I'd love a follow up on The Escapist/Second Wind story. 

Possibly with a call in from Yahtzee or Nick Calandra. 

Felt like there were questions left unanswered due to how recent the events were, which now have more definite answers now the madness of launching a whole new company in a few days is mostly over. 

I find the events genuinely interesting, seeing a team take control over their own content and not having to meet the demands of a corporation that was seemingly out of touch with their fanbase.

There's a good crossover of interests between fans of the two channels and since Second Wind don't make any videos similar to GameLinked, almost no chance of cannibalising your own viewership. 

Being a brand new business and channel, I'm sure they'd also benefit from the exposure to the LTT fanbase.

Seems like a win/win scenario for LTT, Second Wind, and viewers. 

competition of who can take 2-3 aliexpress/China branded laptops and combine them to make a super laptop. Also making sure it can run an OS. 

With the ai pin badge from humain ai and all the ai's can we get a ai timeline

Water-cooling a PC using a urinal. Set it up with a flapper or other mechanical trigger to set off the urinal IR sensor when temps get above a certain threshold.

I currently have a fever and may be especially dumb at the moment.

Id love to see a video going over all of the under-desk treadmills. They are a huge trend I'm seeing pick up and I'd love to get one myself. I would also love to see someone on the team trying to use them for a week or so and see what they think. Maybe pick 5 and use a different one every day of the week?

I am an avid ROG Ally user and I’m concerned about reports of games like COD shadow banning players using common features of handhelds like the Steamdeck, Ally, and Legion Go. I’d love to see a video about why this happens, and how to reduce the risk of triggering a false positive.

Something in the vein of $hit Manufactures say or something that can be part of a larger video.

I'm looking at replacing my Garmin watch with a new one as the battery life is running thin. I prefer Garmin watches as they are more about fitness and less about trying to be a tiny phone.  I noticed one of the features on the new Venu 3 is Gaming Activity and GameOn™. This appears to be something that a number of their newer higher end watches have and the marketing around it is totally out to lunch. Of note this is only supported on their higher end watches ~$300+ USD!

"The Garmin GameOn™ application enables any player who wants to "win more" by leveraging the biometrics from their compatible Garmin® watch in order to up their game. Amplify your chances of winning by learning what your optimal stress zone is during play, getting feedback on when it is a good time to chill and when to grind on, and seeing your body's response to stress live in a head-up display (HUD). After opening the activity on your watch and pairing with your computer, compatible games can start the activity timer on your watch and mark key events of your gaming experience. Analysis of your physiological metrics will prompt tips and guidance for better game play."

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=wNX0W22UWW09zmFhS46Kn9

It's a desktop app that generates an overlay that you can pair to your watch to get a live view of you biometrics. It all sounds like gamer athlete nonsense to me but could be fun having staff play some games and see what their heartrate does?

Marketing Youtube video for extra cringe 🙂

Hi guys!

I recently decided to build my own PC. I bought some used components and finish building it last week. My worst fear happened and the PC didn't boot at all. I used forums and reddit to build it but I don't think it was enough knowledge to do so.

I was thinking if I can ship it to you guys and take a look to see what I did wrong.

This could work as "why building your PC is not always the best idea" 

I put a 7900XTX in there and I'm super afraid that I fried it somehow.

Thanks guys!

Yooo Please do a colab with some racing youtubers that are struggling to do their own in house pay per view.

The main channel is Cleetus McFarland but he posted this to his second channel following one of their biggest shows of the year.

I could easily see cleet being excited about you fixing his situation, exposing both of your viewers to each other, and scaring some nerds in a race car.

TL/DR: I bought a third party Airpods Pro charger on Amazon, and I have STRONG reason to believe it has actually hacked my Airpods/executed unknown malicious code on them, it has hacked the serial number of my lost case (I did not pair the case, I have only been charging my Airpods with it) making it no longer appear in my items list, and Apple reports the serial number for my case is one that has been warranty replaced over 30 times and has been marked as fraud and blacklisted. Furthermore Apple can no longer see the warranty replacement they did for the Airpods or that I ever had Airpods Pro 2’s, and the phone number on my Apple account was changed. I have 3rd party verification enabled. It has made me wonder if cheap third party parts from China are actually hacking devices making equipment less secure. I would like to send you guys my third party case as well as my genuine airpods to fully test it, and as well you guys could test various other third party knock off/cheap products to see if they are actually hacking devices.

