This seems like a ridiculus item, I want it, do you guys think? (Pentium Xeon III)

I'm somewhat new to the PC scene, but what's up with this thing's name? is it like a Supra-Celica situation where they both used to be the same thing but then seperated?

Also this thing seems to be an add-in card (like a modern GPU), so does this mean you could literally slot multiple CPUs into a PC, and if so why can't we do that today?

Found on ebay, when looking for a collectible gift for a computer friend

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/706-53473-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=313482255424&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229529&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

3 minutes ago, Alex300ZX said:

I'm somewhat new to the PC scene, but what's up with this thing's name? is it like a Supra-Celica situation where they both used to be the same thing but then seperated?

Also this thing seems to be an add-in card (like a modern GPU), so does this mean you could literally slot multiple CPUs into a PC, and if so why can't we do that today?

Found on ebay, when looking for a collectible gift for a computer friend

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/706-53473-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=313482255424&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229529&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

All Pentium III were slotted *EDIT: Most were, not all

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

2 minutes ago, Alex300ZX said:

No, it's not. The CPUs around this time were mounted on cards, instead of sockets, so the cache could be closer to the CPU.

That's not needed anymore since the cache is integrated into the CPU die.

Intel's version of the socket was called Slot 1.

Just now, Wyzzy Moon said:

All Pentium III were slotted

That is false. Some were slotted, some were socketed. You could get Slot 1 to Socket 370 adapters.

elephants

2 minutes ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

All Pentium III were slotted *EDIT: Most were, not all

How would that work exactly? I'm just imagining a motherboard just full of slots. Did you mean they would be slotted into a computer with a normal CPU?

Just now, Alex300ZX said:

How would that work exactly? I'm just imagining a motherboard just full of slots. Did you mean they would be slotted into a computer with a normal CPU?

No there would be a slot next to where the ram is. Kind of like the ram slots. But you'd slide a daughterboard in with the CPU on. Google for pentium 3 slot pictures and you'll see 

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

1 minute ago, Alex300ZX said:

This is how:

Spoiler

MB, P3V4X REV.1.02

This is the motherboard I have.

The black slot is a 16-bit ISA slots, the beige slots are PCI slots, and the brown slot is an AGP slot.

You can see the 4 RAM slots, and the big brown one is the CPU slot.

elephants

* thread moved to the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

image.png.c374468bc991f82b2078c47a5916f544.png

I had a dual slot Pentium II board back in the day.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Mmmm AGP slot. How quaint.

Pentium II and slower PIII CPU's were slot based. AMD also made slot-based CPU's.

However, being slot based, they were limited... In order to get past I think it was 650mhz, and past a 100mhz bus, they went to Socket 370 for Intel, and Socket A for AMD.

Socket 370 supported CPU's up to 1.4 ghz, Socket A went up to around 2 ghz.

Socket 370 was replaced with Socket 478, and Socket A was replaced by Socket 939.

As far as a PIII Xeon... They were really cool. I had the chance to play with a dual PIII server, but it didn't run Xeons. The Xeon used Slot 2, instead of Slot 1. Though, the Socket 370 version used Socket 370. Though I can't seem to find any Xeon Socket 370 stuff...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022