how to lower temp on RTX 2080 S?

frozensun

Well my friends,I've tried what I could do,installing fan blowing to backplate,installing fan blowing directly to graphics card,and maybe temp lower only 1° C.

I have Zotac Amp Extreme edition and probably 80° C is normal for this model but I want it to run around 70 ° C and don't care about performance lost with few fps lower since I play older titles and fps >100.

So I suppose only way to undervolt or increase fan speed,but I don't like gpu fan noise.

How do I do undervolt and which values to set?

I suppose only move the power slider in MSI AB to like hmm 80 %,dunno...

I mean 80 C is maybe perfectly fine for it,but guys trust me,I can't even hold finger for a split of a second on a card.

One fan is set by stock with 200 mm blowing into the card and second one was set blowing to the backplate and nothing not evne single 1 degree lower.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Airflow within case seems to me to be less important than overall case airflow. Just get that fresh air in and out of the case as efficiently as possible. Reported temp is usually the core so cooling the backplate is unlikely to do much.

If your goal is to reduce temps, then the obvious solution is to set a temperature limit. Anything else can and will vary with ambient temperatures. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, frozensun said:

80° C is normal for this model but I want it to run around 70 ° C

Any reason or?

6 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I can't even hold finger for a split of a second on a card.

Your finger isn't made from synthetic materials. Your finger also couldn't touch a 40w light bulb despite the light bulb running at it's normal operating temp.

A much easier way to lower the temp of the gpu is just running the games at lower setting or with a frame rate cap enabled. Theres a chance your titles may be old but the card is running them at 400fps which causes it to be overworked for the task at hand. 

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I mean 80 C is maybe perfectly fine for it,but guys trust me,I can't even hold finger for a split of a second on a card.

Question: Why would you do that? Backplates always get that hot under load. Some GPUs even have a caution warning on the backplate saying that it may be very hot. As mentioned above, all you can do is lower the temperature target/limit in MSI Afterburner if you want the card to run around 70C.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

22 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Question: Why would you do that? Backplates always get that hot under load. Some GPUs even have a caution warning on the backplate saying that it may be very hot. As mentioned above, all you can do is lower the temperature target/limit in MSI Afterburner if you want the card to run around 70C.

Oh okay,how % should I set?

I want because 80 C is wayyyy to hot for any card.

Answer: Heat is an enemy to electronics.

24 minutes ago, porina said:

Airflow within case seems to me to be less important than overall case airflow. Just get that fresh air in and out of the case as efficiently as possible. Reported temp is usually the core so cooling the backplate is unlikely to do much.

If your goal is to reduce temps, then the obvious solution is to set a temperature limit. Anything else can and will vary with ambient temperatures. 

What you mean set temp limit?U mean power limit?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Answer: Heat is an enemy to electronics.

So is cold, if it's unreasonable. Both are acceptable as long as they're running within spec - those parts are engineered to sustain such temperatures. For instance AMD states that their latest 5000 series can run at 90C, even up to 95C on the 5600X which is within spec and by design to allow for higher performance.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I want because 80 C is wayyyy to hot for any card.

That's simply not true, no component on the GPU has its temperature threshold below 80C. You need to understand this is all by design.

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Oh okay,how % should I set?

rfYTv7n.png
On my version of Afterburner Temp. Limit is in degrees Celsius - what % are you talking about?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

30 minutes ago, frozensun said:

What you mean set temp limit?U mean power limit?

I mean temperature limit. You want to reduce temperatures. There is a slider to do exactly that. Use it. Now an annoying feature of MSI afterburner is sometimes it links the temp to the power limits, you might have to click the thing to the side to break that connection.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Ok guys.

So should I set temp or power limit or both?

I haven't even notice that there is temp limit too.

Sorry Morgan.

So what values to set and don't get artifacts?

35 minutes ago, porina said:

I mean temperature limit. You want to reduce temperatures. There is a slider to do exactly that. Use it. Now an annoying feature of MSI afterburner is sometimes it links the temp to the power limits, you might have to click the thing to the side to break that connection.

Is it okay to put 75 C as temp limit?

Will I get artifacts?

If yes what values to put?

You asked this very question not so long ago....the conclusion is still the same.

22 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Ok guys.

So should I set temp or power limit or both?

I haven't even notice that there is temp limit too.

Sorry Morgan.

So what values to set and don't get artifacts?

Power limit basically limits your max boost clocks on modern GPUs, so essentially it doesn't boost as high due to limiting maximum power draw of the card - this probably should lower the temps, but also performance.

Temp limit means that the card will target 70C for instance and it will downclock itself to maintain that temperature threshold. Both work similarly in practice, but the settings themselves affect different aspects of the card. There should be no artifacting no matter how you set those. You can set temp limit first and go from there, leave the power limit as it is preferably.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Power limit basically limits your max boost clocks on modern GPUs, so essentially it doesn't boost as high due to limiting maximum power draw of the card - this probably should lower the temps, but also performance.

Temp limit means that the card will target 70C for instance and it will downclock itself to maintain that temperature threshold. Both work similarly in practice, but the settings themselves affect different aspects of the card. There should be no artifacting no matter how you set those. You can set temp limit first and go from there, leave the power limit as it is preferably.

