Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 10/23/2023 at 12:35 PM, SansNation said:

If linus will Watercool a keyboard or a mouse then I will also like him to try custom building a watercooled monitor, maybe all in one video or separate videos.

I know there's a video already a video from 2016 with the Origin Omni (All in One computer in a monitor which is also watercooled), but it was origin's concept, so making a watercooled monitor probably isn't a great idea but at least it will be cold.

Let's just go the whole hog and have a completely water cooled setup. Watercooled keyboard, mouse, webcam, monitor, chair, desk, headset, and PC. All on a single loop, lol.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

22 hours ago, SlicingYeti said:

Hi all,

I've recently found out why the audio in my games always seems so skewed - I'm losing hearing in my left ear! My left ear is operating at about 50% efficiency when compared to my right, and it seems to be declining. Now I know why I can never get a proper bead on those footsteps!

I've been looking around for some ways to solve this particular problem, thought you might make a decent video and review some products to help me, and plenty of others I'm sure.

1. Software to boost the audio in one ear so that I could fine tune what I'd need to have equal sound in each ear. 

Or.

2. Bone conduction headphones. Bypass the eardrum completely and go with bone conduction. Problem is, I have zero experience with these headphones, they seem to be mostly geared towards sports like running, so that you can be more away of your surroundings. Would they even work for gaming? And would they be good enough for fast paced competitive gaming?

It has to be said, I'm on a budget here, I can't be spending several hundred on this! I currently use Logitech G Pro Xs and thought they were pretty decent for the £100 I paid for them.

I sincerely hope to hear/see a video on this. It'll help me out loads.

Thanks

Alex

For starters, have you experimented with adjusting the L-R balance? Voicemeeter Banana/Potato might give you a little more granularity, but I mostly just use it to seamlessly avoid having to deal with Windows inputs/outputs (which might be appealing in its own right).

With cloud storage and compute costs being harder to keep under control, especially with lots of offices connecting into centralized data centers from small, remote sites over Starlink / LTE / 4-5G connections, interest seems to be growing in localized caching of data to ensure that latency is low and downtime is minimized.

I have noticed a new trend towards Edge Servers - Lenovo seems to have brough out a great solution in their Lenovo ThinkEdge SE350 V2 Edge Server which has all solid state drives, redundant power, high-end CPU and RAM which all fits inside a half width chassis

The original version even supported a T4 GPU - this would make a very interesting review - especially if it was configured to act as a caching storage server much like a NAS but still able to spin up compute nodes to run phones, print services, and a whole lot more...

Let me know if you think it would be worth LTT's while to evaluate it, regards, CD

LenovoSE350V2ThinkEdge.png

On 10/24/2023 at 5:59 PM, will0hlep said:

Let's just go the whole hog and have a completely water cooled setup. Watercooled keyboard, mouse, webcam, monitor, chair, desk, headset, and PC. All on a single loop, lol.

Thats actually sounds like a great idea!

The all in one watercooled gaming setup.

I imported a bunch of chia servers and thought you guys might be interested in exploring the feasibility of using these as a NAS where you generally are writing once and reading sporadically. They got thrown around in transit so the cases have plenty of popped rivets but got one up and running, internals all look fine. I can give you guys the info to get one up and running so you don't have to waste a bunch of time like I did trying random components to see what it takes to boot one of these things.

Oh and did I mention these were dirty cheap? For four I got them delivered to the US for $155/ea. So 44 drives connected to LGA 1151 (skylake only!) and DDR4 over PCIE Gen 3.0 x16 speeds for that cheap. Thought it would be interesting content to fix one of these up and see how well they can perform. Like I said I have gotten one of these up and running but just am unsure when I'm going to have the time to really deploy one of these and see how they perform.

Can certainly give more info if interested.

IMG_20231006_151758.jpg

IMG_20231006_151721.jpg

I think it'd be cool to do a video about how content distribution networks work for business, especially content creators.

In a recent(ish) video you guys mentioned having a faster internet connection to the Vancouver exchange 'which is basically all the important stuff like Google, ...' (as Linus described it then). For most people CDN's are entirely transparent and you don't need to think about them at all until something goes wrong with a site. There's some fun side topics to it like 'How DO they keep all these nodes across the world synched up so perfectly that it's totally invisible to the end users?', 'how much of the internetwork (i.e. the places where a regional providers like Comcast meet up with each other) traffic is just CDN's replicating information?', and the like.

Idk how much longer I can go without the printer video thats being worked on -- the printer I own now constantly has driver issues where the printer/scanner refuse to work and I'm 10 seconds away from office spacing this damn thing.

As a long-time viewer, this is a very good idea for the new video: Calling out manufacturers who don't upgrade their wifi routers

If you check all online stores, you will find products like TP-Link Deco P9, a mesh powerline system, being bought by a great deal of people, because it actually somewhat delivers what it promises. It has a fairly simple set of functions and if you think about it, it is enough for the majority of people. People like parents and so on. The problem lies in the firmware update, where they published the last one two years ago. They have a lot of problems and for such products, manufacturers are getting away with not providing any support for it. 