Long Version: I bought Airpods Pro 2’s from Verizon last December. Back in August, they had to be warranty replaced at the Apple Store for battery issues. The next month, someone stole my case. I wasn’t able to afford a genuine apple replacement at that time but needed my Airpods, so I decided to purchase a cheap third party case from Amazon until I could afford the genuine part from Apple. I did NOT pair the case to my pods or phone, and have only used it to charge the airpods. Earlier this month I could finally afford it, went to the Apple Store to purchase the replacement, and when asked to confirm my phone number, was told the one on file was some number I had never heard before (hadn’t even heard of that Area Code before). I didn’t think too much of it at the time, corrected the wrong number, and waited my turn for a genius. When they finally came, I was denied service (like literally Apple refused to SELL me a replacement case. I didn’t ask for any kind of warranty replacement. I wanted to give them money and they refused). They explained that the serial number of the Airpods I gave them had been replaced over 30 times, and Apple had marked it as “do not service “ for fraud/suspicious activity, and as such no parts or service was purchasable.

I was obviously really confused. I had only gotten my AirPods replaced once with warranty. That’s when I realized that it might be the serial number for the case. I talked with another genius, and we were able to piece together some weird things on my account: my Airpods Pro 2 had completely disappeared from my account and they had no record of me ever owning them much less having had a warranty replacement (I still have devices from over 10 years ago in my device list, how does something just disappear like that?) though my case still shows in Find My as stolen/lost. Additionally the number on my account had been changed around the time I bought the aftermarket case. Apple was also unable to search for the serial numbers for each individual AirPod (though if this is a glitch/part of my problem or system limitation I do not know).

Since that revelation, I have been doing some limited investigation of my own. What I have found troubles me greatly. Airpods update through being connected to their case. They are computationally quite complex, and there is a LOT of code going on in their operation. They are considered secure because no one can wirelessly hijack the airpods, and as with most hacks these days a hacker requires physical access to the device to input any malicious code… but replacing the case is granting physical access. Airpods listen to our most intimate conversations. They are a rich target for a malicious actor. China (not hate mongering, being quite literal) has been launching targeted personal attacks against ordinary citizens from several western countries. Just like with a malicious thumb drive, keyboard, or other usb based device, to give access to the airpods software kernel through physical contact gives a hacker complete access. Malicious hackers have been selling devices designed to be a trap against those who buy them for years. What if cheap replacement parts/third party knockoffs are actually spying? Anecdotally I have had several things come up recently that make me feel as though I am being listened to, and I have had a dramatic uptick in 3rd party authenticators trying to ask me to confirm a sign in attempt I had nothing to do with.

I think there is a really interesting potential story/international incident waiting to happen here. Have we been paying the price for cheap knock off replacements, not by bad quality and dangerous batteries, but by having our data scraped by malicious parts? And PAYING to be hacked no less by having to but the offending products?

i would like to send you guys the case I bought, as well as my Airpods, so you can investigate!

I love seeing stupidly over the top stuff. My suggestion is that you make a keyboard that doesn't require the use of a shift, alt, fn key (also maybe ctrl). Everything has its own button. Imagine how crazy big that would be.

Hey! I have one major problem with my tech, and its that im tired of carrying around several devices for several things when I'm out and about, and sure, any one given device usually has 95% of what I need, even if it isn't quite up to the exact standards that I might want. With the release of the new oled steam deck I started to think about how cool it would be if I could have an all in one device, something capable of gaming (and not just phone games), a fully functioning portable computer with the ability to also act as my main phone. I found this SIM8200EA-M2 5G HAT for Raspberry Pi, 5G/4G/3G Support, Snapdragon X55, Multi Mode Multi Band while searching for ways this might be done. As far as I can tell this product has the ability to turn a raspberry pi into a device capable of accessing the lte network. Imagine how cool it would be to get a text message on your steam deck or to be able to make a call all while on the go with a powerful gaming rig! Its not exactly something practical and even thinking about the amount of work involved gives me a headache, but its not something I've seen from anyone else and I think it would be such a unique and fun project. Anyway, thanks for your time hope you have a wonderful day

Hi, i was electrocuted by my ps5 thru normal use, bad enough that ive had 3 days of headaches, a metal taste in my mouth, disorientation, pain from my palm up my forearm bicep and shoulder. 

looking into the matter i found many people complaining about getting shocked by their console as well as news stories about EVO 2023 where the usb ports melted. I expanded my search and found lots of complaints about the ps5 usb ports, including someone in Europe that tested his and his son’s usb ports and found 90- 110v, when his pc usb ports had millivolts coming out. 

all i know is my console electrocuted me and 1 was using iy 100% properly. if you look up ps5 shocked me or ps5 usb melted etc, you’ll find something 

ill send you my ps5 free im afraid to use it, this seems like a dangerous under reported issue, if this was Xbox,  nvidia or a Samsung phone, people would be up in arms, but somehow PlayStation has this public good faith and following that completely ignores that they’re a giant company that’s selling 50 million units of something and might save pennies and buy cheaper usb parts to save money and have people put at “ acceptable risk”. 