Yeah but I forgot to tell u that in two of my recent games I get in msi afterburner osd smth like this popping out LIMIT:PWR 

What does it mean?

Yeah but I forgot to tell u that in two of my recent games I get in msi afterburner osd smth like this popping out LIMIT:PWR 

What does it mean?

It's possible that the card at stock settings boosts itself high-enough that it hits the stock power limit for the card. This would probably disappear if you maxed out the power limit. Clock speeds would most likely be higher too as a result, but so would the temps potentially.

24 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's possible that the card at stock settings boosts itself high-enough that it hits the stock power limit for the card. This would probably disappear if you maxed out the power limit. Clock speeds would most likely be higher too as a result, but so would the temps potentially.

it boosts at 1980 MHz.

Bit I get this warming only in some games,I think in games that have awesome graphics.

So basically it is telling me that needs more power to run the game?

But I don't get FPS lost.

So I'd need to OC the card,right?

Buit no reason for it hmm I get more then 100 fps.

Why does it happen in only certain games,which really have beautiful graphics?

18 minutes ago, frozensun said:

it boosts at 1980 MHz.

Bit I get this warming only in some games,I think in games that have awesome graphics.

Why does it happen in only certain games,which really have beautiful graphics?

That's a decent boost clock. You get that warning in those more GPU-intensive titles because they stress the GPU more to its full extent.

So basically it is telling me that needs more power to run the game?

But I don't get FPS lost.

No, it's telling you that the stock power limit placed by the manufacturer is being hit, meaning that if the card had more room to use more power, it could potentially deliver more performance and it is often the case when you max the power limit out.

So I'd need to OC the card,right?

Buit no reason for it hmm I get more then 100 fps.

No, you can let the card run unconstrained with a higher power limit, or you can leave it as it is and just let it draw as much power as the manufacturer of the card decided it should at stock settings.

28 minutes ago, frozensun said:

It is not a warning. It is a normal operating status indicator. GPUs will boost themselves as far as they can until they hit one of several limits. One of those limits is power. That's ok, and nothing to be concerned about. If you lower the thermal limit and hit that, then you would instead see thermal limit given as the reason. 

1 hour ago, porina said:

It is not a warning. It is a normal operating status indicator. GPUs will boost themselves as far as they can until they hit one of several limits. One of those limits is power. That's ok, and nothing to be concerned about. If you lower the thermal limit and hit that, then you would instead see thermal limit given as the reason. 

oh okay.,so if I understood you correctly the game is giving a graphics card info that it requests higher boost for GPU,right and GPU is sending AB a signal that it hit power limit,right?

Or I'm misunderstanding all this...

The problem is that it happens only in some/rare games I play.

I'm confused,1980 MHz is decent clock,who and why wants more?

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

oh okay.,so if I understood you correctly the game is giving a graphics card info that it requests higher boost for GPU,right and GPU is sending AB a signal that it hit power limit,right?

At a basic level, the game will try to draw frames as fast as it can, unless there is some limit. The game does not directly try to alter the GPU running. The GPU will then try to do that as fast as it can. If it is not thermally limited, it will boost. If it is not power limited, it will boost. If it is not voltage limited, it will boost. Depending on what a game does, and other conditions, you may hit one or more of those limits.

If you run a frame rate limiter for example, then there will be down time for the GPU. If I find a GPU too hot/noisy that is another alternative to reduce power/heat. On some games I don't need more than 60fps, or maybe limit to 72fps.

5 minutes ago, porina said:

At a basic level, the game will try to draw frames as fast as it can, unless there is some limit. The game does not directly try to alter the GPU running. The GPU will then try to do that as fast as it can. If it is not thermally limited, it will boost. If it is not power limited, it will boost. If it is not voltage limited, it will boost. Depending on what a game does, and other conditions, you may hit one or more of those limits.

If you run a frame rate limiter for example, then there will be down time for the GPU. If I find a GPU too hot/noisy that is another alternative to reduce power/heat. On some games I don't need more than 60fps, or maybe limit to 72fps.

Oooh okay.Thanks for info.

So I can limit the FPS to any number and then I suppose lower the temp of GPU core,right?

How do I limit FPS in games?

I know for only one way via enabling V-sync...if that is it.

How do I limit FPS in games?

I know for only one way via enabling V-sync...if that is it.

To your original desire of controlling the temperature, just use the temperature limiter. That's what it is for. Anything else is just complicating matters.

With games, it depends on the game, some offer fixed fps, some offer V-sync or fractional rates (only useful on high refresh displays). I think there is a setting somewhere in nvidia's driver to pick any number you want but I never used it.

OK,I set temp limit to 74 C,lost few frames but I don't care since fps>100.

I'm happy with it, 6-7 °C is small decrease but my GPU could now get some fresh air from air conditioner 😄

Though lost 100 MHz to GPu core but that doesn't matter to me,every game as you said is playble at even 60 though I preffer for fps way higher.

Hell I played games when I was poor with 13 fps back in 2000 y.

Thank you dear friends.