Should I drive 2 hrs to Micro Center this morning to upgrade my 2700x to a 5000 series Ryzen?

Budget (including currency):  $400-500 USD (or more, depends)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Escape from Tarkov, Vermintide 2, etc, OBS, Streaming/Recording

Other details So this morning I found out the Micro Centers nearby across the State border have the 5600x and 5800x Ryzen CPU’s in stock. They’re much cheaper than I can find online but the problem is it’s about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive depending on which store I visit in Chi-town. (I guess there’s two)

I currently have a Ryzen 7 2700x, in an Asus Prime x470-Pro motherboard, 16gb’s of DDR4 3200mhz RAM, and an EVGA 1070 SC GPU with a 600 watt 80 Plus White EVGA PSU, gaming at 2560x1080 resolution UW 75hz LG monitor. I would rather upgrade my GPU first to a 3070 or 3080 if I can find one there, so a bonus part of this trip would be checking for GPU’s as soon as they open for a restock of any graphics cards. (No chance, I know)

I spent all night talking to a friend online about how my 1070 should be getting more frames and that it’s my CPU bottlenecking me right now for games like Tarkov, especially while trying to stream, etc. So my question is since I can’t find CPU’s online for a decent price that are IN stock, and Micro Center has at least 17-25 units of the 5600x right now for $299 , would that be worth making the trip to buy as an upgrade for my system since I can’t upgrade the GPU currently (I wasn’t one of the fast ones when the Verified Actual Gamer Program went live, attempts were made).  Or when I get there would buying a 5800x for obo $430 be more worthwhile as an upgrade from the 2700x I have right now?

I also know I need to upgrade my PSU at some point so as an added bonus maybe they would have a decently priced power supply, though finding one in the LTT A-Tier list I’m not so sure about.

Thanks for any insight or advice!

You have not mentioned your motherboard. 

If it's x470, b450 you should read about upgrade process and if people with your specific motherboard have problems after upgrading to 5000 series cpu.  

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Sorry about that! I will edit it in, it’s an Asus Prime x470-Pro motherboard. From what I’ve read there has been a Bios update so it should work, I’m not 100% so if anyone knows for sure that would be very helpful.

Edit: also watching Hardware Unboxed’s video about the 5800x is putting me off of considering it over the 5600x.

One of my questions is buying the 5600x to replace a 2700x worth it for gaming/streaming when losing 2 cores but gaining a bit in clock speed, etc?

Edited by casedistorted

Get the gpu first if available.

CPU upgrade will have minimum result in gaming.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

21 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Get the gpu first if available.

CPU upgrade will have minimum result in gaming.

Do you think getting a CPU upgrade from a 2700x to a 5600x would improve my overall FPS while playing games like Tarkov/Vermintide 2 or other graphically heavy games while also streaming and trying to record gameplay footage? 

At the moment my FPS drops in some of these more demanding games while using OBS, etc is pretty dramatic with the 2700x+1070 combo, I’m hoping a better CPU might help alleviate some of that until I can find a 30 series GPU.

No, in contrary you're loosing 2 cpu cores, if the problem is multiprocessing, then you get no benefit going 5600x.

You can monitor the cpu usage, if close to 100% then yeah you have cpu problem, if not then your gpu is maxout.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

No, in contrary you're loosing 2 cpu cores, if the problem is multiprocessing, then you get no benefit going 5600x.

You can monitor the cpu usage, if close to 100% then yeah you have cpu problem, if not then your gpu is maxout.

Ok, thank you! Not sure what my friend was talking about saying that throwing out my Ryzen and getting an Intel would give me a massive FPS boost in gaming/streaming and such.  He was telling me I could go for a better Ryzen but Intel is always better or something.

Not sure I agree with him but he was trying to tell me that my gpu should be pushing more frames but a better CPU would make a huge difference since Im bottlenecked.  I’m starting to think he was drunk last night.

4 hours ago, casedistorted said:

getting an Intel would give me a massive FPS boost in gaming/streaming

Yeah he's 5 years too late for that argument, get him to watch recent LTT videos.

4 hours ago, casedistorted said:

gpu should be pushing more frames but a better CPU would make a huge difference since Im bottlenecked

Yeah bottleneck by the GPU that is. Run a game , open task manager, check if CPU is close to 100% or not, if not your CPU isn't the bottleneck.

The 5600X and 5800X are always in stock at the two Micro Centers near me. I think that will start to trickle out to retail sites at MSRP pretty quickly here.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.