I kinda feel like im yelling into the wind on this, just like all the people that reported constantly getting shocked by their ps5s and everyone i read was told “ it’s fine, you’re just really static”. Ive had a million static shocks, I know for certain this wasn’t like them, ive also never had a static shock leave a dark circle and red swelling as well as hand spasms that have improved but not passed. 

IMG_2670.jpeg

(Bundle review idea for thin and lights)

I have been interested in the laptop series on short circuit for a while, seeing every video as they have come out, and going back to watch the ones that I missed. And while I understand that just wanting a specific product to be reviewed by your favorite tech youtuber is not the most considerate or possible thing to do, I really feel that it is a worth while product to be reviewed, maybe even in a batch to make for a better video.

The ASUS Vivobook Pro 16 (K6602VV-ES94). It is a thin and light with enough power to handle most if not any work load or games you can throw at it, and it has a 16:10 OLED screen in 3.2K 120Hz for an excellent visual experience. The specific model mentioned has a 96Wh battery, however battery may still be an issue. All of that, however comes to a price of  $1799, discounted at the time of writing to $1499.(Probably a permanent discount)

Then if it is not a worth while video to make on its own then, like I suggested, a batch review of thin and light power houses would make for an interesting video due to the different strengths of Samsung, Apple, and Dell however all with a larger price tag then the Vivobook. And while all the thin and lights, even the Vivobook, are at your discretion to include in the video, I think that the Vivobook Pro 16 (K6602VV-ES94) is one of the best budget thin and light powerhouses on the market in 2023.

There is a Vivobook Pro 16x (K6604) that has the same screen with upgraded internals, however it is obviously bulkier than the (K6602) with an arguably less visually appealing key board, your opinion if the (K6604) can be seen as a thin and light, in my opinion, it is not, but it is still more powerful and only $1999.

Link: https://www.asus.com/us/laptops/for-creators/vivobook/vivobook-pro-16-k6602/

Hey guys, how about a review of Affinity Suite (now in version 2) plus a comparison with the relevant Adobe apps? As a regular Joe and a hater of the subscription based software I support them, but would their apps be robust enough for your professional needs?

https://affinity.serif.com/

No threadripper video released today? I can't quite believe it tbh, it's Linus doesn't care about HEDT anymore 🥹

40 minutes ago, ColinJ451 said:

No threadripper video released today?

Not video time yet I believe, plus people have been pretty vocal lately about "better post late than risk mistakes", so learn patience I guess.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Perhaps as a YouTube short..

Can you use a CPU to heat beans?

As seen in the original portal game in one of the Ratman side rooms.
What is the most effective heat transfer? Is it better to run the CPU under load or will it throttle and you need to keep it closer to idle? Is it better to use a high wattage CPU or something more low power like you might find in an post rouge AI office setting?
20231120115450_1.jpg.8ab6c19852b5bf471a3da972b165013a.jpg

I need to know!! One day this farce we call modern civilization will crumble and I will need to heat my beans!

There is this video about "sound damping tape", manufactured by 3M. It's a quite interesting idea, and the results are quite impressive in the tests.

Which got me thinking… Can we use that to make computers more quiet?

It has a bunch of characteristics of an LTT video:

• Interesting, quirky idea/premise.
  • Surprisingly expensive materials (they claim that tape is quite expensive).
  • Real-world problem (noise) being tackled in an over-the-top way.
  • Opportunity for a DIY tape using cheaper materials and more jank.
  • Opportunity for comparisons of noise and performance and price between just switching coolers to a more quiet version versus putting the tape.
  • Opportunity of testing not just fan noise, but also spinning hard disk noise. And CD/DVD noise (for those retro-enthusiasts that still use disks).

I can envision Linus asking "How much did I pay for this tape?", followed by a pain reaction.

I can imagine running the tests on the labs over multiple hours. Since the tapes transform sound into heat, do they make the computer hotter? Do they make the computer throttle more?

Since there is a lot of air flow holes in a computer, do they leak enough sound that negates the gains of taping the rest of the case with that material? (i.e. is the noise coming from the air flow through the case or coming from vibrations inside the case?)

Is it worth sticking just a strip of the tape, or enveloping a whole case with that tape? (Very expensive!)

Build a custom radiator using Froar systems air jet mini on each heat sink rung of the radiator in addition to traditional fans. 

Find a way to incorporate that cold plate technology from the compensator build, to actively cool the water inside the radiator near the end of the radiators loop. 

Traditional PC vs Wall Mounted PC using the same parts and comparing the thermals

A dive into Coil whine, to see if there is any patterns in where it occures. If it is totally random, or if certain brands, or types of components have special tendencies.

Like if fanless PSUs are more to have it? Or if it is higher power components ect.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

So I had a catastrophic house fire where all of my possessions were destroyed.

I sent my tech out for cleaning,( bad idea it wasn't worth the money), but I have a whole box of fire damaged motherboard, CPU, ram. Several servers etc. Would LTT like to do a rescue the fire damaged parts?