For TP-Link you can write on the forum, but other than that, many people have similar problems which are simply being ignored. And those products are not cheap.

If would suggest researching few of the brands and their products for firmware updates and I am sure it would be an interesting find. I have been contacting them with over two years and not getting anything significant in return. Also simply check the regularity of the update, one per year and so on. I feel that LTT is  the only player in the industry which could demand manufacturers to have more responsibility toward their consumers.

TP-Link:

- Deco P9: 27, January 2021

I have an ancient server that I toy around with whenever I'm bored. I was trying to install some new programs and kept coming up with conflicts and errors due to previous tinkerings. I was about to do the classic scorched earth reformat and reinstall, but decided to ssh in dump all the error messages into chatgpt. Not a fancy install into terminal, just the web version. With a little guidance it was so quick and easy to find out what services were running where, check current configs, file locations, version differences and other pitfalls as well as set up some other services and security I could either not get to work before or had no way to test, it just told me how. I was even getting lazy and asking for shortcuts for the text editors I can never remember. I think a video that shows just how easy it can be to run a server, even when you only touch it occasionally and can't remember what you did could show how much less stressful it needs to be. 

I have a ZFold 3. It has a problem were if I fully open the screen the wifi turns off then the screen freezes, then it powers off. Anyone interested in them doing a repair video on a fold? 

So, I just got a Newegg Rosewill SMG 1050W PSU

And one of the cables it includes is this:

I'm curious what this could handle for power draw before melting.....  (Cuz 600W off that seems...  optimistic)

Review the ThinkPad X230 Tablet. Or the X220T. Or the X201T. Or X61T. 41T. Dell Latitude XT3, XT2, XT. Hp TC4400 Tablet.

There are other reviews from other youtubers, but I feel like LTT will have a unique way to present the class of laptops previously owned by only the CEOs of companies.

Or contrast it with the "ThinkBook Plus Gen 4 Intel (13”)".

svirb56n5g9ggyodwfmemte7acdqvo918019.png

are there any legitimate brands that use wish because they dont have the resources to market their own products? or is it just a bunch of private sellers looking to hawk the cheapest crap they can for money? also what would be the most obscure brand of home appliance I could get? idea being look at wish for a product and finding a brand that you can buy directly from their site....... without needing a fire extinguisher 

I’ve seen you cool multiple CPUs with a chiller (sub-0). Each time you take a lot of precautions to minimize condensation. You should try to get the relative humidity around the computer to 0%, then chill it. You might have to put in in a vacuum. No moisture, no condensation, no problem (in theory?)

I have seen so many phase change coolers and liquid nitrogen coolers but they always suffer with condensation issues. Why can't you combine that idea with a miniral oil bath build? If the build is under oil then it can't get condensation right? I have commented it on so many videos but it goes unseen.

So I don’t know if they have these in Vancouver, but down in the south there’s all sorts of houses that go all out for Christmas. They add light after light, LED Walls, Controllable Signs. ETC. But what makes it cool is how they’re all synched to Christmas music! (Here’s a video if you haven’t seen these:

) I’ve seen that these are generally controlled by Arduinos and such, and I’d love to see a video where the team sets one of these up at Linus’ house! I think seeing how it’s all made would be absolutely sick.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Directly from Brazil 🇧🇷

This company is a national one that promises to make good quality laptops with a desktop CPU

https://www.2amgaming.com/

The laptops have quite old GPU by now, but I think it's still good for a testing video

https://www.2amgaming.com/notebook-gamer-2am-e550-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-3gb-freedos-core-i7-9-geracao-16gb-ssd-128gb---1tb-fullhd-15/p

Hey, i live by the sea and i have a big problem with all my electronics called "Sea Salt Aerosol".

I would really appreciate if Linus would make a video on how to to keep my computer up and running in this hazardous environment, my brand new pc case mesh got completely corroded in 4 months, so i worry about how long my components will last without some proper care, should i clean all my components monthly, bathe them in something, or coat them? hell i don't know, that's why i'd love a in-depth video on this since there isn't much information on it on the internet.

Many people choose to live the usb-c laptop + external monitor life, but many of these people do not have a usb-c monitor yet. In pursuit of the cleanest setup, the best choice for these people might be the monitor mounted usb-c hub. Power goes into the hub. HDMI travels a short distance from the monitor and also connects to the hub. Peripherals are on the hub and then a single usb-c cable transfers, power, image and data from the USB hub to the laptop making this a clean single cable solution. 
Hub access will take a hit ( if you want to frequently connect and disconnect stuff, this isn't for you ) but office workers will prefer this. 

So this is clean setup on a budget :] 

My idea is simple Have a Challenge group,  set up that the group can challenge thr LMG team so say if this gentlemens challenge is the top voted it is then passed over to them with an "I Dare You" .